2020 17" LG Gram 17 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 1660 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + W...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 17" LG Gram 17 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 1660 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10  

RSS

Frederiko Cesar
(@frederiko_cesar)

System specs: 
LG Gram 17 (2560 x 1600 17" 16:10 panel)
• i7-1065G7
• Intel Iris Plus Graphics G7 
• Win 10 Pro 1909

eGPU Hardware

Razer Core X w/ Razer TB3 cable
• ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Super TwinFan 6GB

Hardware pictures:
(just a quick one I took, you can see the Razer Core X between the two monitors)

Installation steps:

1. Install the card on the Razer Core X (by following the basic instructions in the manual), the 1660S only needs one 2x4-pin connector and I just grabbed one 2+6 (P3 supplies more power), because it comes with both P3 and P4;
2. Connect the TB3 cable to the only TB3 port on the LG Gram 17;
3. Turn on the computer, Windows will automatically install the components, wait for it.
4. Downloaded the latest graphic drivers via NVIDIA's website (note: GeForce Experience could not found the latest version, always telling that my drivers were up to date, and Nvidia Control panel was not working correctly).
5. After the installation, checked if all the components were installed (recognized by Windows).
6. Tested it by playing some games, works like a charm.

Obs: For old games that sometimes you have to tell which GPU you're using, otherwise it will use the integrated one. Because I am not yet using an external monitor, so when I go to the Nvidia Control Panel (after updating the drivers) I can't see any option there to put the 1660 as default or any other option. 

Notes:
I am still building my setup, I am waiting for a monitor to arrive (38" curved ultrawide from LG, 3.840 x 1.600), after that, I will plug in from my eGPU directly to the monitor, so the FPS is going to improve and also, the Nvidia Control Panel will recognize it better (I think so, for what I read).
2. The reason I picked the Razer Core X and the 1660 Super was just because was trying to save money, and also, to run all the current games even in medium config, since this setup is not only for me but also for my wife. I have two LG Grams here (same model) so we can shared the eGPU in case we need, but she will use it more than me. I have a Dell G5 with a1660 Ti and it is running almost every game in ultra/high with custom config (I am using this one to play coop with her), so I know that the 1660S will be enough for that, so my plans are for the future, buy another one but with 2080 TI at least, for me.

A big thanks to @odin for showing that it was possible specially with the LG Gram, and @peter_1 for sharing the setup using the Razer Core X and the 1660 Super.

This topic was modified 2 months ago
2020 17" LG Gram 17 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 1660 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

How's it getting along? Mine is still plugging away. It would be interesting to see what kind of Cinebench scores you get on the newer generation CPU.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 20H2 + Fedora 32 Dual Boot
Build Link

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Frederiko Cesar
(@frederiko_cesar)

@odin, Hey Odin! The perfomance is really incredible!! I am happy with this choice. I will post a benchmark here asap
Thank you

2020 17" LG Gram 17 [10th,4C,G] + GTX 1660 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

odin liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@frederiko_cesar, Nice setup! If possible, we'd like to hear your impression on the LG Gram + eGPU compared to the Dell gaming laptop.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

odin liked
ReplyQuote