System specs :
2x 4K UHD Displays
eGPU hardware :
Installation steps :
Installation was pretty straightforward compared to an AMD GPU:
1. Install Bootcamp and all included drivers
2. Hot-Plug eGPU and install newest drivers
To get both the eGPU and dGPU up and running there is an optional third step:
(3.) Hot-Plug the eGPU after Windows has booted
Though this results in some issues with Bluetooth.
Furthermore Cold-Plug only seems to work with this extra step:
(3.) Set BootCamp as Startup-Disk in macOS
I currently tested only 2 Games:
|Internal Display UHD||External Display UHD|
|Horizon: Zero Dawn||~30 - 35 FPS on highest Settings, massive Framedrops||~45 - 60 FPS on highest Settings|
|The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt||~45 - 50 FPS on highest Settings, massive Framedrops||~60 - 75 FPS on highest Settings|
Both games seem to be heavily starved by bandwidth. Especially HZD where it made almost no difference in performance when I switched from 4K to 1440p.
Here I want to share same lessons I learned while trying this build:
- Though the eGPU and dGPU can run at the same time, sometimes when trying to watch a YouTube video on the internal display either causes it to reload and use the dGPU or simply crash the whole System
- I had to take off the shroud of the Razer Core which resulted in a temperature drop of ~12 degrees and a reduction in fan noise. The heat this card generates is insane, even when undervolted.
- Gaming on the internal display seems to be hopeless. Though the frame rate at lower resolutions (1440p) is higher, you get annoying frame drops every few seconds.
- Trying to Cold-Plug without setting BootCamp as the Startup-Disk just results in a Blackscreen when booting.
- Sometimes Bluetooth just doesn't work. Probably an issue with resource allocation.
If you have any questions or Benchmark requests, let me know!
@sudelnuppe, you should be able to up the FPS in The Withcer 3 drastically by reducing "Foliage Visibility Distance" in the Graphics Options (has huge impact on the bandwidth).
did your 3090 came with a 3x8 pins?
Razer 15 advanced model (2019) 32gb/1tbssd 2070 maxq w/ Razer core x chroma (3080 evga ftw3 ultra)