2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 21H1  

of  2
  RSS

Cthugha
(@cthugha)

Laptop is ~6 months old. Just purchased and installed eGPU and enclosure this weekend. Will update with photos and benchmarks.

My first eGPU build Smile

System specs

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9500 (2020)

CPU: Intel Core i7-10750H (6 cores)

iGPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630

dGPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti

RAM: 32 GB DDR4

Storage: 1 TB NVMe SSD

Ports: 2x TB3, 1x USB-C

Internal monitor: 15.6" touch 16:10 UHD+ (3840x2400)

External monitor: AOC AG352UCG6 35" curved 21:9 WQHD (3440x1440) 120hz G-Sync

eGPU hardware

Enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma

eGPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 TUF Gaming OC 8GB

Thunderbolt cable: Cable Matters 2m active 40Gbps TB4 cable with 100W charging

Hardware pictures

During initial setup and testing:

1. Installing the eGPU
  2. Connected and testing (topmost picture)

Installation steps

The Core X Chroma is currently connected directly to my laptop, with all my USB devices plugged in to the enclosure (no extra dock/hub).

I've also tried:

• Connecting the enclosure via my Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt 3 dock (USB devices plugged in to the dock)
  • Connecting the enclosure to laptop TB3 port 1 and the dock to port 2 (USB devices plugged in to the dock)

External monitor connected via DP.

Laptop and Win10 is warning about slow charging since the enclosure can only provide 100W (vs 130W with Dell charger/dock) - haven't noticed any issues with this since the dGPU is not used, laptop battery is always 100% charged.

Initial graphics stuttering fixed by manually disabling the laptop dGPU - hopefully only a temporary solution.

Unable to update RTX 3070 BIOS - solved by enabling the laptop dGPU and disconnecting the external monitor.

Benchmarks

Some quick tests before tweaking:

1. 3DMark Time Spy score @ 1440p - 10 306 (excellent)

2. CUDA-Z - 2265.42 MiB/s host to device

Comments

This topic was modified 3 months ago
2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

Boltoway, goalque, mr.ribeiro and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Maksym Karlash
(@maksym_karlash)

@cthugha, Hi, I have pretty same build, but I have a problem with turning on a laptop, I just want it to wake up from hibernation with external keyboard but there is no option in devices. May be you meet the same issue?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Cthugha
(@cthugha)

@maksym_karlash

I haven't attempted that (yet). But someone suggested another solution in my thread here, using the eGPU enclosure power switch.

Have you managed to solve the issues that I mention in that post?
(GPU BIOS update, having to manually disable dGPU to avoid stuttering, BitLocker recovery, external monitor not active until after Windows logon)

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Maksym Karlash
(@maksym_karlash)

@cthugha
1) BitLocker - I have disabled bitlocker because I dont actually need this, so recovery is gone
2)  external monitor not active until after Windows logon - I have enabled settings in bios, this is thunderbolt settings, now i have my login screen on external monitor

3) having to manually disable dGPU to avoid stuttering - I didn't meet this issue, my laptop uses only eGPU, no activity of dGPU

but no, some apps use dGPU  but if some great load like game it uses only eGPU for it

f6438ca0 570b08b95e3c83

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Maksym Karlash
(@maksym_karlash)

@cthugha, actually event razer core x chroma does not provide enough power (90W) to work with laptop, there are several errors notifying it (it works but not full power as it says).

The native dell AC adapter provides 130W

So I use native AC adapter in addition to razer core thunderbolt

ReplyQuote
Cthugha
(@cthugha)

Posted by: @maksym_karlash

@cthugha
1) BitLocker - I have disabled bitlocker because I dont actually need this, so recovery is gone
2)  external monitor not active until after Windows logon - I have enabled settings in bios, this is thunderbolt settings, now i have my login screen on external monitor

3) having to manually disable dGPU to avoid stuttering - I didn't meet this issue, my laptop uses only eGPU, no activity of dGPU

but no, some apps use dGPU  but if some great load like game it uses only eGPU for it

f6438ca0 570b08b95e3c83

1) Yeah, I had to disable it too. Found no other way to solve it.

2) Which setting is that? I've tried the ones shown in your screenshot and they did not help, so I disabled them again today.

3) That's weird... As soon as I enable it I get graphics stuttering in both Windows desktop and games. What is your setup? Same laptop, dGPU and eGPU enclosure?

Posted by: @maksym_karlash

@cthugha, actually event razer core x chroma does not provide enough power (90W) to work with laptop, there are several errors notifying it (it works but not full power as it says).

The native dell AC adapter provides 130W

So I use native AC adapter in addition to razer core thunderbolt

Those warnings can be safely ignored if you want to have a single cable solution. The laptop will never use >90W without using the dGPU (and internal screen). Confirmed with Dell support, that it's ok and will not throttle.

ReplyQuote
Maksym Karlash
(@maksym_karlash)

@cthugha, Im using 
dell xps 15 9500
razer core chroma

tripple 4k monotor 60hz

gforce 1080ti

about login screen, the first I see now is login screen, nothing before.

but before I set the thunderbolt setting in bios, I had to login with laptop and only then external monitor turned on

ReplyQuote
Cthugha
(@cthugha)

@maksym_karlash

I still didn't get anything on my external monitor until after login, even with those TB settings (boot support and pre-boot modules). I had them both enabled for a few days but still had to use my laptop to login.

Are you sure that is what solved it for you? No other settings you've also changed?

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
Maksym Karlash
(@maksym_karlash)

@cthugha, there is also another setting you can try called thunderbolt security level (NO SECURITY option). this setting is used with settings described earlier.

But notice that eGPU is not turned on correctly after bios restart, I have this issue by the way, may be you not.
So if eGPU is not recognized after bios boot, I do :
1) turn off pc
2) disable eGPU thunderbolt
3) turn on pc
4) connect eGPU (it is recognized ok)
5) reboot pc - and voila eGPU is working

20210413 184447

ReplyQuote
Cthugha
(@cthugha)

@maksym_karlash

I've again tried all combinations of these BIOS settings. Nothing solves the external monitor before logon issue. And with the Thunderbolt Boot Support option enabled I don't even get external mouse & keyboard.

All my USB devices are Razer products. My monitor is a 34" ultrawide AOC.

BIOS, drivers, etc all updated to the latest.

Really weird...

ReplyQuote
 of  2