Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1650 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win...

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1650 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 [HKPiax]  

RSS

HKPiax
(@hkpiax)

IMG 8823 2

System specs:

• Macbook Pro 13" with touchbar (late 2018)
  • CPU - 2,3 GHz Intel i5 (8259U)
  • iGPU - Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
  • RAM - 8GB LPDDR3 at 2133MHz
  • Windows 10 version 1903

eGPU hardware:

Installation steps:

To install the GPU in the encolsure it's very simple.
I have to justify the 120W adapter though: the adapter the Node Lite comes with doesn't output enough Watts (around 72W) that are not enough for the 1650, which has a TDP of 75W minimum (which means it will require more if under load). So I needed a more powerful power adapter, and 120W is the right choice.
This way, when plugged in, the GPU will have enough power to operate, and the MBP will receive just a little charging power, not enough to sustain itself (it will discharge, just a bit slower). You will need to plug in the MBP's original power adapter at the same time.

IMG 8822 2

Benchmarks:

Not yet thoroughly tested. I can say though, that under "load" (World of Warships and War Thunder) the eGPU reaches up to 80°C and ~70W of consumption, while the CPU gets a bit hotter (65°C+). These temperatures might be too high, but I honestly don't know. I will probably swap this setup for an Akitio Node + 1660/1660Ti to see if it works (and maybe stays cooler) and will report in another post.

EDIT: I did some testing with HWInfo running while doing the Uningine Heaven test (VSync was enabled and it was running full screen).

Comments:

At first I wanted to follow the "Step-by-step guide" for NVIDIA and AMD eGPUs, so that is where i started from.
What I did to make it work is:

1. Boot on Win10 in bootcamp and wait for it to load
  2. Download the NVIDIA 1650 drivers from the NVIDIA website
  3. Hot-plug the eGPU, the system will freeze for a couple of seconds while emitting the typical sounds of recognized device + removed device
  4. Differently from the guide though, in "Device Manager" under "Display adapters", only "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" would show up, with the yellow triangle. No amount of time would make the card name show up
  5. With the eGPU already plugged in but not recognized, start installing the NVIDIA drivers, and complete the operation
  6. The card will now appear. I don't remember if it still had the yellow triangle or not, but just uninstall it (without removing the drivers, just like the guide says on step C7), unplug it, restart Windows.
  7. With Win10 rebooted and the eGPU unplugged, you can now hot-plug it, wait for the recognized device + removed device + removed device + recognized device sounds (yes, twice each and in this order) and you'll receive the notification that the 1650 is recognized and ready to be used

I didn't need to go into settings to have the eGPU to start computing, it would just do it when I launched a game (I need to specify that my settings for when the PC is charging is "performance", this might explain it).

Probably my step n.6 is somewhat redundant or useless, but I don't have enough technical knowledge to know it. What I know is that, by doing this, the thing works and I'm happy.

Hopefully my experience helps someone, and maybe the really skilled people could comment on this and help me and others some more!

PS: I do apologize if some sentences sound weird, my primary language is not english.

UPDATE: switched to an Akitio Node + 1660ti and it works just as easily, if even better.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Macbook Pro 13” + 2,3GHz i5 (4 cores) + touchbar (late 2018)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Cheers for sharing this build! Its one I am considering myself as currently have a 560 in a Node lite and after a bit more power.
Would love to see some benchmarks and some pics - do you play PUBG at all?

You shouldn't really need step 6, hot plugging your egpu on the Windows logo should be enough... I think... 

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
HKPiax
(@hkpiax)

Sorry, I don't play PUBG, however I managed to do some benchmarks in Uningine's Heaven while running HWInfo: HWInfo + Uningine test (VSyinc was active, and it was full screen).
I'll add these info + some pictures of the setup to the main post!

Macbook Pro 13” + 2,3GHz i5 (4 cores) + touchbar (late 2018)

ReplyQuote