2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004  

of  8
  RSS

Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@arzen, I tried closing everything - and running only Heaven - changed to extreme profile - clicked benchmark.  The highest I could get with disabling/enabling turbo etc was 1538 I think it was... I did dozens of tests today.  I think running it full screen was the one that gave me above 1300 finally.  

I rebooted to windows bootcamp and ran heaven there and my fps went from 60s up to 110s... so windows is much better for gaming obviously.  It is obvious that games are WAY better in MacOS with the eGPU - but the benchmarks just don't show it imho.  

In windows my best score was 2729... not near 4K like the other poster showed.  I wish I knew if it was the Mantiz or my card that is bottlenecking?  

I have a XFX THICC OC 5700 XT, so it's supposed to be a little better than a stock card... but my benchmarks don't show it.  I've been tempted to unplug all my stuff from the Mantiz to see if having all my extra hard drives and usb devices is causing some delay - but either way I'm stuck with it how it is and I'm still enjoying it.  I hope it gets even better when I get a 67/6800 card down the road. 

2019 16" MBP - i9 - 32GB - 5500M 8GB - 1TB SSD w/eGPU 5700XT OC

Arzen liked
ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)
Trusted Member

@erik_tank, kind of seems like you got a lemon. 😅

Thanks for letting me know! I ordered a Red Devil 5700 XT. I'll post results when my Mantiz and the card get here. 👍

MacBook Pro 16" - 2.3 i9, 16GB, 1TB, 5500m (I added thermal pads to the VRMs); Mantiz Saturn Pro w/ PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT (previously, a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box) + LG OLED C9

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@arzen, Hey bud - any new benchmarks to post?  I found a bios switch on my THICC card and it did absolutely zip for my performance... so I'm confused.  Both benchmarks in MacOS AND Bootcamp were the same.  Very weird.  Curious on your performance with the red devil and the Mantiz.

ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)
Trusted Member

@erik_tank, I’m eagerly awaiting my Mantiz still. It’s in Japan but not here yet...

I’ll post some stuff as soon as I get it up though. 

MacBook Pro 16" - 2.3 i9, 16GB, 1TB, 5500m (I added thermal pads to the VRMs); Mantiz Saturn Pro w/ PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT (previously, a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box) + LG OLED C9

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@raebyagthefirst, For some reason yesterday when I booted into bootcamp I got the dreaded black screen - no cursor.  Even using anydesk it was a black screen.  Very weird.

I tried to follow your steps you listed on page 4 near the bottom and no matter what I do I continue to get this stupid black screen.  I used a backup I made of winclone when things were working, and even THAT gets the black screen now.  I can still boot into windows via Parallels bootcamp partition, but if I boot with or without the modified efi, it still brings me to a black screen where I can't do anything.  

I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden - I checked in parallels and there were no windows updates or driver updates of any sort.  So is this something I can expect to "just happen" whenever it wants?  Any ideas or reasons why this black screen crap just started happening?  I had just erased bootcamp and started from scratch with winver 2004... I really don't want to go through installing everything again - and no idea if reinstalling will even help at this point since a working backup with winclone doesnt' even work.  

But I'm using the eGPU in MacOS and it's working fine here... 

ReplyQuote
raebyagthefirst
(@raebyagthefirst)
Eminent Member

@erik_tank, try to DDU and install drivers from bootcampdrivers.com

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

I installed Big Sur beta and I think that had caused this error.  I have completely wiped windows from scratch again and cannot get it to work with a fresh install of windows (your instructions worked well for me last time).  I think something with big Sur beta 8 has messed up boot camps resources for me.

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

Has anyone gotten Big Sur beta installed and have a MBP with dGPU that doesn't get code 12?  I've found no-one so far and I've been lookign through the forums while I reinstalled beta 6... (installed it ontop of beta 8)

Reformatted bootcamp AGAIN and started over - still get code 12 no matter what I do.  I even tried using the DDU version that comes with the August red drivers instead of the newest version which is the only different thing I've done since last week when I set this up and it worked fine.  

This was my chance to game and now the whole weekend is gone... back to the grind for another week I guess.  I find this part half of the fun - (getting things to work) but I hate it when no results are fruitful.  

ReplyQuote
iDominik
(@idominik)

@erik_tank, Sure, me too. After I upgraded to Big Sur Beta 8 on another partition, I don't get the dGPU running. Also after a completely new installation of Windows 10. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@idominik, does your egpu work with beta 6? I still can’t get mine to work after reinstalling beta 6 on top of beta 8...

ReplyQuote
 of  8