2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.1.0 & Win10 1903  

RSS

karant
(@karant)
Eminent Member

System specs

• 2019 16” MacBook Pro - i9-9880H
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 64GB Ram
  • 4 TB SSD
  • macOS Big Sur 11.1.0
  • LG UltraGear 34GK950F-B 34" WQHD 3440 x 1440 (2K) 5ms (GTG at Faster), 1ms MBR 144 Hz HDMI, DisplayPort Radeon Freesync 2 Curved 21:9 UltraWide QHD 4-Side Borderless VESA HDR 400 144Hz FreeSync2 Monitor

eGPU hardware 

• Razer Core X Chroma
  • PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT 
  • Included Thunderbolt 3 cable
  • (Attached via USB) Logitech G405 wireless mouse
  • (Attached via USB) Logitech G613 wireless keyboard
  • (Attached via USB) Razer Nommo Chroma 2.0 speakers
  • (Attached via DisplayPort) LG 34GK950F-B 34" monitor

Installation steps 

macOS

• No special steps for macOS, just plug-n-play.

Windows

• Disconnect eGPU
  • Use Bootcamp assistant to install Windows Pro 10 1903 V1 (build 18362.30) with the iso downloaded from here:  https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
  • As soon as installation is complete and you land on the Windows 10 desktop for the first time, you'll need to run gpedit.msc to disable automatic Windows updates.
  • On the Local Group Policy Editor windows, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Click on Configure Automatic Updates.  Click on Edit policy setting to open the Configure Automatic Updates dialog.  On the Configure Automatic Updates dialog, select Enabled in the left pane, in the Options section click on the Configure Automatic Updating Combo Box and in the dropdown list select Notify for download and notify for install.  If followed correctly, this will stop automatic installation of Windows Updates and only notify you that there are updates to install, which of course you don't want to do.
  • Now you can install the Bootcamp PKG which should already be open and ready for installation.
  • Reboot
  • Download the April 2020 Red Gaming Edition Drivers (version 20.4.1) from Bootcampdrivers.com and extract.  Note, when I attempted to use newer drivers I had a significant drop in performance (~25%).
  • Go to your device manager.  Click View and select "Devices by Connection".  Disable the the FaceTime Camera (Webcam).  Not quiet sure if this is really necessary, but followed another guide that recommended this.
  • Reboot into safe mode. 
  • Go to where you extracted the Red Gaming Edition Drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com and double-click on the DDU application.  This will extract DDU into its own folder.  Go to that folder and double-click Display Driver Uninstaller.  When the settings dialog appears, enable EVERY OPTION under AMD and Nvidia.  MOST IMPORTANTLY, enable "Prevent downloads of drivers from Windows Update" at the bottom.
  • In "Select Device Type" drop-down, select GPU
  • In "Select Device" drop-down, select Nvidia.
  • Select "Clean and DO NOT Restart".  Once complete, don't exit out of DDU.
  • In "Select Device" drop-down, select AMD.
  • Select "Clean and Restart".
  • Once you are back at the desktop following your restart, NOW CONNECT YOUR EGPU to the front left TB3 port.  I had issues with bluetooth working if I used the TB3 ports on the right side.  Windows will start installing your device with multiple bells and whistles.
  • Go to where you downloaded the Red Gaming Edition Drivers and double-click "setup".  This will start the AMD driver installation and will detect your configuration.  Once your configuration is detected, there will be an "Additional Options" drop-down where you'll need to enable the "Factory Reset" option.  Proceed with the install.  Your system will reboot, but keep the eGPU connected.  Once back at the desktop, the AMD driver installation will automatically continue.  Once the driver installation completes, reboot.
  • OPTIONAL - Go to Device Manager and disable the dGPU (5500M).  Not sure if this is beneficial, but figured I would disable it in hopes of keeping MBP as cool as possible.
  • That's it.  At this point I had my eGPU working fine without any issues.

Benchmarks

All benchmarks taken on external LG monitor.

macOS

Unigine Valley (Score 3410)

Windows

Unigine Valley (Score 4236)

Comments:

Windows installation steps are basically a copy of @andygev35 2020 MBA build.  Thank you, Andy!

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-macbook-air-10th4cng-amd-rx-vega-56-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-4-win10-andygev35/

The main differences from Andy's guide are:

• I did not locate any PCI Express Root Ports in my Device Manager so I did not disable any of those
  • I used April 2020 (version 20.4.1) of Red Gaming drivers from bootcampdrivers.com, per recommendation from @itsage, as December 2020 version of drivers yielded terrible GPU benchmarks (~25% reduction compared to April 2020 version).

I originally attempted the following methods, without success:

Latest Windows 10 20H2 build with Dec 2020 red bootcampdrivers from @alejandro_torres.  Resulted in error 12 for me.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-16-macbook-pro-late-2019-amd-radeon-pro-5500m-intel-core-i9-9th-8c-2-3ghz-amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-windows-10-pro-super-fast-setup-almost/#post-90494

Latest Windows 10 20H2 build with PCI.SYS replacement and AMD official drivers from @josh_bennett.  Resulted in BSD for me.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-macbook-pro-16-5500m-4gb-9th8ch-5700-xt-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-chroma-macos-10-15-6-win10-2004-working-josh_bennett/  

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.6.0 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Larcenciel iM
(@larcenciel_im)

@karant,

First of all, thank you for sharing your build information!

Can you test COD: MW Warzone?
I installed the latest Adrenaline 2020, Dec.
By the way, when it was a 4770k desktop, it was maintained around 80 fps, but on my MacBook Pro 16-inch i9-9880h, 30 fps comes out with the same option!
Of course, I also tried installing the April version, but it made no difference to me.

I think it will help me a lot if you run Warzone and GTA 5 and let me know how much fps you get!

Merry Christmas !!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
karant
(@karant)
Eminent Member

@larcenciel_im, sorry, I don't own or play those games.  What Unigine Valley score are you getting with Extreme HD preset settings?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.6.0 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
LoneStar
(@lonestar)

@krarant As written in another thread, I set up my system according to your instructions. Everything goes as described by you. Thanks for that.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + Geforce RTX 3070 + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 11.3.1, Win10 21H1

ReplyQuote
Irish
(@irish)

@karant, doesn’t work- followed your steps exactly and ran into Error 12. I’d done it before with an EFI boot loader but eventually that crapped out after about 7 months. Figured I’d give this a go but our good friend error 12 got in the way.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
D Daniel
(@d_daniel)

@larcenciel_im, Hey did you fix the problem, I’m getting the exact same problem, cold war runs perfectly at 100 fps but warzone the fps drops to 30. This has me bummed out.

ReplyQuote
karant
(@karant)
Eminent Member

@itsage, I finally have a sapphire nitro+ 6900 xt on the way to replace my 5700 xt.  Do you still recommend going with Windows Pro 10 1903 V1 (build 18362.30) and April 2020 Red Gaming Edition Drivers (version 20.4.1) from Bootcampdrivers.com ?  That's what we ended up on this build.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@karant, Stay with the same Windows 10 version but definitely upgrade to newer Radeon drivers.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

karant liked
ReplyQuote