2020 GPD Win Max 8"
10th gen i5-1035G7 @ 1.20GHz, 4 cores
Iris Plus 940
Windows 10 Home Edition 19041.488
Display resolution: Built in - 1280x800, external monitor - 3840x2160
16GB LPDDR4-3200, 512 SSD m2 2280
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Tri FROZR 8GB
Stock cable, no modifications
Ran Windows Update, which auto installed Thunderbolt Control Center
Downloaded GeForce Experience which auto detected and did the rest (had to delete and reinstall+change my power saving settings on the PCI side since it kept disconnecting from the eGPU - seems to be fixed, but time will tell)
Stock cable for all tests
Internal Monitor Tests:
External Monitor Tests:
Feels real good in game, just wish there was a fast swap setting going from integrated graphics settings to eGPU settings. Maybe there is, and I'm just missing it somehow. The controller feels pretty good, the keyboard not nearly so much. Lots of ports, lots of power. Really respecting GPD's build on this one. 2 usb A ports+ usb-c + TB3 + HDMI out + ethernet cable +3.5mm jack + microSD.
SSD is upgradeable as I imagine the wifi6/bluetooth5 card is. Playing Monster Hunter World on it is smooth and responsive on near max settings. I need to go back and update my other build comments to remark that on max settings, there was lag. I didn't realize it, but inputs were delayed which lead to a lot of me second guessing myself.
@slothman, thank you for your build. Could you include some pics? Interested in seeing the contrast of this tiny 8" device hooked up to a much larger eGPU.
Do note too you CUDA-Z H2D numbers reflect 16Gbps-TB3 performance. See possible reasons why in this link:
It states on GPD's website the PCIe port is Gen 3.0 x4...am I misinterpreting that to mean that the TB3 port would be 4 lanes, and therefore capable of 32Gbps? I'm trying to get the drivers downloaded from GPD's website, but it seems I'm far from the only one as I'm getting errors from google drive. I don't know, there's still no drivers from akitio about the titan, so I'm just left wondering where the hangup is.
@slothman, Thunderbolt 3 uses PCIe 3.0 x4 for the controller in the host (your computer) and the device (the eGPU). PCIe traffic between them has a max around 22 Gbps (2750 MB/s). Your H2D and D2H bandwidth should be around there (like 2500 MB/s or more).
The GPD Win Max has Ice Lake CPUs with integrated Thunderbolt 3 so it should be able to do more than the 1806 MB/s that you are seeing. Maybe you are using a USB-C cable instead of a Thunderbolt cable? Maybe you have a bad Thunderbolt cable? Try a different cable.
After checking around here, the only other builds with the Titan have untested transfer speeds. This is interesting, but I'm doubting the problem lies in the eGPU itself (unless it needs a firmware update), and I have no BIOS options pertaining to the TB port so there's a chance these speeds will be fixed in a firmware update from GPD. Until then, I think I would like to confirm the cable, since I guess it's easy to advertise speeds of 40gbps with a cable, but for that to be only a very odd technicality. If someone has a silver bullet thunderbolt cable the community here swears by, I'd be willing to buy it to test. The firmware that I finally managed to get my hands on for the Win Max has no real naming sense to it. it's random folders with a batch file that auto installs them so no clue what I'm installing.
@nando4 Sorry, no pictures because my setup is super cramped and very unaesthetic. just picture a school desk, with all the things that make a computer work crammed onto it, and you'll get the idea.
Update: Been talking back and forth to AKiTiO's support line, and I am impressed with how quick their responses have been, and how professional and clearly competent they are. Their latest email confirms their transfer speeds using a gtx 1060, and they've asked me to confirm results on a tower PC to rule out the issue being my currently tested PCs. Seeing rebelnyell's build tho confirms the Max can perform as it should, and 2 tested devices both running lower than spec'd limits, seems to indicate there is something going on with the setup. I'll keep this up to date as we go further on into troubleshooting this. Really though, if the others using the Titan could please post their transfer speeds, it'd make this whole thing much easier.