2021 13" Framework Laptop [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 x4 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 13" Framework Laptop [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 x4 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 21H1 // first four GPU TB4 build  

RSS

DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Estimable Member

System specs 

13.5" Framework Laptop

Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7

64GB DDR4 3200MHz (G.Skill 2x 32GB)

Intel Iris Xe Graphics (iGPU)

Windows 10 Pro 21H1

eGPU hardware 

Razer Core X: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090

Razer Core X: MSI GTX 1080Ti

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box RTX 3090

Gigabyte Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070

Hardware pictures 

IMG 4321
IMG 4320
IMG 4322
IMG 4323

Installation steps

I got the DIY version of this laptop and installed my own RAM, SSD, and WiFi card, all of which I already had lying around. Once Windows was installed, I simply plugged in the eGPU's and after a minute or so, it automagically setup and was working! This laptop has 4x configurable I/O ports which are basically TB4(?) USB-c ports with various options for slide in dongles/adapters (displayport, HDMI, thunderbolt or USB-c, USB-A). If you look underneath, you can see that these dongles/adapters are just plugging into USB-c ports. I plugged 2 of the eGPU's directly into these ports demonstrating that the dongles aren't necessary although they probably provide some protection for the laptop (you can easily replace the dongle if someone trips over the cord) plus it's a little more aesthetically pleasing.  

Benchmarks 

IMG 4324
IMG 4326

Here's some CUA-z, whatever this tells us. I took these while they were running full blast at cryptomining, FWIW. I'll try to run some benchmarks, but most of the usual benchmarks require some manual adjusting to force them to run on particular GPU's/monitors. 

Comments

I'm currently just using this for cryptocurrency mining, mainly to see if this laptop really can accept 4x eGPU's. After I run some benchmarks, I'm going to compare some deep-learning algorithm training. 

This topic was modified 1 month ago
2021 13" Framework Laptop [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 x4 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 21H1 // first four GPU TB4 build [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@dregpu, Very cool to see all 4x eGPUs running in Windows. Thank you for sharing this build!

This is much cooler and safer way to put a mining rig together. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DrEGPU
(@dregpu)
Estimable Member

@itsage Thanks! I'm still undecided if it looks more or less sketchy than a wireframe rack full GPU's and wires! 

2021 13" Framework Laptop [11th,4C,G] + RTX 3090 x4 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 21H1 // first four GPU TB4 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
juniorjpdj
(@juniorjpdj)

I'm very much interested in eGPU on framework laptop. Could you please test some linux on it? I'm going to buy framework and would like to know if it's painless on linux to play with it.

My Macbook Pro 2017 has issues with eGPU on linux but on Windows it works good. ;/

Another question: Does framework charge using eGPU case? On every USB-C port?

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote