2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming B...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

I'm testing more Thunderbolt 4 laptops with Tiger Lake CPU. This MSI Prestige 14 EVO is the reference model Intel used for their TB4 Tiger Lake media kit. It has i7-1185G7 28W TDP, iGPU only, 16GB RAM, and 1TB NVMe drive. Best Buy has them on sale for $950 [Prestige14EVO012] which is an excellent value! The 14-in display is a nice size. Next to the 2020 13-in MacBook Pro, the footprint is almost the same (slightly longer width). I like the angled hinge design to help with airflow.

System specs:

2020 MSI Prestige 14 EVO – i7-1185G7/Iris Xe Graphics iGPU/16GB RAM/1TB SSD

eGPU hardware:

RTX 3080 Gaming Box + .7m Thunderbolt 3 cable + Samsung 43" 4K FrameTV

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

It was plug and play to get the RTX 3080 Gaming Box going in Windows 10 2004. I upgraded GeForce drivers to the latest version (without GeForce Experience). The laptop works with both cold-plug and hot-plug once drivers were installed.

Thunderbolt 4 is not necessarily faster than Thunderbolt 3. As with most things we've learned about this technology, every component of an eGPU setup can make a difference. You'd want the best host laptop possible in order to extract the most performance out of the external graphics card. The go-to configuration is direct Thunderbolt connection to the CPU. Ice Lake and now Tiger Lake laptops provide that ideal connection.

Benchmarks:

The processor TDP and its cooling system greatly effect eGPU performance. I'm a firm believer in iGPU-only ultrabook. There's only one main component to cool and it keeps things simple regarding graphics switching. Early testing shows this MSI Prestige 14 outperforming the Ice Lake 13-in MacBook Pro (paired with the same RTX 3080 Gaming Box) [unboxing link].

Comments:

This laptop cooling system is louder than the 2020 HP Spectre 15 I tested last month [build link]. It's a good trade-off imo for longer boost on the i7-1185G7. The machine comes with MSI Center utility to change performance modes and fan speeds. The fans can get rather noisy with "High Performance" and "Cooler Boost". I tried different combinations and found "High Performance" and "Advanced" to be a good setting.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Don Bones, aurelius pontius, hungsu and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Wonderful you have your hands on a 11th-gen Tiger Lake system that have PCIe 4.0 slots. Would you like to be the first to test a ADT-Link R43SG in the M.2 slot to see if can get reliable 64Gbps-M2 bandwidth?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

mr.ribeiro and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nando4, Absolutely! It's my next task with this laptop. Due to only one M.2 slot, I will relocate the NVMe drive to a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure and boot the machine up that way. Here's hoping the MSI BIOS settings will cooperate with ADT-Link R43SG

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ryan Zeelie
(@ryan_zeelie)
Eminent Member

I'm running the 1165g7 and use throttle stop to disable the turbo boost. it's extremely stable and honestly doesn't make much difference at all in terms of performance when not boosted. All games like CP / Tarkov / Valhalla the CPU cooks at 56-58 degrees without fan spin. Could be worth a try with this laptop. 

2020 14" MECHREVO S3 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Super @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Lycid
(@lycid)
Eminent Member

Great to see graphics results here + the comparison with the Lenovo Legion 3080 build posted in the other thread, which has a stronger CPU but not ice/tigerlake. You're hitting about 500-600pts higher in Timespy extreme just from tiger/icelake!

I really hope we start seeing these processors/TB4 end up in high end laptops instead of low-midrange ultrabooks. I really do need a good CPU + 15" screen for my work & some of the games I play so I can't really afford to have a midrange ultrabook just for the sake of a more efficient eGPU graphics output.

Laptop: Razer Blade Advanced 15" w/ GTX 2060, i7 8750H, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Razer Core x Chroma w/ 2080ti

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lycid, I hope we see a better Thunderbolt 4 implementation with 11th gen H-CPUs and AMD Ryzen CPUs. If we get direct CPU-TBT connection and 32Gbps bandwidth, the performance loss will be minimized significantly.

ReplyQuote
lwampir
(@lwampir)

@itsage, could You please run the Fire strike and time spy (normal not the extreme) ?

T480 8350U CBR20 score: 1550pts, 2x8Gb HyperX 2400Mhz 14-14-14, Akitio Node (silent mode,) EVGA GTX970

ReplyQuote
NessLookAlike
(@nesslookalike)

Posted by: @itsage

@nando4, Absolutely! It's my next task with this laptop. Due to only one M.2 slot, I will relocate the NVMe drive to a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure and boot the machine up that way. Here's hoping the MSI BIOS settings will cooperate with ADT-Link R43SG

@itsage any updates on PCIe4 via M2 adapter? 

Also, per the shot of the bottom without the cover on, aren't there 2 PCIe slots? Couldn't you use the WiFi PCIe slot with the appropriate ADT-link adapter, instead of the slot used for the NVMe SSD? 

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 2004 [build link TBD]

ReplyQuote
aurelius pontius
(@aurelius_pontius)

So much power in such a tiny laptop!

2019 15" Clevo P775TM1-G [9th,8C] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Максим Безменов
(@xavierteodonius)

@itsage, thank you for your build! 

I have a question about laptop itself. Could you please tell me about battery life? I have read a lot of mixed reviews, many users say battery life is very poor, like 3-5 hours mixed usage (without gaming, encoding or other heavy stuff). On top of that I want to buy 4k version, because in my country only it has 32gb ram (need for work). So in my case battery life will be even worse. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  2