2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // first Thunderbolt 4 build  

of  4
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@General_Kramar, M.2 connection is still better due to higher bandwidth and no Thunderbolt encoding/decoding.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Matthew Kwong
(@matthew_kwong)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @itsage

@General_Kramar, M.2 connection is still better due to higher bandwidth and no Thunderbolt encoding/decoding.

Yeah, the only downside is no laptops actually designed in a way which allow us to connect an M.2 eGPU without modifying the chassis (and void the warrenty) or opening the lid.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9
Gigabyte AORUS RTX 3080 Gaming Box

ReplyQuote
ritterbutzke
(@ritterbutzke)
Eminent Member

Is there any difference between Icelake and Tigerlake using TB3 enclosures? Hope we see TB4 enclosures soon

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@ritterbutzke, Regarding Thunderbolt 3 connection, both Ice Lake and Tiger Lake should perform similarly. The CPU TDP for each laptop would be a more significant factor.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ryan Zeelie
(@ryan_zeelie)

@itsage, I noticed that in the thunderbolt control center picture it says 'Thunderbolt 3". Is there a reason for that? I have a the same specs as you in a different laptop but mine says Thunderbolt 4

2020 14" MECHREVO S3 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@ryan_zeelie, I believe the Thunderbolt Control Center on my unit was older so it didn't show the correct Thunderbolt 4 version.

ReplyQuote
Ryan Zeelie
(@ryan_zeelie)

@itsage, Ah I see! Thanks!

2020 14" MECHREVO S3 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
David Márquez Mato
(@david_marquez_mato)

@itsage, I have been researching about TB4 for a while and If I am not misstaken your AIDA snapshot indicates that the enclosure is using only 22Gbit/s (like TB3 to TB3 enclosure).

I understand that this is because the limit of the TB3 chip inside the eGPU enclosure, that If I am not wrong means that the only advantage of TB4 in the laptop's side is the latency reduction.

In other word, It seams to mean that when TB4 enclosures arrive we would be able of reach the 32Gbit/s (with a ~45% gain of performace, in the best case scenario, it is only thinking in the bandwith).

I know that the difference between TB3 and M.2 is ~20% in terms of eGPU memory write performance (Best External Graphics Card Builds - eGPU.io), but M.2 don't reach the 32Gbit/s (maybe because of PCH wiring instead of CPU direct wiring??).

Now, I am waiting for the thunderbot 4 enclosures to see if the eGPU is a good option for only have a laptop/ultrabook for everything.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@david_marquez_mato, Yes the connection limitation is on the eGPU enclosure atm. I'm not sure Intel allows full 32Gb/s on eGFX products even with Thunderbolt 4 controller enclosures. We will have to wait for production units to test.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@david_marquez_mato, I don't think Thunderbolt 4 or USB4 devices will have greater PCIe bandwidth than 24 Gbps. While there exists USB4/Thunderbolt 4 host controllers (Tiger Lake, M1 Mac, Maple Ridge), there don't exist any high bandwidth USB4/Thunderbolt 4 devices yet. We have to wait until they exist before we can do benchmarks. NVMe enclosures that claim to be USB4 are actually only Thunderbolt with USB connection capability. 

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
 of  4