2021 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 9th Gen [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 14" Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 9th Gen [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win10  

RSS

Rhys Saldanha
(@rhys_saldanha)

System specs

2021 14" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 9th Gen

CPU: Intel Core i7-1185G7

iGPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics

dGPU: MSI GTX 1080 Aero OC

HWiNFO:

Video Bus: PCIe v3.0 x16 (8.0 GT/s) @ x4 (8.0 GT/s)

Installation steps

Very much plug and play! I manually installed the Nvidia Geforce software so that I could keep the drivers up-to-date outside of Windows Updates.

Benchmarks

3DMark: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/62448786

CUZA-Z: (With 3rd party 2m TB4 cable) 

Comments

I'm in the process of getting a TB4 cable as the one provided by Mantiz is TB3 and only 1m long. I purchased a TB4 cable to replace a 3rd party TB3 2m cable. Even though the enclosure doesn't have TB4 controller, the simple act of swapping the cable seems to have improved my CUDA performance. I will test with the original TB3 1m cable provided by Mantiz when I have a chance.

Being able to plug a single cable into the laptop and get access to a dGPU, speakers (through monitor output), mouse, keyboard, ethernet, webcam, wired DS4 controller and modmic wireless is amazing. Gaming performance is on par or better than my old 6th gen i5 desktop with the same GPU, but with all the portable convenience when we can travel again.

This topic was modified 6 months ago
2021 14" Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 9th Gen [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Thank you for your build.  Your CUDA-Z results are under what's expected for a 32Gbps link as per https://egpu.io/builds#perf . Pls ensure you do the CUDA-Z run while the eGPU is idle.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@nando4, I've actually seen very different readings depending on the connected enclosure with Tiger Lake hosts. Of the laptops I've tried, so far I could only conclude that it's on the laptop's firmware. The two examples are ASUS 14-in ZenBook Duo and Samsung 15-in Galaxy Book Pro. I connected the Galaxy Book Pro to 5 different eGPU enclosures and cards this past week and took same screen captures in AIDA64 and HWiNFO64; will be posting that build soon.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Rhys Saldanha
(@rhys_saldanha)

@nando4, I can disconnect my monitor and see if that changes the results? I'm also a bit weary of the PCIE 4x connection, when hwinfo reports that the port can go up to 16x - my guess is because the enclosure isn't TB4, I'm leaving bandwidth on the table.

2021 14" Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 9th Gen [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Rhys Saldanha
(@rhys_saldanha)

@nando4, looks like it was a simple case of buying a cheap TB3 cable, new CUDA results are still with a monitor attached but hwinfo reports a much better connection (2.5GT/s -> 8.0GT/s)

ReplyQuote
fndg
 fndg
(@fndg)

The X1 carbon gen9 is plagued with aggressive thottling which leads to FPS dips. Have you observed this behaviour? I'd expect it to occur when the CPU load is high (offloading the graphics to your eGPU should still help compared to using the igpu).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rhys Saldanha
(@rhys_saldanha)

Posted by: @fndg

The X1 carbon gen9 is plagued with aggressive thottling which leads to FPS dips. Have you observed this behaviour? I'd expect it to occur when the CPU load is high (offloading the graphics to your eGPU should still help compared to using the igpu).

Thank you for reminding me to talk about this! When I got the laptop, yes, it performed horribly. Regardless of internal GPU or eGPU, I would get FPS dips constantly, making gaming a painful experience. At the time, I didn't know it was a widespread issue, and was emailing Lenovo to send the laptop for repairs.

However, at the beginning of June (IIRC) there was a BIOS update, which in the small print mentioned that it fixed 'some performance issues'. Since this update, the laptop has been working flawlessly when gaming / under high loads.

ReplyQuote