2020 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 ...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10  

RSS

Andy Chu
(@andy_chu)

System Spec:

Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 8 i7-10610U/16GB/DDR3/1TD SSD

External Monitor: Asus VG27A 27 inches

Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock Gen 2

External GPU: RTX 2080 Ti AORUS Gaming Box

In the beginning, I followed the install instructions from Gigabyte handy manual.  No need to approve the connection, it was connected automatically.  Download official Nvidia software and ultility software from Gigabyte and simply installed it.  It worked.  However, system freezed whenever I booted up the computer for few mins.  I realised that I need to connect the gaming box thunderbolt cable to X1 after windows was fully loaded, it will work normal.  I updated to latest Nvidia drivers, it worked the same.  If I didn't unplug the cable before boot up the system, it freezed all the time after short time using it.

It was not fine for me so I browsed many builds in this web site.

Very simple here, I go to Nvidia Control Panel, change to /Mange 3D setting/Global setting/Power Management Mode/Prefer Maximum Performance. 

Go to Registry editor, add the below two keys manually:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

Key Value: TdrDelay, Value Type don't change, Value data put to 10

Key Value: TdrDdiDelay, Value Type don't change, Value data put to 20

Reference topic:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/random-freezing-in-windows-10-pro-with-intel-nuci7beh-razor-core-x-gtx-2060-super/paged/4/#post-76639

It works fine now, no more issue.  However, you got to log in to windows to turn on the screen.  Even you change the boot to external display or thunderbolt in the bios, it doesn’t turn on the screen before log in windows.

Unigine Valley benchmark

2020 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 8 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote