2011 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T510 (NVS3100M) [1st,2C,M] + GTX 960 @ 2Gbps-EC1 (EXP G...

Notifications
Clear all

2011 15" Lenovo ThinkPad T510 (NVS3100M) [1st,2C,M] + GTX 960 @ 2Gbps-EC1 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10  

RSS

Gerisoft
(@gerisoft)

System Specification

• Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T510
  • Laptop screen: 15"6, 1600*900
  • CPU: i5-540M
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3-1066MHZ
  • SSD: Kingston 480GB (SATA-III)
  • HDD: Hitachi 320GB (SATA-II)
  • dGPU: NVS 3100M
  • eGPU: ASUS TURBO-GTX960-OC-4GD5
  • eGPD adapter: EXP GDC with Express Card
  • eGPU power adapter: Dell 220P-01
  • External Monitor: HP ZR24w 1920*1200

System Setup

When finally all the parts arrived, i connected all of them and started the system:

• In the BIOS I've tried to disable the mentioned things (dGPU & LAN boot), but the best i could is to switch off the wake on LAN
  • Windows started w/o any error
  • I've installed the latest driver for the GTX960, which if i recall ended being unsuccessful so i already prepared myself to the endless troubleshooting i thought was waiting for me
  • After the restart the system worked, but what do i mean
    • The GTX960 was found and working and
    • the dGPU was also 'working', as i could use the laptop's display at native resolution (native resolution cannot be used with standard VGA drivers), but i think there was a conflict though (the dGPU had some exclamation mark next to it in device manager)
  • The connection to the eGPU is via the Express card is PCIe 1.1 by default
    • Not sure i could force the system to use PCIe 2.0
    • The dGPU has a PCIe 2.0 connection to the system

1st Benchmark results

I've used the Unigine Heaven, in the above setup i've got a score around 770.

Improvements

I wanted to have a setup w/o hw conflicts. Since the NVS 3100M and the GTX960 required different drivers I could not reach to have the same driver for both, and the different drivers conflicted under Win10. So i installed another Win10 Pro with the following setup:

• Win10 pro: dGPU installed, eGPU not present (no drivers at all)
  • eGPU setup: dGPU diasabled (auto update too for this HW id), uninstalled (with DDU), eGPU drivers installed
    • In this setup i think the system uses the CPU's iGPU and i cannot use the LCD's native resolution

2nd Benchmark results

• Unigine Heaven score: 1170
    • +50% compared to the first setup, but this might be to the settings i've played around with for the first time when i got 770
    • I could not find a reference score to relate to...
  • Superposition: 3168 (82% of the average result)
  • UserBenchmark 28.5% (85% of the average result)
    • 3D DX9 37,4 FPS (85% of the average result)
    • 3D DX10 32 FPS (83% of the average result)
  • Passmark G3D Mark: 1190 (20% of the average result)
    • not sure why this is so low
  • World of Warcraft can be played on graphical settings 7 with 40-50 FPS (8-9-10 also works but FPS gets lower and lower, but still 15+ in crowded areas and not constantly that slow)

Improvement opportunities

• Have an eGPU case to have 1 box instead of all the parts and cables lying around
  • Have a setup w/o hw conflicts where i can use the eGPU and the laptop's LCD at native resolution
  • Have a PCIe 2.0 connection to the eGPU via the Express Card. This might not be possible due to the hw itself, but if it can be altered via sw, then at least it can be tried.
2011 15" Lenovo ThinkPad T510 (NVS3100M) [1st,2C,M] + GTX 960 @ 2Gbps-EC1 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10 [build link]  

mr.ribeiro and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote