2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 2004 // my 1st RX 6900 XT build  

of  2
  RSS

odin
 odin
(@odin)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @mcazurex

Should I download the 30 series laptop GPU driver or the desktop version for the dGPU after uninstalled the old driver with DDU? I got a 3060 dGPU and aorus 3080 gaming box but the dGPU will be disable when eGPU plugged in. And somehow the aorus engine is not working(saw it killed in the task manager) maybe due to the driver version issue.

There is no such thing as a desktop vs laptop driver. Just get the latest DCH drivers and go at it, unless you're one that likes to use a repackaged driver without GFE etc.. I've never had any issues with just installing the DCH version in express mode though, as much as people crow about using DDU and slimmed down drivers all the time I've had zero issues. I think the last time I had a problem was a driver version a few years ago that actually had a bug and I had to reinstall the previous version, and that had nothing to do with DDU or DCH vs Non-DCH.

I can't speak to vendor specific driver versions, but those don't have any different or custom binaries in them, I think usually it's just some .inf modification to lock it down to a specific vendor because they "certified" the laptop with it and don't feel like fielding customer support questions about other driver versions.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong about this. It's odd that they have a notebook specific download on their site, I don't recall the GPU support being different between the two driver packages. Odd.

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mcazurex, Don't use the laptop version of the Nvidia drivers. My installation process for a laptop with dGPU is to first run DDU and remove existing drivers. Then I proceed to install the latest drivers for eGPU.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

odin liked
ReplyQuote
McAzurex
(@mcazurex)

@odin, Thanks for the reply. I saw some can run 20 series dGPU with 30 series eGPU. So I wonder if Nvidia use different core for desktop and laptop GPU again in 30 series cause this issue.

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
McAzurex
(@mcazurex)

@itsage, Thanks. Do you have any idea about the aorus engine crash? I'm using the dell G5 5510(i7+3060) and aorus 3080 gaming box for work and want the default RGB off. I downloaded and installed the latest version from gigabyte website but I can't see the window when launching it. It showed in the task manager for about 10s then got killed. It's pretty odd that when I unplugged the eGPU, I can run the aorus engine for a few times but no option to change the RGB setting.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@mcazurex, AORUS Engine has always been buggy. If one version doesn't work, I'd recommend trying an older version to see if that makes a difference.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2