2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004  

of  8
  RSS

Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@itsage, So there is no modified EFI boot?  No PCI file swap?

2019 16" MBP - i9 - 32GB - 5500M 8GB - 1TB SSD w/eGPU 5700XT OC

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

PCI file swap is an alternative to installing build 1903, so you can run an otherwise fully patched up to date windows 10.

One thing to check, is back in 2018 the beta versions of Mojave had firmware updates which disabled the "Large Memory" entry in the device manager in windows.  Without this (basically moving pci device base registers into a 36-bit memory space instead of a 32 bit one), it is exceedingly difficult to get enough resource space to initialize an egpu.  At the time I couldn't even get an nvidia card to work in bootcamp.  By the final release the finalized firmware did not have this problem.  You might want to go to the device manager and sort resources by type, and see if a Large Memory entry exists.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@ningauble77, I'm 90% sure it was there in my 2004 build.  I've already erased it (bootcamp) and am installing the 1903 v1 ISO now to test things out that way... I wish I knew if someone had the same model Mac as me, running Big Sur, if they were able to get their AMD eGPU to work in bootcamp still... 

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Eminent Member

@ningauble77, Got a screenshot of what the Large memory entry looks like?  

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

large memory

Go to Device manager, go to view, select "Resources by type".

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Arzen
(@arzen)
Trusted Member

@erik_tank, I just updated an older post with my 5700 XT results. See it here:  https://egpu.io/forums/postid/86564/

MacBook Pro 16" - 2.3 i9, 16GB, 1TB, 5500m (I added thermal pads to the VRMs); Mantiz Saturn Pro w/ PowerColor Red Devil 5700 XT (previously, a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box) + LG OLED C9

ReplyQuote
iDominik
(@idominik)

Hello together,

I worked a few hours on my MacBook Pro 16" to finally found the issue and the solution:

The problems I have suddenly that the eGPU doesn't work anymore are produced from The macOS Big Sur 6-9 Beta. There should be a big change in the bridgeOS (T2 Chip).

At the beginning I reformatted my MacBook Pro and installed a completely fresh macOS 10.15.7 installation, which worked for me before the issues. But also the new installation does not recognized the eGPU in a freshly installed Windows 10 V2004 BootCamp installation.

So I googled and found a solution, to downgrade the bridgeOS from a beta to a production version. Please show here how to do that:

https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-downgrade-t2-bridgeos-beta-to-a-production-version/

After I click restore in the Apple Configurator 2, I need to do an internet recovery to get another time a freshly new installed macOS 10.15.7. I show in the system information and see now a bridgeOS Version 17.16.16610.0.0,0; before I had a 18.XXX

Before I reinstalled my Apps I installed BootCamp with the latest 2004 ISO from Microsoft, with September Updates. Install all Updates and Drivers from Apple and Microsoft Update. After that, I run DDU and installed the April Drivers from BootCampDrivers. Now I copied the EFI file to the EFI Destination and restarted my Mac. I plugged in and plugged out my eGPU (Razer Core X with RX5700XT) as described in the first post of this thread, and: TADA! It works again! 

It was hard work to do this, but I can play with my 600$ eGPU again. Will be very interesting how it would work with the final release Version if Big Sur. I haven't tested the Beta 9 of Big Sur, if it fixes the bridgeOS issue.

Thanks and Greets from Germany

Dominik

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ludalex
(@ludalex)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @idominik

Hello together,

I worked a few hours on my MacBook Pro 16" to finally found the issue and the solution:

The problems I have suddenly that the eGPU doesn't work anymore are produced from The macOS Big Sur 6-9 Beta. There should be a big change in the bridgeOS (T2 Chip).

At the beginning I reformatted my MacBook Pro and installed a completely fresh macOS 10.15.7 installation, which worked for me before the issues. But also the new installation does not recognized the eGPU in a freshly installed Windows 10 V2004 BootCamp installation.

So I googled and found a solution, to downgrade the bridgeOS from a beta to a production version. Please show here how to do that:

https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-downgrade-t2-bridgeos-beta-to-a-production-version/

After I click restore in the Apple Configurator 2, I need to do an internet recovery to get another time a freshly new installed macOS 10.15.7. I show in the system information and see now a bridgeOS Version 17.16.16610.0.0,0; before I had a 18.XXX

Before I reinstalled my Apps I installed BootCamp with the latest 2004 ISO from Microsoft, with September Updates. Install all Updates and Drivers from Apple and Microsoft Update. After that, I run DDU and installed the April Drivers from BootCampDrivers. Now I copied the EFI file to the EFI Destination and restarted my Mac. I plugged in and plugged out my eGPU (Razer Core X with RX5700XT) as described in the first post of this thread, and: TADA! It works again! 

It was hard work to do this, but I can play with my 600$ eGPU again. Will be very interesting how it would work with the final release Version if Big Sur. I haven't tested the Beta 9 of Big Sur, if it fixes the bridgeOS issue.

Dominik

I have Bridge OS at version 18.16.10310.5.15 which looks like the one thats gets flashed when you installed Big Sur from 1 to 3. Do you remember if it worked when you were running those earlier builds?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Lachlan Neeley
(@lachlan_neeley)

Posted by: @idominik

Hello together,

Dominik

This worked for me. I have a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, and was running the latest Big Sur beta at the V9. I downgraded my bridgeOS to the lower version and reinstalled Catalina 10.15.7 and following the rest of your instructions. It's working great now.

ReplyQuote
iDominik
(@idominik)

@ludalex, Yes, earlier Builds of Big Sur bridgeOS version up to Beta 6 works for me

ReplyQuote
 of  8