2020 8" GPD Win Max [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chro...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 8" GPD Win Max [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10  

RSS

rebelnyell
(@rebelnyell)

System specs

Model: 2020 GPD Win Max 8"

CPU: 10th Gen i5-1035G7 @1.20GHz, 4C/8T

• TDP (PL1, PL2): 25W, 30W
  • UV (CPU, Cache, GPU, Sys Agent): -85mV, -85mV, -130mV, -85mV
  • Turbo Limit (C1, C2, C3, C4): 3.70GHz, 3.60GHz, 3.30GHz, 3.30GHz

iGPU: Iris Plus Graphics

Internal Display: …?

• Native Resolution: 1280 x 800

• Build: 19041

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

MEM: 16GB LPDDR4-3200

• Clock: 3733MHz

eGPU hardware

Enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma

• Cable: Stock

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 Super Founders Edition

• Driver: 27.21.14.5638
  • Power Limit: 115%
  • Core Clock: +140MHz
  • Memory Clock: +140MHz

External Display: Dell S3220DGF

• Native Resolution: 2560 x 1440
  • Max Refresh Rate: 165Hz

Hardware pictures

eGPU Win Max External Display

Installation steps

Performed a clean install of Windows following the SSD change. Mostly all the drivers installed by default through Windows & Intel updates. Power management mode was set to Prefer maximum performance within the NVIDIA Control Panel to prevent system freezes that required force shutdowns of the Win Max. GeForce Experience was reinstalled because it initially failed to recognize & optimize settings of installed games. 

Benchmarks

External Display:

eGPU External Performance
eGPU External 1440p
eGPU External 1080p

Internal Display:

eGPU Internal Performance
eGPU Internal 800p

Comments

This is a major upgrade from a ~2010 Asus RoG laptop I was previously using where I was forced to play almost all PC games at the lowest settings with severely limited FPS. I am using the Razer Core X in a docking setup which only requires me to connect the TB3 cable to the Win Max when I’m at my desk. All my peripheral devices are being interfaced through the eGPU; mouse, keyboard, headset, & Ethernet. I initially played some games with a native 1920 x 1080 monitor and didn’t experience any noticeable issues in either DotA 2 or CS:GO with highest possible settings. I top fragged in my first game back in CS:GO! I haven’t yet tested with modern day, high demand AAA titles.

So far I’ve only played offline using the S3220DGF monitor. I’ve read about people experiencing issues using G-Sync with this monitor if the refresh rate isn’t set properly. I currently haven’t encountered any issues. I went with a SATA SSD for power & thermal efficiency when on the go compared to an NVMe SSD.

For those that enjoy gaming on the go that would also like a desktop gaming setup, I’d recommend giving thought to purchasing the Win Max to use with an eGPU. From a performance standpoint this setup won’t be the best bang for your buck. A premium is being paid for the convenient form factor. The keyboard layout is a bit awkward for gaming and efficient typing, but gets the job done for basic tasks such as web browsing. When playing on the go I’ve mainly stuck to games that play well with the built in gamepad such as THPS 1+2, SoR 4, Sonic Mania, Cuphead, and emulation. Depending on what games you would like to play and by tweaking various TDP and UV settings you can get 2+ hours of gaming off the battery (ex THPS 1+2 on medium 2+ hours, N64 emulation significantly >2hrs). I don’t think it’s a leap to say that what the Nintendo Switch has done for console gaming with respect to portability, the GPD Win Max has taken the step for PC gaming.

This topic was modified 1 month ago
2020 8" GPD Win Max [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@rebelnyell, Thank you for sharing this build. The Win Max looks like a really fun device and a perfect host for eGPU!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Eminent Member

Odd that you seem to be getting better performance on the internal display. I noticed yesterday that there didn't seem to be much difference for me between external/internal. Does the internal display need to be turned off to make the difference? I have my displays extended.

edit: duh, the internal display is a lower resolution!

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rebelnyell
(@rebelnyell)

@lwf, Yep the resolution is the main difference.

Contrary to the hardware picture, during benchmark testing I did have only one of the displays on. Normally when I am docked and gaming I’ve been leaving both displays on extended. Since the eGPU enclosure is significantly larger than the device, I don’t really plan on using solely the internal display with the eGPU. One exception I may try is using a max length active TB3 cable allowing me to play within the room (say while laying on a couch, bed, floor, etc.) without having to sit at a desk. I’ll update this post with benchmarks relating to that once tested. 

Also worth mentioning is that the external monitor was set to a 164Hz refresh rate with both benchmarked resolutions. I’ll do some benchmarking with the external 60Hz refresh rate at a later time. 

This post was modified 1 month ago
2020 8" GPD Win Max [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
slothman
(@slothman)

Very nice setup, and I'm happy to see that the Win Max is capable of 32Gbps! It's kinda funny, but reading about how you leave your screen set as extended makes me worry about screen burn in. I keep my lid closed to prevent the screen from being on as much as possible, and just leave the monitor set as the main screen. I mostly buy used tech, and the amount of screen burn-in I see on mobile devices makes me shudder to think about doing the same with my stuff

Good to have another member rocking the tiny setup!

2020 8" GPD Win Max [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Titan) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote