2020 13" MacBook Air [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macO...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" MacBook Air [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [andygev35]  

of  5
  RSS

Lworks80
(@lworks80)

I'm having issues with the bluetooth keyboard (Logitech). After going to Safe Mode and DDU, the keyboard is no longer connecting. What part do I need to fix again?

As well, the touch bar is not showing up too.

I installed Windows to the external SSD instead of the MacBook Pro's hard drive. I'm using the 2020 Intel i5 10th gen.

This post was modified 9 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
eightkin
(@eightkin)

@andygev35

I have the same 2020 Air as you do, however, I'm trying to get this to work with my AMD FX 5600XT.

The issue that I'm running into is with detecting the hardware itself. When I plug the TB3 cable from the Razer Core X into the port I hear the reassuring bells and whistles with a notification that its installing, however, in device manager it shows as "Microsoft Basic Device Adapter" with an Error Code 31 (The driver that tried to load was not the same driver during the POST").

I can initiate the setup for the bootcamp drivers, but when i get back to the desktop after the drivers requires me to restart it gives me Error 173 - could not proceed with install as no AMD hardware is detected.

If you have any advice on how to fix this issue that would be very much appreciated.

-using v1903 - 19H1.

-works perfectly on MacOS side.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@eightkin, I no longer have the Air, I upgraded to a 2020 4-port MBP, so I can't really help, but I did experience something like what you're describing.  What ultimately fixed it for me was to use the latest official WHQL AMD Adrenalin package instead of the Bootcampdrivers.com version.  Try running DDU in safe mode and use the same procedure but with the official Adrenalin software and see if that helps.  Also, if the eGPU isn't recognized on a reboot, try resetting the SMC and clearing NVRAM.  That's worked for me before as well.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MackieWack
(@mackiewack)

@andygev35, Just can't thank you enough for this.  I spent 8-10 hours trying to muddle my way through till @itsage directed me toward this build of yours.  It is perfect for 2020 Macbook Air + VEGA.  I think the real key in your build is the disabling of the PCI port #2 and maybe the FaceTime Camera.  This was the unique part your walk through I had never seen before.  I didn't even have to use Safe mode.  Just ran DDU under regular windows as you specified and removed NVIDIA and AMD drivers.  Haven't tested performace but everthing looks good.

Thanks AGAIN!!

2020 Macbook Air with i5 Intel + Razer Core V2 + Radeon Vega 56

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box ) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@mackiewack, I’m glad it worked for you.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MackieWack
(@mackiewack)

@andygev35, Thanks again for the detailed writeup.  I wanted to share my extended experience with this build...

I ran into an interesting situation the next day when I booted up Windows.  No Bluetooth.  Tried to up date the drivers but couldn't figure out how to make it work and couldn't figureout where the breakdown happened.  I wiped the Win 10 install and started over.  Checked BT at the end and it was ok but on restart, driver was gone.  After a bit of digging was able to discover that if you look for driver sources on your local machine, Broadcom driver "over" PCIe controller would still work but you would have to reload it with every reboot of Windows.  Was temped to just leave it that way but decided to give it one more go.

Wipe- again.  Reinstall Win 10 1903 V1 (.30).  Let Apple do the initial bootcamp driver install.  Check BT- All Good.  clicked on bootcamp update and found the bootcamp *.12 & *.13 updates for boot camp.  Installed *.12.  Checked BT- BT Gone!  Mind you, I had not updated to windows (.295) as yet.  It appears that bootcamp *.12 update wants to install a new BT driver.  I can't remember the exact name but the older driver is "over" PCIe controller.  Confirmed that reboot lost the correction each time.

Wipe- AGAIN.  As above but this time did not install new boot camp *.12 or *.13 drivers.  BT working fine.  Disabled all Windows updates.  All is well.

So....I don't know if this would not have been a problem if I had moved to windows .295 BEFORE doing the final bootcamp updates but at this point I don't care to try.  I have Windows working fine with my eGPU (VEGA 56).  And all I want is a little Rocket League every now and then.  Windows on this 2020 macbook air (i5) with eGPU does that in spades.  Buttery smooth...  Course now with a spare water cooling system laying around, I'm going to have to get rid of that blower and flash myself a VEGA 64. 🙂 

Don't know if this will help anyone.  Hope so.  This site has been immensely helpful to me.

2020 Macbook Air with i5 Intel + Razer Core V2 + Radeon Vega 56

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box ) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

andygev35 liked
ReplyQuote
 of  5