2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10  

RSS

Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

System specs

Late 2019 HP Spectre x360 13.3".  i7-1065G7 with integrated Iris Plus GPU.  16GB RAM.  Win10.

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X

EVGA XC Ultra 2080 Ti

Installation steps

Plug and Play.  I had already updated the BIOS on the laptop and run Windows Update.

Benchmarks

All benchmarks are using the Razer TB cable to the eGPU and an HDMI Premium 6 foot cable from the 2080 Ti to an LG OLED 65" B7 4k TV.  The TV supports 1080p @ 120hz and 4k @ 60hz.

I have fewer than 5 posts, so I'm unfortunately posting these to imgur.

AIDA64

LuxMark Ball

LuxMark Mic

LuxMark Hotel

Heaven 1080p Ultra

Heaven 4k Ultra

Valley 1080p Ultra

Valley 4k Ultra

Superposition 1080p Extreme

Superposition 4k Optimized

Comments

I really, really like the laptop.  The design and style is great, the touchscreen (with pen support) is great for taking notes.  The 4K OLED screen is great.  The USB-A slot is a nice touch so I can plug things in without dongles.  Really, really happy with the laptop.

The Razer Core X and EVGA XC Ultra combo is also really awesome.  There aren't any crazy rainbow lights pouring out of it.  Just a subtle blue glow from the video card.  It's also VERY quiet, even under load.  I can hear my refrigerator more than I can hear the GPU working.

2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
P VE
 P VE
(@p_ve)

Hi man,

I too am thinking about buying spectre x360 in combination with eGPU (but not yet sure which one as I am really new to this).

Any chance you could post some 4K ingame benchmarks?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

Sure - here's ROTTR.  Let me know if there are others you want in particular.

The laptop is really, really good, but not perfect.  It thermal throttles pretty quickly when it turbos.  The speakers are Bang & Olufsen, but they sound just like any other tiny speaker, imo.  The screen is gorgeous.  I wish the gold trim was a little more brassy because it picks up some pink hues sometimes, which I don't love.  The Optane drive is a pain because it runs a service every few hours that sucks up CPU cycles.  I might replace it with a better SSD.  The installed HP bloatware is unfortunate.  I had to turn off bitlocker to get it to boot while the eGPU was connected.

All said, I'd recommend it.

2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Screw Loose
(@screw_loose)

Any chance you have a more cost friendly gpu lying around? maybe a 1660  or rtx 2060 that you can test with?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
P VE
 P VE
(@p_ve)

Thanks so much for the info. Really appreciate it

Im probably an idiot for saying but I dont know which game rottr stands for Smile

any chance of showing FPS for AC odyssey or Red Dead Redemption 2? Ideally both on 4K and QHD?

that would be awesome for comparison to my current QHD setup and show me what to expect on 4K which I am planning to move to with the egpu set up

thanks!

ReplyQuote
Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

@screw_loose

I don't have any other cards laying around, sorry.  If you happen to live in San Diego, you can drop the card off and I'll test it and give it back if you really want to know.

ReplyQuote
Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

@p_ve

ROTTR = Rise of the Tomb Raider and just happens to be the game I've been playing the last week Smile

I'll run an RDR2 test for ya tonight.

ReplyQuote
Ryan Steckler
(@ryan_steckler)

@p_ve

Here's RDR2.  The settings in this game are super weird.  You can't restore to defaults once you change the advanced settings.  So I deleted the settings file, then made the following changes:

1440p and set the quality bar at the midpoint:

1440p and set the quality bar at the top:

4k and moved the quality bar all the way to the midpoint:

4k and moved the quality bar all the way to the top:

Everyone is different, but for this game and with a controller, I found 40fps to be very playable.  

ReplyQuote
P VE
 P VE
(@p_ve)

Thank you!

ReplyQuote