2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming B...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 14" MSI Prestige 14 EVO [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004  

of  3
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nando4 and @nesslookalike, Unfortunately I was not able to get the ADT-Link R43SG to work with this laptop. I tried with different connect timings as well as SW1 & SW2 settings. The laptop would either freeze at the booting process or boot into Windows without eGPU detected. I will look into a different Tiger Lake host with PCIe 4.0 to the M.2 slot.

The M.2 slot location in this MSI Prestige 14 Evo is not great for M.2 eGPU adapter. As seen in the photos, I had to place the ADT-Link R43SG in front of the laptop (my unit has 70cm long cable).

@lwampir, Here are Time Spy and Fire Strike through an external monitor (Samsung 4K TV).

@xavierteodonius, When I use the laptop off the charger, the tasks are rather non-taxing so I have observed good battery life (over 6 hours with more than 30% left in one session). The 4K panel will consumer more power for sure. There's a MSI utility to change power and cooling settings.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@itsage , if I recall wasn't it also an older Gen3 capable MSI Prestige 14/15 that you found exhibited the same bootup/detection issue with a ADT-Link R43SG M.2 eGPU?

Worth testing AMD and Nvidia family cards to see if one fares better than the other, as well as different branded cards. The boot issue sounds like needs PERST# delay set and ATX_PWR on, with a cold boot of the laptop.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nando4, Yes it was the MSI Prestige 15 that I tried and never was able to get the M.2 eGPU going. I will look through the ADT-Link different settings and try again with a different GPU. One behavior I noticed was with the original NVMe drive installed through WaveLink TB3 enclosure. It would only boot when the computer was off (cold boot), not through a restart (warm boot). A warm boot would result into BIOS screen. I could not find any Thunderbolt settings in there unfortunately.

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
lwampir
(@lwampir)

Wow, just insane 3d mark scores Smile

T480 8350U CBR20 score: 1550pts, 2x8Gb HyperX 2400Mhz 14-14-14, Akitio Node (silent mode,) EVGA GTX970

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@lwampir, The on-screen visuals were very smooth during these benchmark runs. I took a quick look at UL's Time Spy average for RTX 3080 and the eGPU performance loss is about 15% in this setup.

ReplyQuote
SupermanNr1
(@supermannr1)

Hey itsage,

i've bought the same laptop yesterday and got some questions:

-ive got some coil whining when the power cable is plugged in. Do you got the same?

-it gets kind of loud while just watching youtube. Is it just to handle via the power mangament and a loss of perfomance by not using "best perfomance" mode?

-how is the chance that tiger lake h processors will have a direct cpu-tbt connection? Are there any informations yet?

-is the schenker media 14 a more quiet and better solution? It got just the i7-1165g7 but it got 2 fans and the fans arent blowing the warm air against the screen like its done from the 1 fan at the prestige 14 evo. Also schenker got more cpu performance with their vision 15 (i7-1165 too) in cinebench then msi with the i7-1185

Hope you can help me cause im looking for a nice portable laptop to combine with an egpu to be mobile and can do nice games. Tried the Dell Inspirion before but it was also horrorbly loud even with small loads. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@supermannr1, I have not used the power adapter that came with the laptop. All charging so far has been through a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosure or a monitor through USB-C port. I've noticed it's running louder than the HP Spectre 15 X360 I tested before. This is due to a smaller footprint and cooling system. I don't have information regarding Thunderbolt connection on Tiger Lake H-CPU.

ReplyQuote
NessLookAlike
(@nesslookalike)

Posted by: @itsage

@nando4 and @nesslookalike, Unfortunately I was not able to get the ADT-Link R43SG to work with this laptop. I tried with different connect timings as well as SW1 & SW2 settings. The laptop would either freeze at the booting process or boot into Windows without eGPU detected. I will look into a different Tiger Lake host with PCIe 4.0 to the M.2 slot.

Shoot, thats unfortunate. 🙁 Thanks for checking. Here's hoping for a proper PCIe-4 version sometime soon, or an aftermarket cable/housing for our own GPUs for the Asus ROG Flow X13. 

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 2004 [build link TBD]

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nesslookalike, I have been asking ASUS more about the eGPU implementation in their ROG XG Mobile. It would be cool to have an adapter for it but that's not easy. Many laptops don't have a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot/socket waiting for an adapter. For most, the NVMe M.2 solution is more logical and affordable.

ReplyQuote
NessLookAlike
(@nesslookalike)

Posted by: @itsage

@nesslookalike, I have been asking ASUS more about the eGPU implementation in their ROG XG Mobile. It would be cool to have an adapter for it but that's not easy.

Totally! I was implying that the Asus ROG Flow X13 might become the eGPU go-to if there were some kind of aftermarket cable/housing that folks could put their own desktop-class GPU in, for pairing with just that particular laptop. Shame it doesn't support PCIe-4 though over the link, but as its one of the few (only?) x8 laptops available, I'm not complaining. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 2004 [build link TBD]

ReplyQuote
 of  3