2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro V2) + Win10 21H1  

RSS

yurgon
(@yurgon)

This is not my first eGPU build, but I've been keenly waiting for 11th Gen processors with on-die TB to be available in my area and this is my first official post.

So far I'm impressed with the Asus Tuf Dash F15, overall it's a great performer and excellent compromise between work and play. The only drawback of my model (FX516PM) is the 144hz panel, which is average and the limited UEFI. 

System specs 

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 – i7-11370H/RTX 3060 dGPU/Iris Xe Graphics iGPU/16GB RAM/SK hynix 512GB nvme SSD + Samsung 980 1GTB nvme SSD

eGPU hardware 

GTX1070 + Mantiz Saturn Pro V2 (MZ-03) + 2m Active Belkin TB3 Cable + 27" 144hz AOC Agon AG272FCX

Hardware pictures

20210715 224255

Installation steps

1. Install Windows 10

2. Run Windows 10 update

3. Run DDU to prevent auto-installation

4. Plug power into Mantiz Saturn Pro + Connect TB cable from Saturn Pro to laptop 

5. Install latest nvidia driver, which was 471.11 at time of writing

6. Restart latop

7. Open device manager and disabled dGPU (RTX3060)

8. Enjoy

Benchmarks (All benchmarks performed with fan mode set to performance in Asus Armoury Crate)

dGPU Internal display | eGPU External Display

Asus Tuf Dash F15 FX516PM eGPU MantizSaturnProV2 TimeSpy1 xe disabled

Superposition medium bench was completed after the rest and while testing Win 11 preview

Comments:

This setup allows me to have a dock that connects all my peripherals, with the added benefit of reduced heat and noise emissions. 

I love that I can use this setup with almost any TB3/TB4 device, making for an easy transition if I change devices.

The laptop fans are silent during office work and barely audible while gaming. I have benched the device with different armoury thermal profiles using Asus' Armoury Crate and there is minimal peformance gain with Turbo fan mode vs Performance. It's approx 1-3fps gain at 1080p when using the dGPU and there is no noticable differennce when using an eGPU - the laptop cooling system is more than enough when not using the dGPU.

At present the dGPU performs better than the eGPU, but that's because I'm waiting for Graphics card prices to fall before purchasing. The GTX1070 still comfortably plays all my games at 1080p. 

The Mantiz Saturn Pro is an excellent eGPU enclosure, and certainly an improvement on the Mantiz Venus - dual controllers definitely help with reliability. The gold rated PSU, port selection, internal HDD and space for larger GPU's is amazing.

For anyone looking to purchase the Asus Tuf F15 there are a few things to consider:

- I would highly recommend getting the version with the 240hz panel if possible. The 144hz panel is perfectably usable, but is definitely a budget panel, with poor black uniformity and noticable backlight bleed. 

- The UEFI is fairly limited. My main gripe is that there are no Thunderbolt Security options. Thunderbolt is set to no security and it is not possible to enable user authentication, or disable the thunderbolt port. I should note that TB4 does have enhanced security and DMA protection over TB3, so this probably won't be a concern for many users.

- Battery life is acceptable, but the advertised 16hr was tested at min brightness with the laptop at idle. I get between 2-4hrs depending on usage and approx 1hr if gaming.

- Personally I think it is great balance between portability and power.

This topic was modified 4 days ago

System: Asus Tuf Dash F15, i7 11370h,16GB, RTX3060 dGPU
eGPU1: Aorus Gaming Box, GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8G
eGPU2: Mantiz Saturn Pro v2, RX5500 XT 4GB

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro V2) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

itsage and Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote