2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903  

RSS

GamingMadeStrange
(@gamingmadestrange)

System specs:

• 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
  • 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5300M

eGPU Hardware

My goal was to create a comprehensive post. Before trying I recommend you start with purging your Bootcamp partition if you already have it set up - remember to back up, and Bootcamp assistant will do this automatically (if you don't have Bootcamp set up don't worry about this.

First BIG Credits to: @remaker, @itsage, @daniele_pugliese, @itechtics-Usman Khurshid, @aa15032261

This is a culmination of their work and way too many half-successful attempts on my part.

Installation steps: For windows in BootCamp

1. Download Windows 10, Version 1903 - 19H1 (build 18362.30) & Install via Bootcamp assistant (Download link for specific Windows version here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php )
  2. Follow Windows setup - without internet (offline mode)
  3. Install Bootcamp drivers and restart
  4. Go online / configure wifi
  5. Recommend to prepare step 6 file just incase so windows doesn’t try to auto-update while you’re trying to disable updates
  6. Disable Windows Auto Updates: The most reliable approach is through Group Policy [gpedit.msc]. (If not found download and install from here) then turn windows updates off - run gpedit.msc then Expand Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates. Double-click Configure Automatic Updates to make changes.
  7. Download latest bootcampdrivers.com (red version) -> extract file
  8. Boot into safe mode -> load DDU to remove AMD GPU drivers and disable windows driver updates and restart.
  9. install AMD drivers downloaded from bootcampdrivers.com and restart.

———-Now to fix Error 12 This is necessary ———

Boot into macOS

1. Download bootx64.efi (v0.5)
  2. Boot to macOS recovery mode
  3. Set Security Boot to "No Security” from the startup security utility
  4. Boot to macOS
  5. Mount EFI partition using Clover Configurator (look for EFI on Bootcamp)
  6. Open EFI disk from desktop then go to /EFI/Boot
  7. Rename /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi to /EFI/Boot/bootx64_original.efi
  8. Copy bootx64.efi from step 1 to /EFI/Boot

Time for the fun - Option Restart

1. Select the Windows startup disk
  2. Wait until apple_set_os loaded then -> Connect in your eGPU to the top thunderbolt port on the left side
  3. Once Windows is booted, disconnect your eGPU then connect it to a thunderbolt port on the right side
  4. Connect your eGPU again to the port you chose at step 2
  5. Error 12 should disappeared.
  6. You're done.

Credits: @remaker, @itsage, @daniele_pugliese, @itechtics-Usman Khurshid, @aa15032261

Couldn’t have done it without everyone @'ed nn this page. The goal of this was to refine the steps in an organized fashion and end with a working EGPU set up worry-free of any update issues.

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago
2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

Mini i5, nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jrobijns
(@jrobijns)

Usually, I'm the kind of person that uses the solutions and then is just happy.
Because this one took me so much time, I wanted to share my setup to possibly help others avoid wasting a lot of time.

I can confirm that this exact solution also works with my setup:

• MacBook Pro, 16" 2019 model (2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9)
  • Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB as discrete GPU
  • Razer Core X enclosure
  • SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 Special Edition
  • Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2)

Especially the Error 12 fix through EFI was a saviour. I was honestly going mad before I found that one.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
GamingMadeStrange
(@gamingmadestrange)

@jrobijns, Thank you, I truly appreciate your feedback. I think sadly I am actually going to forgo the EGPu route in favor of a dedicated separate computer due to unrelated issues from my Razer Core X. Went in cycles then I found out my PSU in the Core X was going out. So long story, I am happy that I was able to culminate everything I learned into one helpful post. Couldn't of done it without this amazing community.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,8C,H] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Limga
(@limga)

Thank you very much for sharing this guide! It helped me a lot, I installed a clean Windows and got my Vega 64 to work!

Posted by: @gamingmadestrange

• Select the Windows startup disk
  • Wait until apple_set_os loaded then -> Connect in your eGPU to the top thunderbolt port on the left side
  • Once Windows is booted, disconnect your eGPU then connect it to a thunderbolt port on the right side
  • Connect your eGPU again to the port you chose at step 2
  • Error 12 should disappeared.
  • You're done.

Can you please clarify, do I need to do this everytime when I boot in Windows? Or hotplug should work?

MacBook Pro 16 (5500M 8Gb, i9 2.3GHz, 32Gb RAM), Razer Core X Chroma, Vega 64 (custom liquid cooling)

ReplyQuote
bluexyzz
(@bluexyzz)

@jrobijns, can you tell me what version of macos you're running? I have a similar setup and am trying to figure out if upgrading to Big Sur will kill it or not. Thanks!

Macbook Pro 2019 16" 64GB/5500M 8GB
PowerColor RX 5700 XT + Razer Core X Chroma

ReplyQuote
jrobijns
(@jrobijns)

@bluexyzz, I am running Big Sur with the latest updates. That includes the latest bootcamp drivers for Windows 10. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote