2020 13" MacBook Air [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Air [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [andygev35]  

of  4
  RSS

andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

I've been experimenting for a week solid trying to get this new Macbook Air working with a eGPU in Windows 10.  After nearly giving up and ordering an Nvidia GPU for use with the Macbook Air, I decided to give it one last go and EUREKA!!  I finally stumbled across a working solution, then narrowed everything down and came up with a reliable way of replicating my success.

System specs:

2020  MacBook Air , Core i5-1030NG7, Iris Plus iGPU, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Installation Steps:

• MacOS
  1. Plug and Play.
  2. Money.

• Windows 10
  1. Disconnect eGPU
  2. Use Bootcamp assistant to install Windows 10 1903 V1 with the iso downloaded from here:  https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
  3. I recommend using Windows 10 Pro if you can.  It has the Group Policy Editor built in (gpedit.msc) with which you can disable automatic Windows updates.
  4. As soon as installation is complete and you land on the Windows 10 desktop for the first time, you'll need to run gpedit.msc to disable automatic Windows updates.
  5. On the Local Group Policy Editor windows, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Click on Configure Automatic Updates.  Click on Edit policy setting to open the Configure Automatic Updates dialog.  On the Configure Automatic Updates dialog, select Enabled in the left pane, in the Options section click on the Configure Automatic Updating Combo Box and in the dropdown list select Notify for download and notify for install.  If followed correctly, this will stop automatic installation of Windows Updates and only notify you that there are updates to install, which of course you don't want to do.
    Run gpedit.msc
    Configure Windows Updates Group Policy Editor
    Configure Windows 10 Automatic Updates

6. Now you can install the Bootcamp PKG which should already be open and ready for installation.
  7. Reboot
  8. Download the Red Gaming Edition Drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com and extract.
  9. Go to your device manager.  Click View and select "Devices by Connection".  Disable the TWO HIGHLIGHTED COMPONENTS.  The First is the FaceTime Camera (Webcam), the second is one of the PCI Express Root Ports.  Be sure to disable the second one in the list because the eGPU will be attached to the first one (once we install it).
    DevMgr

10. Reboot into safe mode. 
  11. Go to where you extracted the Red Gaming Edition Drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com and double-click on the DDU application.  This will extract DDU into its own folder.  Go to that folder and double-click Display Driver Uninstaller.  When the settings dialog appears, enable EVERY OPTION under AMD and Nvidia.  MOST IMPORTANTLY, enable "Prevent downloads of drivers from Windows Update" at the bottom.
    DDUOptions

12. In "Select Device Type" drop-down, select GPU
  13. In "Select Device" drop-down, select Nvidia.
  14. Select "Clean and DO NOT Restart".  Once complete, don't exit out of DDU.
  15. In "Select Device" drop-down, select AMD.
  16. Select "Clean and Restart".
  17. Once you are back at the desktop following your restart, NOW CONNECT YOUR EGPU.  Windows will start installing your device with multiple bells and whistles.
  18. Go to where you downloaded the Red Gaming Edition Drivers and double-click "setup".  This will start the AMD driver installation and will detect your configuration.  Once your configuration is detected, there will be an "Additional Options" drop-down where you'll need to enable the "Factory Reset" option.  Proceed with the install.  Your system will reboot, but keep the eGPU connected.  Once back at the desktop, the AMD driver installation will automatically continue.  Once the driver installation completes, reboot.
  19. If all went well, MONEY!!  Cold plug, hot plug all work as expected and no need for any EFI alterations or custom bootloaders.
  20. You'll probably want to go into Windows settings and tweak your display settings to your liking, but make sure that your external display is set as the primary display so that it uses the eGPU for hardware acceleration.
  21. OPTIONAL---  If you prefer, you can update your Windows 10 build to the latest version known to support eGPU's with relative ease, OS Build 18362.295 here, just BE SURE to download the correct version for your OS.

Benchmarks:

Vega 56 LuxBall Vega 56 Neumann Vega 56 Hotel Lobby
Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 1.28.21 PM

Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 1.24.40 PM

Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 1.31.10 PM

Iris Plus LuxBall Iris Plus Neumann Iris Plus Hotel Lobby
Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 1.34.34 PM
Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 1.37.12 PM
Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 1.39.50 PM

• Unigine Heaven

MacOS Internal Display MacOS External Display Windows Internal Display Windows External Display
HeavenMacOSInternalDisplay
HeavenMacOSExternalDisplay
HeavenWinInternalDisplay
HeavenWinExternalDisplay

• Unigine Valley

MacOS Internal Display MacOS External Display Windows Internal Display Windows External Display
ValleyMacOSInternalDisplay
ValleyMacOSExternalDisplay
ValleyWinInternalDisplay
ValleyWinExternalDisplay

• Unigine Superposition

Windows Internal Display Windows External Display
Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 4.46.43 PM
Screen Shot 2020 04 23 at 4.47.36 PM

Comments:

One observation I've made is that if you're running Windows in Bootcamp while in clamshell mode (external display only, Macbook Air closed), Windows runs a little choppy as if it isn't fully hardware accelerated, despite benchmarks and games being fully accelerated.  If you go to device manager and disable Intel Iris Plus graphics, that will force windows to use the eGPU for everything.  Buttery smooth after that.

Rebooting from Windows into MacOS can be done while in clamshell mode without opening the Macbook Air.  This is NOT the case when rebooting from MacOS into Windows.  You'll need to open the laptop and log into Windows from there UNLESS you set up Windows to automatically log you on at boot.  If you do that, you can reboot from/into either OS without ever having to open the Macbook Air.

I hope this helps someone out.  

Cheers.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

Some housekeeping items I forgot to mention, If you want to run Windows in clamshell mode, you'll need to go to your power options and change what closing the lid will do.  It's probably currently set to sleep.  You'll need to change that to "do nothing".  If you want to invert the scrolling in windows to match natural scrolling present in MacOS, just go regedit and search the registry for FlipFlopWheel.  Once regedit finds that entry, right-click on it and click modify.  Change the value data from 0 to 1.

regedit1
regedit2
regedit3

Exit out of regedit and reboot.  Your scrolling will match what you're used to in MacOS.

Razer Core X

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the detail write-up!

I tried my luck with my MBA just now by disabling the PCI Express Root Port and the FaceTime HD Camera. No luck still for me :(.

I think I'll start from scratch again over the weekend and try and follow your guide to the letter.

My set up does have a couple of behavior differences from yours too:

1. As mentioned in my other post, my MBA BSODs when connecte dto my Razer Core X Chroma with an nVidia 2080 Super. To avoid this, I have to disable the Network Adapter.

2. After disabling the Network Adapter and connecting the eGPU, I get code 12 on both the GPU and a "High Definition Audio Controller".

Do you think DDU is a necessary step for my set up? I think that should be an AMD-only requirement right?

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@ivan_loo, I think DDU should be run whether you're in the Green camp or the Red camp.  It will help you to rule out drivers being the issue.  The big thing here is to keep windows from installing any display drivers whatsoever at any point.  DDU has the option to prevent precisely this.  If you can't control the driver install, you'll likely have issues no matter what.  I'd definitely start fresh, and make sure you're not using a new build downloaded from Microsoft.  Use the site I linked to above to get a build version known to be eGPU friendly.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Corey Nopnop
(@corey_nopnop)

Followed it step by step, can confirm this works on my 2020 MacBook Air i5 variant with a sonnet egu + rx580. Thanks so much Andy!!!!

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

andygev35 and Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@corey_nopnop, glad it worked for you.  I've added the "Comments" section to the original post that you may want to read.  I don't know if you are experiencing what I added there, but it's a fix.

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, Hmm. Just want to clarify, the windows version to use is 1903 - 19H1, correct?

Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@ivan_loo, this is what you're looking for:

winver

Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@andygev35, yup okay. I followed the steps, but no dice.

I skipped gpedit.msc (as I don't have Windows Pro). Is there an alternative to the gpedit.msc step?

I also use a nvidia GPU, so that may be another significant difference. I downloaded the latest drivers for that. 

I'll try again tomorrow to be sure that it doesn't work.

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@corey_nopnop, glad to here that this worked for you! 

In my thread, you reported that you were stuck at the same stage as me. Just curious: did you get BSODs when hotplugging your eGPU in too?

ReplyQuote
 of  4