2021 15" Xiaomi Redmibook Pro 15 (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Ra...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 15" Xiaomi RedmiBook Pro 15 (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10  

RSS

Ruben Serralva
(@ruben_serralva)

System specs

Redmibook pro 15 2021, mx450/i5 version

CPU: i5 11300h

iGPU: Intel xe 80eu

dGPU: mx 450 28w gddr5

eGPU hardware

eGPU enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma

Video Card: GTX 1060 (its an OEM blower card so it probably has lower clock speeds and a bit lower performance)

Cable: Maxonar 2 meters

Hardware pictures

IMG 20210605 133830
IMG 20210605 133836

Installation steps

At first the egpu wasnt working, because while it was connecting, everytime i launched a game, it used the mx 450, the solution i found was to disable the mx 450 in device manager, if you have the same laptop without the mx 450, you probably wont have this problem

Then everything works dispite the fact that the cpu throttles, at first even thought it was at 60C, it stayed at 1.3ghz while gaming, this game me horrible performance, i fixed this by uninstalling Intel DPTF

then i got thermal throttling, at stock settings PL1 is set at 35W and PL2 at 64W or something i believe, this makes the cpu hit about 96C pretty quickly (in a matter of seconds) and makes it throttle back to really low clocks wich causes horrible performances

Since Tiger Lake cannot be undervolted the solution i found (while not ideal i think its better than having it throttling) was to limit the tdp of the cpu to the max it can handle without reaching 90C for extended periods and without throttling wich i found it was about 23W (you can also set it to 20W wich will lower temperatures further)

The drawback is that this reduces greatly the cpu performance as it now will stay at around 2.7Ghz instead of hitting 4.4Ghz like before

This tdp limit can be done via the "TDP Bat menu" programm that can be found on the gpd win discord

(The DPTF removal and this tdp limit can also be usefull for other laptops using Tiger Lake and that throttle)

Benchmarks

this is using the external display and the cpu with the tdp limited to 23w:

Cuda Z:

Valley:

Ultra 8x AA 1080p:

low no AA 1080p:

3DMark Time Spy

3DMark FireStrike Extreme

Detroit Become Human:

This is the kind of game where this setup can show its weaknesses because its a cpu intensive game, on cpu light scenes it hits perfect 60fps, then there are scenes where it holds around 40fps, but there are also some scenes like outdoors where it dips to 20fps, overall its playable but its a bit anoying to have the fps fluctuate between 20fps and 40fps

CSGO:

I only tested on mirage with bots, and it has about 250fps on Ultra 1080p

Rocket League: Only tested with bots, but around 150fps on Ultra

Borderlands 3: only played for some minutes but it hit around 80-90 fps (1080p low settings, but it would hit the same frame rate with ultra settings if it was a better gpu)

Comments 

I had a gaming desktop, but i also needed a laptop for college, and always wanted to try an egpu setup, i sold the desktop and bought the enclosure, and switched to this setup, while this has many disadvantages, this also opens new possibilities, for example meanwhile i had a powerfull desktop at home, when i travelled i could play games, but now it is super easy to carry the laptop and the egpu case with me

Im planning on selling the gtx 1060 and buying an rtx 3060 or 3070 once the prices come back to normal, will post updates once i buy it

It would be nice if i could find a way to be able to improve the tdp and performance of the cpu tho, one i idea i had was to buy a laptop cooling base, i think that would work really well with this laptop because the bottom (and the whole chassis) is made of aluminium

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2021 15" Xiaomi RedmiBook Pro 15 (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

goalque, itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Ruben Serralva
(@ruben_serralva)

UPDATE:

just swapped my gtx 1060 (and some extra cash) for a gtx 1070, i will test it out and post a new build with benchmarks

As for the thermal throttle, does anyone think that using liquid metal could improve my thermals enough so that i could push the tdp up further?

2021 15" Xiaomi RedmiBook Pro 15 (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote