2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004  

of  8
  RSS

iDominik
(@idominik)

Hi @erik_tank, before I removed my Big Sur installation I have the following setup on my MacBook Pro:

One APFS Container with macOS 10.15.7; One APFS Container with macOS 11.0b5 and the BootCamp Partition with Windows 10v2004

After I upgraded the APFS Container to macOS11.0b8 I have the reported error.

Today I removed the APFS Big Sur Container and reinstalled the BootCamp Partition. Run DDU, install Bootcampdrivers. The RX5700XT isn't recognized from Windows 10.

After that I run the macOS 10.15.7 again over my running system: No changes. The graphic card is listed as Basic System Device and shows error 28 in the device manager.

It should be a change on the EFI Partition.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@idominik, So are you saying that rolling back to Catalina doesn't allow the AMD eGPU to play nice in bootcamp either?  I only had 10.15.6 when I had everything working... could it be a change in .7 that matches the problem in Big Sur that's causing the problem?  Or is something else going on with the installation? 

I'm thinking about completely erasing my mac, and starting from scratch with Catalina to see if I can get my card to work again... I'm just so in love with my setup I don't want to lose anything, ya know?

2019 16" MBP - i9 - 32GB - 5500M 8GB - 1TB SSD w/eGPU 5700XT OC

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

Well I completely erased my SSD.  It would not allow me to partition it smaller than where bootcamp was already installed (1TB SSD partitioned with 800ish for main partition MacOS and 2nd partition (Bootcamp) with 160ish GB).  I erased everything and started from scratch with a Catalina 15.7 restore.  First thing I did was install bootcamp.  

Followed the instructions to a T here, just as I have in the past, but this time, still no success.  Also, the startup chime (enabled by Big Sur beta) still persists even after resetting SMC and clearing NV Ram.  I used terminal to disable the chime, but I have the feeling that something with Big Sur has just made the code 12 irreparable.  I would love to hear if someone has had success from this.  I'm so frustrated.  I have an 800 dollar EGPU that I can't even use right now for bootcamp, which is why I purchased it in the first place.  

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this stuff working with or without Big Sur?  I even tried the old fashion route of disabling different PCI connections, but that always results in a black screen after rebooting.  

ReplyQuote
raebyagthefirst
(@raebyagthefirst)
Eminent Member

Calling in @itsage for any ideas 🙁

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

Erik Tank liked
ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@raebyagthefirst, Do you have 10.15.7 installed yet?  Does your bootcamp still work, or did something in the .7 update break the AMD eGPU stuff?  Perhaps I'm fighting a losing battle if something else has changed with the .7 update to Catalina?

ReplyQuote
raebyagthefirst
(@raebyagthefirst)
Eminent Member

@erik_tank, I am still on Catalina and haven’t even touched the update. 

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I would say to stay on Win10 1903 V1 (18362.30 - .295). Every macOS system update comes with firmware update and it's unpredictable whether it changes eGPU behavior in Boot Camp. Also the April Radeon drivers are the most stable in my observation.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@itsage, Thank you for your input on this.  I will try the 1903 method and using the PCI.sys file method - but do you have an accurate guide for me to follow for this method?  I guess I'm late to the game and only knew how to get the 2004 version working.  I wanted the 2004 version for my mixed reality headset, but I'll fall back to 1903 if that will get me going for now.

ReplyQuote
iDominik
(@idominik)

Posted by: @idominik

Hi @erik_tank, before I removed my Big Sur installation I have the following setup on my MacBook Pro:

One APFS Container with macOS 10.15.7; One APFS Container with macOS 11.0b5 and the BootCamp Partition with Windows 10v2004

After I upgraded the APFS Container to macOS11.0b8 I have the reported error.

Today I removed the APFS Big Sur Container and reinstalled the BootCamp Partition. Run DDU, install Bootcampdrivers. The RX5700XT isn't recognized from Windows 10.

After that I run the macOS 10.15.7 again over my running system: No changes. The graphic card is listed as Basic System Device and shows error 28 in the device manager.

It should be a change on the EFI Partition.

Before I deleted the Big Sur APFS Container and reinstalled 10.15.7, I already had 10.15.7 installed and all works fine.

It thinks its a change from Big Sure Beta 8 on the EFI Partition. Is there a fix in Big Sur Beta 9 released a few minutes ago?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@erik_tank, I don't use the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro (wife's computer). When I last tested it with RX 5700 XT + ASUS XG Station 2 [build link] the procedure was to install Win10 1903 V1 ISO through Boot Camp, hot-plug the eGPU, then install modified Radeon drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  8