2020 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 8th Gen [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps...

Notifications
Clear all
  RSS

Dmitry F
(@dmitry_f)

Set-up

[Please login to see this]

Generally I've followed all the steps described here - https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/ds4m9v/core_x_chroma_rtx_2070_super_nuc8i5_finally/

So, in short:

1. Checked that all Thuderbolt related software and firmware are up to date. I've used everything native from Lenovo. Did not download something special.
  2. Adjusted power option in NVidia Control panel
  3. Adjusted Windows 10 Power Options (keep in mind, that you probably have to switch to the Linux sleep state in the BIOS setting to be able to make fine tuning in Win10 Power Options)
  4. First two are crucial. Without them you are almost guaranteed to have freezes while you are not loading your eGPU, i.e. browsing.
  5. Adjusted GPU registry settings
  6. And to make eGPU working in pre-boot (i.e. on login screen) I've adjusted Thuderbolt BIOS security settings to allow such stuff. This is a trade-off, because it make your notebook more vulnerable to external TB exploits. So consider this before applying.
  7. Also, I've noticed no real difference between using DCH or STANDART drivers for NVidia. But I'm using STANDART in long run just to be sure.

All details are in the link above.

After this I've heavily tested my build for some weeks. No freezes, crashed, BSOD or disconnects. Also, plug-and-play works fine. I can just unplug my TB3 cable from notebook, then plug it back and everything will be working. Keep in mind, that it is still recommended to gracefully disconnect your eGPU in i.e. Device Manager before such disconnects.

Btw, I've experienced some random freezes and disconnects when I was using 2 meters TB3 active cable from CableMatters, so I had to switch back with the native Razer 0.5 meters cable. After this no issues has been observed.

Some high level benchmarks. I did not collect any in depth metrics. Just personal experience constantly looking at FPS counter. Everything maxed out on the external 1440p monitor. FPS are average during varied gameplay:

• Doom Eternal
    • 60 FPS
  • Ghostunner
    • 60 FPS
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
    • 45 FPS
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
    • 60 FPS
    • All NVidia works ON - 45 FPS

But sadly, I have some issue (topic here) with NVidia drivers after 451.48 version. I can't run games that are using DX12. I.e. Cyberpunk 2077 or Ghostrunner in DX12 mode. The only version that is working for me is 446.14. But it is a kind of unplayable, because of some visual artifacts. Investigation is in progress. (solved, see realted thread)

This topic was modified 7 months ago
2020 14" Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 8th Gen [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

mr.ribeiro and itsage liked
ReplyQuote