2022 14" Lenovo Yoga 9i Gen 7 [12th,12C,P] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X...

Notifications
Clear all

2022 14" Lenovo Yoga 9i Gen 7 [12th,12C,P] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win11 22H2  

of  3
  RSS

OmegaMalkior
(@omegamalkior)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @master_axe_1

@wildfear, FWIW I can't replicate @omegamalkior's results. Granted I haven't tested much at all, but my Yoga 9i (16GB and OLED) is stuck on 38W PL1 (long term turbo). I'm on the newest BIOS, too. I guess I could up PL1 in XTU, throttlestop won't apply changes. 38W has me at 78-80°C already though, so I doubt I could push another 26W. (used Prime95 for consistency)

I'll repaste sometime soon, when I get around to it. If the heatsink is copper, I'll use LM.

That's rather odd. It shows in Throttlestop that the limit reason is PL1? And you're sure you have Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits checked in FIVR? You might have not have that checked cuz that's the only reason why it wouldn't be working for you. Make sure you have set Sync MMIO in the TPL menu and hit on lock after you've seen it synced. Where did you get your OLED model btw? I assume you're from the EU since in the US it's not available here yet. And just making sure, the BIOS update is from April 8th, so if you see anything related to VR CURRENT limits then double check if you're up to date or not, cuz Just Josh had thought he was on the latest in his 9i gen 7 review but he double checked after uploading and he was not on it. 

and you can most probably push another 26w since we have the same temps running at 38w (around 80 C) which is the same almost as my video showing it. But yeah, gotta work on Throttlestop first

Make sure you're also using the Performance profile in Lenovo Vantage/those 1 click function keys as well along side either High Performance mode in Throttlestop or Best Performance in Windows 11 battery settings menu as well.

Edit: I attach my Throttlestop.ini file to see if it helps 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/p87ymnqacy935zv/ThrottleStop.ini/file

2022 14" ASUS ZenBook 14X Space Edition [12th,14C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win11 22H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@master_axe_1)

Posted by: @omegamalkior

@wildfear, FWIW I can't replicate @omegamalkior's results. Granted I haven't tested much at all, but my Yoga 9i (16GB and OLED) is stuck on 38W PL1 (long term turbo). I'm on the newest BIOS, too. I guess I could up PL1 in XTU, throttlestop won't apply changes. 38W has me at 78-80°C already though, so I doubt I could push another 26W. (used Prime95 for consistency)

I'll repaste sometime soon, when I get around to it. If the heatsink is copper, I'll use LM.

That's rather odd. It shows in Throttlestop that the limit reason is PL1? And you're sure you have Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits checked in FIVR? You might have not have that checked cuz that's the only reason why it wouldn't be working for you. Make sure you have set Sync MMIO in the TPL menu and hit on lock after you've seen it synced. Where did you get your OLED model btw? I assume you're from the EU since in the US it's not available here yet. And just making sure, the BIOS update is from April 8th, so if you see anything related to VR CURRENT limits then double check if you're up to date or not, cuz Just Josh had thought he was on the latest in his 9i gen 7 review but he double checked after uploading and he was not on it. 

and you can most probably push another 26w since we have the same temps running at 38w (around 80 C) which is the same almost as my video showing it. But yeah, gotta work on Throttlestop first

Make sure you're also using the Performance profile in Lenovo Vantage/those 1 click function keys as well along side either High Performance mode in Throttlestop or Best Performance in Windows 11 battery settings menu as well.

Edit: I attach my Throttlestop.ini file to see if it helps 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/p87ymnqacy935zv/ThrottleStop.ini/file

Yeah, I am in EU, it was the only model I could buy here. Me and two others I heard from on reddit with the same model, have a high pitched sound in the fans, though. Not very bothersome, but there regardless.

So I got my computer stuff over the weekend and got to work today. First I replaced the paste with LM. I started with very little, and always added some with the qtip until I confirmed full coverage (by taking off the heatsink again). I used nail polish around the CPU, but these alder lake CPUs seem to have a metal ring around them, this ring touches the heatsink I think (spacer?). I had some nail polish on it, which then ended up on the heatsink. pic of heatsink & cpu.

Running Prime95 (smallest) on 38W it went from around 77°C Package and 69°C Core to ~ 68-70°C Package and 66°C Core. I wasn't being very scientific, just a 5 min run to confirm improvement. Never hit 100°C on 64W, maxes at low 90s b4 it throttles to PL1. Since to confirm full coverage of the die I had to take off the heatsink again, moving the LM around reduced temps by 2°C- so there's probably some temps left on the table, still. No need for this though, I'll get to that in a moment.

I then downloaded the newest version of throttlestop and did as you said, now only "Sync MMIO" (no more option to lock?), and then set a new PL1. This actually worked, and I quickly increased PL1. The laptop can handle 51W for about 15 minutes, at which point the VRMs thermal throttle. This happens within a few minutes at 52W. Package temp pings between 85°C and 87°C at this point. In this hot state I cannot reach PL2 anymore, I get VR Current (only when very hot already), which throttles to 62W, so idc. From cold I can run 55W up to about 93°C Package before the VRMs throttle.

I guess the laptop might be able to sustain 55W+ if quality thermal pads actually make a difference. Unfortunately I know very little about thermal pads. Since I'm now using LM I'll have to redo this again anyways, so I'm willing to try in the future (months). Will have to look into better thermal pads until then. I assume I need to replace the thin long thermal strip, not the 4 thick pads? Edit: Looked into pads, seems they do indeed make a difference. Unfortunately I didn't check the pad thickness :/. 

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OmegaMalkior
(@omegamalkior)
Eminent Member

@master_axe_1, good to know that you surpassed PL1 limits. I hadn't repasted my 9i since I'm going to send it back for an Asus Zenbook 14X Space Edition with an i9-12900H (will post build soon, looks mad promising) but with a stand that had a little fan beneath it completely silent that stabilized temps by a lot. I had tried benchmarks without the fan beneath the stand and results didn't vary too much tho but it helps. Also, make sure to set the PROCHOT OFFSET to either 2 or 3 if you get BD PROCHOT slowing down the laptop. I had mentioned it in a previous comment that at 100 C BD PROCHOT activates which I assume is the VRM you mentioned. 

2022 14" ASUS ZenBook 14X Space Edition [12th,14C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win11 22H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@master_axe_1)

@omegamalkior, Wow can't wait to see your Zenbook build. 45-115W is way too much for me though, I'm thinking 50W is already too much. Curious to see how a Zenbook handles an i9 like that.

Yeah I could use an extra little fan, but I'm not sure I need to, I won't really ever need the performance (would've gotten a U series if they were available).

Hm I didn't see BD PROCHOT triggering (i.e. "processor hot"). Like I said, it won't reach 100°C, which was when BD PROCHOT would trigger (fwiw I've only ever seen BD PROCHOT used for 100°C thermal throttling). Throttlestop was outright telling me, in red, "VRM Thermals". After sleeping on it I'll leave it as is, I don't need the performance anyways.

Thanks for your help and good luck with the Zenbook!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
OmegaMalkior
(@omegamalkior)
Eminent Member

@omegamalkior, Wow can't wait to see your Zenbook build. 45-115W is way too much for me though, I'm thinking 50W is already too much. Curious to see how a Zenbook handles an i9 like that.

Yeah I could use an extra little fan, but I'm not sure I need to, I won't really ever need the performance (would've gotten a U series if they were available).

Hm I didn't see BD PROCHOT triggering (i.e. "processor hot"). Like I said, it won't reach 100°C, which was when BD PROCHOT would trigger (fwiw I've only ever seen BD PROCHOT used for 100°C thermal throttling). Throttlestop was outright telling me, in red, "VRM Thermals". After sleeping on it I'll leave it as is, I don't need the performance anyways.

Thanks for your help and good luck with the Zenbook!

It doesn't realistically sustain anything above 55w for long but the short boosts to 60w is welcome for daily browsing from time to time. With my turbo laptop cooler it can hit 72w sustained without much issue, but still haven't met a game that required that high wattage tbh. 
I definitely don't know why you got VRM throttling when I didn't. Pretty weird tbh. Wonder if my VRMs have thermal pads and maybe yours don't? Really don't know since I didn't open up mine personally. Just got that opened pic from a website. 

ReplyQuote
Kirill Karpenko
(@kirill_karpenko)

It's interesting to see the benchmark differences between 3070 and 2080 Ti. I was considering RTX 3070 but went with 2080ti because in-game performance was about the same when you look at some of the comparisons in youtube, yet Benchmark scores are quite different and in favor of the 3070

2021 14" Dell Latitude 5421 [11th,6C,H) + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  3