2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro)...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [lwf]  

of  4
  RSS

James Knight
(@james_knight)
Eminent Member

@oliverb

If you or anyone has one I would be more than happy to test it for the greater good.... LoL

This post was modified 4 months ago

Setup: Dell Latitude 7300 | i7-8665U | 32GB DDR4 | M2.sata 512GB |
iGPU: UHD 620 | eGPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | Asus XG Station Pro | Thunderbolt 3 (15D9) : NVM 44.00

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

@james_knight, look into spoofing the power usage reporting. There should be some info in the throttlestop thread in the notebookreview forum. You should still be able to manage with thermal throttling and turbo ratio limits/profiles.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

Well, I was not thrilled about my hack job cooling solution so I picked up a basic aluminum stand that I can prop the fan underneath. The back of the laptop is a bit higher than I'd prefer but the front is quite a bit lower than before. Here is a photo:

IMG 0886

Again the fan is connected to simple USB switch, and I am using four silicone pads on the intake side, and the two leftover silicone screws to prop up the bottom part of the fan to give it as much air intake as possible.

It's quieter than before and I think even more effective. The stand I got is just perfect for a 140mm fan. I think it might only be available in Canada through Canada Computers.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
James Knight
(@james_knight)
Eminent Member

@lwf

Hope your doing well?

Had a tinker moment so was going to post in eGPU.io but not sure where best to place it. However, after seeing your last post for cooling I thought why not share my madness here. Plus you and others in this thread have been along part of my journey.

I noticed that when stress testing (CineBench R23) my CPU it would hit 100°C from turbo then settle at 80°C - 82°C per core locking all my cores to 2.73Ghz. I thought it was the punch in the temp that prevented me from getting better clocks speeds.

After seeing a YT Video (Not sure if I can mention the channel here). It gave me the inspiration to test something a little out of the box. After all I am in LockDown in the UK and my laptop hasn't moved from its location unless I am dusting or tinkering. So I did this...

20201226 223514 4MP
20201226 223506 4MP

To other forum members, I know this is not a portable solution. This is purely for test purposes.

Anyway to my disappointment although the solution brought my core temps during Cinebench R23 stress down to the 49°C - 52°C per core. My clock speed only increased by 0.01Mhz :'(

Regardless of if I flex with Intel XTU my Package Watt will not exceed 24W's unless it is bursting for all of 3 seconds (Max Temp 81°C).

Intel XTU   HeatSink

So my end score increased marginally to 3493 from 3374.

Cinebench R23   HeatSink Run Two

I guess I need to look into what can be done to mask / spoof my Watt values to increase my clock speeds. Another try with ThrottleStop.. Otherwise I think now that I will admit defeat and look to change my laptop. :'(

Setup: Dell Latitude 7300 | i7-8665U | 32GB DDR4 | M2.sata 512GB |
iGPU: UHD 620 | eGPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | Asus XG Station Pro | Thunderbolt 3 (15D9) : NVM 44.00

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

@james_knight, nice to hear from you. That is pretty mean cooling solution if only the laptop would allow the CPU to use more power!

Tricking the Dell into thinking its using less power will definitely help you get around that. You will have to rely on temperature throttling which shouldn't be much of an issue. I also set my turbo boost limits per profile which also prevents too much heat from happening.

But one thing to consider is how does it actually perform for your use cases? My 3070 will go to 240w in a benchmark but doesn't get above 150 when I'm actually playing Destiny 2. My CPU will sustain 29w on a benchmark but hovers around 18-20 when I'm playing games, even in VR.

ReplyQuote
William Duarte
(@william_duarte)

@lwf, Hey, I'm trying to find the best build for my system and yours looks amazing. Do you think it will work with an Alienware 17r4 Thunderbolt 3, i7 7700hq and 16 RAM? 

I'm very confused and I couldnt find my system into the builds list.

thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Trusted Member

@william_duarte, it should work fine. The alienware will probably have better thermals but you will lose some performance with the older CPU and in particularly the lack of TB on chip.

ReplyQuote
 of  4