2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004  

RSS

gizzer3010
(@gizzer3010)

System specs

2018 Mac Mini (2020) 8th Gen i7 3.2 Ghz, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Samsung 27" 4k

eGPU hardware 

( Razer Core x Chroma , no mods, no additional connected devices)

Hardware pictures n/a

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

I've used this forum extensively to get this working, so paying it forward with the below.

macOS Catalina 10.15.6

- No issues at all (maybe I was lucky)

Windows 10 installation for this GPU was a PAIN. I had it working already with my RX 580 (not sure how), but here's what I did to get the 5700 XT working:

*NOTE* The Mac Mini must be connected to the monitor via HDMI.

1. Windows 10 Pro (normal)

2. Run Boot Camp Assistant to set up Windows

3. Install Bootcamp standard drivers

4. Install Windows Insider Beta Slow Ring (2004 19042.421)

5. Run  DDU  Uninstall in Safe Mode

6. Boot the Mac Mini using an HDMI cable to the monitor

7. Plug in the eGPU

8. Install the standard AMD drivers (latest), but set the Factory Reset to "Yes"

8. Once that says to restart, press restart and unplug the eGPU

9. When you get to the login screen, plug in the eGPU

10. Let AMD do it's thing

11. Mine told me the 207 error (resulting in Code 12 in Device Manager)

12. Open Device manager, find your AMD card. Open properties

13. Close, Windows will prompt to restart as hardware has changed

14. Press restart and once Windows says it's restarting, unplug the HDMI from the Mac Mini

15. My trick here was to keep the monitor changing input while the machine rebooted and once it started up, flicking over the Display Port 

16.... and it runs, for me at least. This is two days of trying, giving up, trying again. 

Benchmarks Have not completed, but will update when I can.

Comments

I've tried the previous Windows version trick and it didn't help. I saw someone mention the beta builds and I've tried that and if that's what did it, I don't know. Just glad I can game now.

Mac Mini - Windows 10 - Razer Core X Chroma - Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ SE

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

keyosc, itsage and Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
keyosc
(@keyosc)

Awesome, thanks for this! I had a setup using the previous Windows version that worked fine, but I had to reenable updates to get the Windows Store to work, and that kinda screwed the whole operation up. I nuked my Bootcamp partition and I'll try this again with your setup using the insider version. Smile

Out of curiosity, did you download that insider build separately and use that ISO, or did you just use a generic ISO and upgraded to the insider build later on?

2020 Mac mini (6-core i7, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD) + Razer Core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT (Gigabyte Gaming OC 8G)

ReplyQuote
gizzer3010
(@gizzer3010)

@keyosc

No worries Smile

I had the latest standard Windows 10 build which had worked with my 580 XT, but downloaded the Insider update through Windows and let it update itself. I'd recommend with DDU ticking the box which says to disable Windows from downloading GPU drivers so it only takes from whatever driver you downloaded yourself.

Let me know how you get on Smile

Mac Mini - Windows 10 - Razer Core X Chroma - Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ SE

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
keyosc
(@keyosc)

I can confirm downloading the Insider ISO and downloading all the updates works totally fine for me, yay! Thanks for this build! I should note that I never needed to use DDU or anything like that.

2020 Mac mini (6-core i7, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD) + Razer Core X Chroma + RX 5700 XT (Gigabyte Gaming OC 8G)

ReplyQuote
Squuiid
(@squuiid)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @keyosc

I can confirm downloading the Insider ISO and downloading all the updates works totally fine for me, yay!

Can I ask which exact build you're on? Insider Beta (19042), or Insider Dev (20185)?

Mac mini 2018, i7 3.2GHz 6c, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 10GbE, Sonnet eGFX 350W (Noctua NF-A12x25 ULN) + PowerColor RX 5700 XT 8GB, TEKQ Rapide TB3 1TB SSD, macOS Catalina, Win10 Pro
Mac Pro 2010, X5690 3.46GHz 6c, 64GB RAM, Samsung SM951 512GB, Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB, Intel X540-T1 10GbE, Allegro Pro USB 3.0, AC/BT 4.2, macOS Mojave

ReplyQuote
keyosc
(@keyosc)

Posted by: @squuiid
Posted by: @keyosc

I can confirm downloading the Insider ISO and downloading all the updates works totally fine for me, yay!

Can I ask which exact build you're on? Insider Beta (19042), or Insider Dev (20185)?

I’m on the insider beta. Smile

ReplyQuote
keyosc
(@keyosc)

I just wanted to add a small update here: This setup runs Microsoft Flight Simulator surprisingly well. Smile

gizzer3010 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
aaronr
(@aaronr)

This worked a treat, thank you!

A couple notes:

• I previously had a Radeon RX 580 running fine under the non-insider build of 2004 with no issues at all.
  • Because I had this working, when it came time to upgrade to the RX 5700 XT, rather than wipe and reinstall I started from step 5.
  • Everything seemed to work okay until I hit a wall of Code 12 which I couldn’t get past.
  • I then tried step 4 of this guide (upgrade to Insider build of 2004, Beta, Slow Ring). This was the golden key to make all of this come together, as soon as I upgraded the Code 12 issue went away and it’s been rock solid since then.
This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac Mini 2018 • Razer Core X • Radeon RX 5700 XT
macOS Catalina 10.5.6 • Windows 10 (2004)

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
gizzer3010
(@gizzer3010)

@keyosc, it certainly does 😀 That's what I may have been spending a lot of my time doing recently

@aaronr I had the same setup as you and it worked on the non-insider build. Unfortunately I had to go around the houses and then put this guide in place. Glad it worked for you! 

One thing I will add from my own, recent experience as I updated with the latest beta is that I need to make sure there's nothing else plugged in to the other USB-C ports (or at least not an SSD enclosure), as this stops my machine at least from booting with the eGPU.

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote