2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Bo...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // first Thunderbolt 4 build  

of  4
  RSS

odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @joevt

@david_marquez_mato, I don't think Thunderbolt 4 or USB4 devices will have greater PCIe bandwidth than 24 Gbps. While there exists USB4/Thunderbolt 4 host controllers (Tiger Lake, M1 Mac, Maple Ridge), there don't exist any high bandwidth USB4/Thunderbolt 4 devices yet. We have to wait until they exist before we can do benchmarks. NVMe enclosures that claim to be USB4 are actually only Thunderbolt with USB connection capability. 

I think we'll eventually get Goshen Ridge eGPU clients, but it may take a while.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 Jose
(@Jose)

2021 HP Spectre 14 x360 owner here. Who told you the 16GB config was signal channel? 16GB seems to be the highest tier and upon checking my system with CPU-Z we both have the same CPU and my memory is running in Quad-Channel mode.

You may actually be correct about the build quality. However, I absolutely love the keyboard on the Spectre. Very clicky clacky and just, nice. I didn't get that feeling when I tried the Lenovo 7i/9i. But to each their own.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
asheviii90
(@asheviii90)

@itsage

I have the same laptop model, appreciate if you can assist me in setting up the eGPU.

HP Spectre x360  14-EA0054TU, a 2-in1 convertible specs as follows:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 (up to 4.7 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB L3 cache, 4 cores, 8 threads)

GPU: Intel Iris XE

Storage: 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD

Ports: 2 Thunderbolt™ 4 with USB4™ Type-C® 40Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge); 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 10Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge); 1 headphone/microphone combo

Memory: 16 GB LPDDR4x-3733 MHz RAM (onboard) Transfer rates up to 3733 MT/s. onboard

EGPU: AORUS RTX2070 Gaming Box 

The thunderbolt recognised that Aorus Gaming Box is connected, but it doesnt show in the device manager.

This post was modified 9 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@asheviii90, Do you see a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager at all? Does the fan on the GPU itself spin? It may be a hardware issue with the graphics card if it doesn't show up in Windows at all.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
asheviii90
(@asheviii90)

@itsage,

Hi thank you for the reply. Yes there's not even Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in the Device Manager. The gaming box LED and Fan is working definitely. After plugged in, only the connection sound and aorus gaming box in the thunderbolt control center, BUT no automatic software/driver installation and nothing shown in the device manager. When going to device settings, it shows the gaming box as USB-HID Device with mouse icon on it. Is this normal?

I have been plugging in and out based on what i've read on here, reddit and youtube. Multiple install/uninstall and updating bios, drivers and softwares both in win10 and win11.

I'm starting to worry that something is wrong with it and to return this to the guy that i bought this used gaming box from.

This post was modified 9 months ago

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@asheviii90, You should remove the graphics card from the enclosure and test it with a different system such as desktop PC. Due to the large cooling fan, you may need a PCIe extension cable/adapter.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Reputable Member Moderator

@asheviii90

You could also try removing and re-seating the GPU. 

I don't know why, but this has seemed to have fixed a similar if not identical issue for me and another person on this forum, even though the card appeared to be seated correctly. 

TH3P4 Thunderbolt GPU Dock Review
TH3P4G2 Thunderbolt GPU Dock Review
Wikingoo Thunderbolt GPU Dock Review
DIY Portable Custom Water Cooled Thunderbolt 3 eGPU
Thunderbolt 4 Docks, eGPU Daisy Chaining and the One-Cable Dream
Windows 10 Solutions for eGPU BSOD, Crashing, System Freezing and Stuttering
Adding Advanced Power Management Options to Windows Laptops for Performance, Thermal Throttling & Power Management

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Wikingoo eGPU) + Win10 21H1 // Custom Loop Water Cooled eGPU [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
OCT0PUSCRIME
(@oct0puscrime)

@asheviii90

Did you ever get this working with your Spectre? I have the same Spectre as you and am trying with a Sonnet 550 and an RX 580. My GPU shows in device manager and GPU-Z, and the Sonnet shows in the the TB control center, but Windows will not utilize the eGPU for internal or external monitors.

I've tried disabling and uninstalling dGPU and have used DDU in safe mode to uninstall AMD + Intel drivers many times while trying different versions of the AMD driver.

When I install the AMD driver I the screen flickers and the fans on the GPU spin down to less than 100% which is good, but AMD throws an error "AMD software detected that the display driver has failed to load on your system."

I also tried a new TB cable. Unfortunately, I do not have ready access to a desktop to test the GPU in for awhile, but I suppose that is a step to take when I get access to one.

ReplyQuote
 of  4