2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 ...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [itsage]  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I have been experimenting with water cooling and it turns out an external GPU is the perfect learning platform. I didn't need to worry about TDP of both CPU and GPU or needing additional components in a typical Desktop custom loop. Without the constraints of the PC case and motherboard, I felt more confident in the event of water spilling I wouldn't damage expensive stuff. The build began with a great find at Microcenter on an EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Hydro Copper graphics card ($240). It was sold as-is due to issues reported by previous buyers. I tore the whole thing apart as soon as I got home to clean the water block and applied new thermal paste and pads. All was well!

Next was to procure the different components in a water loop. I got a FreezeMod 800L/H pump + reservoir ($74 Amazon), an open-box XSPC RX120 V3 radiator ($23 TitanRig), a 6-pack Bitspower G1/4" fittings for 16mm OD rigid tubing ($34 TitanRig), a meter long Bitspower 16mm OD rigid tubing ($8 Microcenter), 2x Bitspower 120mm cooling fans ($11 each Microcenter), a Lamptron CFP30 Fan & LED controller ($9 TitanRig), and a gallon bottle of distilled water ($2 grocery store). What I learned fairly quick is how expensive the fittings can get, and you would always need more fittings than you thought. I made a couple more trips to Microcenter to get 2x plug fittings ($5 each) to close unused inlets/outlets on the reservoir.

Also not accounted for in the component list are some tools needed to bend the rigid tubing. I have a heat gun in my household tool box, but had to purchase a Thermaltake Pacific PETG Hard Tube Bending Kit. It takes a lot of patience to learn the right melting point of the tubing material. I wasted nearly .5m of tubing due to overheating (warped, bubbles, and burnt). The end result is far from perfect but I archived a full loop without any leaking. 

System specs:

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio – Intel Core i5-11300H + Iris Xe Graphics iGPU /16GB RAM/256GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

WD_Black D50 Game Dock + ADT-Link R43SG + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Hydro Copper + .8m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

The hard part of this build is in hardware connection. The software part is almost plug-and-play. The non-functional piece is sleep mode. The laptop would go to sleep but the ADT-Link R43SG adapter does not power down. When Windows wakes up from sleep, it recognizes the Thunderbolt 3 dock, but cannot find an active PCIe component anymore. The different power states between three devices cause a real headache. A simple reboot does not get the eGPU detected again after sleep and wake issue. What I needed to do is a full power reset of WD_Black D50 and ADT-Link R43SG as well as disconnecting the M.2 adapter from the TB3 dock NVMe M.2 slot. Now, I either disconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable or turn the laptop off completely when I'm done using this eGPU to prevent this hassle.

Best part of this eGPU is the performance. The JHL7440 Thunderbolt 3 controller in this WD-Black D50 Game Dock provides up to 3,000 MB/s throughput [discussion link]. It's higher than the typical limit of 2,800 MB/s in most Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosures. I had initially planned on connecting the PCIe 4.0 version of the R43SG 4.0 to the Surface Laptop Studio. Unfortunately, the M.2 slot inside this laptop is only running at PCIe 3.0. Another obstacle is the fact that Microsoft glued the battery packs to the bottom case so there's a thin ribbon cable attaching to the motherboard. Having a half opened laptop to use the R43SG adapter for eGPU wouldn't be very safe imo.

Some would say the 120mm radiator is insufficient to cool the RTX 2080 Ti. I have found it to be working very well with two cooling fans in push-pull configuration. I could actually overclock this card to near 2,200 MHz GPU and 8,500 MHz memory. The most stable settings I've found was 2,100 MHz GPU and 8,300 MHz memory. It is well above the default clocks of 1,545 MHz GPU and 7,000 MHz memory. Left screen capture is AIDA64 GPGPU with the default vBIOS, and right screen capture is with the OC applied.

Benchmarks:

The 120Hz panel on this Surface Laptop Studio is very nice. I'm able to run the eGPU in loopback mode and lose about 10% performance, but in FHD the FPS is making the most of 120Hz refresh rate so it's a very good pairing. Here are some synthetic benchmark numbers in both loopback and external monitor.

Loopback Internal Display External HDMI Monitor

Comments:

Cooling performance is excellent with this "open" custom loop. The eGPU temp never went above low 40˚C. I'm setting the fan controller knob at the minimum settings and there's very little noise during use. Most of the warm air and noise come from the SLS base. The Lamptron CFP30 controller handle RGB on the fans too. The default blue matches both EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Hydro Copper and Windows 11 background perfectly. This eGPU setup costs more than a certified eGFX such as Razer Core X Chroma or Mantiz Saturn Pro, but it provides better performance and flexibility. Best of all is the water cool factor.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

cnon297, Jkeychen Liew, Manuel Esteve and 6 people liked
ReplyQuote
jefniro
(@jefniro)
Reputable Member

@itsage, WOW!!! That's amazing!!! Thank you for all the details of this masterwork!

2019 14" HP EliteBook 840 G6 [8th,4C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
MozKy
(@mozky)

Love the build!

Side question: @itsage do you think the Studio is the best laptop for eGPU that you've ever used? (You seem to have a lot of laptops)

I'm debating between keeping my MBP 16' i9 vs selling it to buy the studio. It looks awesome and you confirmed it working with eGPU. 

This post was modified 1 month ago
2017 13" Dell XPS 13 9365 [7th,2C,Y] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mozky, H-CPU laptops with a direct connection from Thunderbolt controller to the processor are best for eGPU performance. 11th generation H-CPU such as this Surface Laptop Studio has integrated TBT controller so it's a direct connection. The 15-in and 16-in MacBook Pros have a fairly unique arrangement for 6-9th generation H-CPU regarding Thunderbolt connection. Apple route the TBT controllers directly to the CPU rather than going through the PCH first (like most other laptops). I would hang on to the 2019 16-in i9 rather than sell it to buy SLS. The eGPU performance is very comparable between them. Maybe wait for the next version of the SLS because I personally don't like the sharp edges and the awning design of the bottom case. Microsoft may have improved the hinges of the touch display too by then.

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

MozKy liked
ReplyQuote
MozKy
(@mozky)

@itsage, thank you for the advice and explanation. I read that SLS has a haptic touchpad and was hoping I can make the switch. I've always prefered Windows but the Apple touchpad is just awesome (not the size, just the force touch is additive). 

2017 13" Dell XPS 13 9365 [7th,2C,Y] + GTX 1060 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mozky, I agree with the second-to-none Apple trackpad. The one thing I have not found replacement for in Windows is drag with three fingers. The trackpad on the SLS is really good, but not on par with MacBook Pro just yet.

MozKy liked
ReplyQuote