2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Man...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win11 22000  

RSS

yurgon
(@yurgon)

I finally got my RTX 3060 ti, so thought I would write up a build Smile

Hopefully my next build with be with the frame.work laptop, because that thing is incredible. 

System specs 

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 – i7-11370H/RTX 3060 dGPU/Iris Xe Graphics iGPU/16GB RAM/SK hynix 512GB nvme SSD + Samsung 980 1GTB nvme SSD

eGPU hardware 

RTX 3060 ti + Mantiz Saturn Pro II (MZ-03) + 2m Active Belkin TB3 Cable + 27" 144hz AOC Agon AG272FCX

Hardware pictures

20210921 122229
20210921 123006

20210922 084949
20210922 085029

Installation steps

1. Install Windows 10

2. Run Windows 10 update

3. Run DDU to prevent auto-installation

4. Plug power into Mantiz Saturn Pro II + Connect TB cable from Saturn Pro to laptop 

5. Install latest nvidia driver

6. Restart latop

7. Open device manager and disabled dGPU (RTX3060)

8. Enjoy

GPU Notes and Comments

The GPU is an RTX 3060 ti Gigabyte Eagle v2 LHR non OC. I do not see the point in factory OC models for most scenarios. Newer GPU's boost automatically and majority perform far beyond their advertised clocks. This GPU is no exception, boosting between 1950-2020 MHz and sitting around 63 degrees celsius with extended use. 

Like many reports online, the RTX 3060ti Eagle can be a little noisy when the fans ramp up. This doesn't bother me as they're rarely loud when I'm working and I wear headphones when gaming. It's also not difficult to adjust the fan curve for a greater balance between performance, temperature and noise. FYI Don't use Aorus RGB Fusion, it's absolute garbage - unreliable and causes system crashes. IF you have to use it (for RGB), ensure you have disabled it in system startup and services - only open it to set RGB preferences as needed.

I should note that for users intending to heavily overlock, a premium GPU with improved cooling and power limits can be beneficial (e.g. EVGA FTW Ultra 3, or Asus Strix models). However, I find that you can often buy buy a higher Tier GPU, for the same price as these Premium/OC models. Not that any of this would apply with the current worldwide price shenanigans.

For anyone interested, I have flashed the vBIOS in my GB Eagle RTX 3060 ti, with the Eagle RTX 3060ti OC vBIOS. This was done after the benchmarks below and purely to compare the performance. The OC vBIOS does increase power limit from 200w to 220w, but target power remains at 200w. This results in a laughable performance increase of 7 points in FireStrike and 5 points in TimeSpy. I do not recommend attempting to flash the vBIOS of a GPU, especially if you're unfamiliar with the process - their is a real risk of perfmanent damage.

Resizeable BAR:

This GPU arrived with Resizeable BAR firmware already installed and the OC vBIOS I tried also supports Resizeable BAR. When running TechPowerUp GPU-Z it shows Resizeable BAR enabled and HWiNFO64 seems to indicate the same (screenshots below). Short of the info from GPU-Z and HWiNFO, I'm not sure how to test or confirm if Resizeable BAR is working over Thunderbolt 4. However, it does appear to be the case. 

RTX3060ti Gigabyte Eagle
RTX3060ti Gigabyte EagleOC

HWiNFO ResizeBAR

Benchmarks (All benchmarks performed with fan mode set to performance in Asus Armoury Crate)

CUDA Z
HWinfo 1
HWinfo 2
HWinfo 3

dGPU Internal display | eGPU External Display

Asus Tuf Dash F15 FX516PM dGPU TimeSpy1
TimeSpy RTX3060tiOC FX516PM SaturnProV2 Perf

Asus Tuf Dash F15 FX516PM dGPU FireStrike1
FireStrike RTX3060tiOC FX516PM SaturnProV2 Perf

Asus Tuf Dash F15 FX516PM dGPU Unigine Valley Extreme
UnigineValley

Asus Tuf Dash F15 FX516PM dGPU Unigine Heaven Extreme
UnigineHeaven

Asus Tuf Dash F15 FX516PM dGPU Unigine Superposition Medium
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 18356 1632213868

dGPU tests were performed on Win10 21H1 with nvidia driver 471.11, all other test performed on Win 11 build 22000.194 with nvidia driver 471.41

Comments:

This setup allows me to have a dock that connects all my peripherals, with the added benefit of reduced heat and noise emissions. 

I love that I can use this setup with almost any TB3/TB4 device, making for an easy transition if I change devices.

The laptop fans are silent during office work and barely audible while gaming. I have benched the device with different armoury thermal profiles using Asus' Armoury Crate and the laptop cooling system is more than enough when not using the dGPU.

- There is minimal peformance gain with Turbo fan mode vs Performance. ~1-3fps gain at 1080p with dGPU and there is no discernable difference when using eGPU.

- I have also compared Performance vs Silent modes and the difference is negligible in most games and applications when using the eGPU. (Silent is my preferred profile)

The Mantiz Saturn Pro is an excellent eGPU enclosure, and certainly an improvement on the Mantiz Venus - dual controllers definitely help with reliability. The gold rated PSU, port selection, internal HDD and space for larger GPU's is amazing.

For anyone looking to purchase the Asus Tuf F15 there are a few things to consider:

- I would highly recommend getting the version with the 240hz panel if possible. The 144hz panel is perfectably usable, but is definitely a budget panel, with poor black uniformity and noticable backlight bleed. 

- The UEFI is fairly limited. My main gripe is that there are no Thunderbolt Security options. Thunderbolt is set to no security and it is not possible to enable user authentication, or disable the thunderbolt port. I should note that TB4 does have enhanced security and DMA protection over TB3, so this probably won't be a concern for many users.

- Battery life is acceptable, but the advertised 16hr was tested at min brightness with the laptop at idle. I get between 2-4hrs depending on usage and approx 1hr if gaming.

- Personally I think it is great balance between portability and power.

This topic was modified 1 month ago
2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 (RTX3060) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win11 22000 [build link]  

Jkeychen Liew, mr.ribeiro, goalque and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote