2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [DeNachtwacht]  

of  4
  RSS

DeNachtwacht
(@denachtwacht)
Eminent Member

Hi guys, I thought I made a post about my experiences with my Macbook Pro so far. After quite some puzzling, it is all workable now so maybe I can help someone here with setting it up.

System specs

- Macbook Pro 2018 Touch Bar 13,3" with i5 (8259U) processor, 256 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris 655 iGPU
- macOS 10.13.6 and Windows 10 through Boot Camp
- AOS AG271UG 4K monitor with G-sync

eGPU hardware
Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080

Installation steps

MacOS 10.13 / 10.14
Under 10.14 (Mojave)
Unfortunately, Apple does not support NVIDIA anymore. I can't get it to work anymore.

How to get Boot Camp working with Windows 10
Under Windows 10 version 1903 it works quite well, except for som strict rules that you always have to follow:
- NEVER add or remove attached USB devices from the eGPU if the macbook is running.
- ALWAYS leave the eGPU out when booting (or rebooting) Windows. Plug it in exactly after the Apple logo disappears and within the first second when seeing the Windows logo. Waiting longer than this will cause a non-working G-sync.

Step-by-step installation:
0. don't connect any usb devices, certainly not the eGPU

1. Go to Windows Configuration screen; Energy Settings and edit the Energy Schedule. Go to Advanced energy settings, USB Settings, selective USB, and disable both battery and net power here.
2. Make sure everything is completely updated (windows update & windows store)
2. Completely turn off your machine. Connect the Gaming Box to your external monitor and restart the pc; plug the thunderbolt cable from the Aorus the first second you see the windows logo.
3. Let the system automatically detect the nvidia egpu and install the drivers.
4. Reboot the system (unplug GPU when its off and plugin @ windows logo!) and go to device manager, go to your graphics card, right click to download the most recent Windows Update drivers. When finished, reboot again.
5. You should then be able to activate g-sync in the nvidia configuration screen.

Benchmarks
With games, my experiences are as follows:
PUBG @4K, all ultra, shadows very low, foliage 80, without antialiasing: around 60FPS
Tomb Raider 2013 @4K, everything ultra, antialiasing turned off: benchmark 61.9FSP average
Civilization VI @4K, everything ultra: 59 FPS steady

I ran two benchmarks, Unigine Superposition @4k and @1440p. The results are as follows:

1440p superposition
4K superposition

Until this far, I am not disappointed at all. I expected to game @1440p but until now, 4K runs fine even in demanding titles. Even the benchmark runs at acceptable framerates at 4K. When comparing online, a desktop GTX 1080 will get 7500 maximum, so my score of 6000 is in line with expectations: 20% lower then the desktop. Let's hope future Thunderbolt 3 / Apple drivers will speed this up a little bit, say to 10% less then a desktop and thus full 4K gaming at 60FPS without compromise. Then I would be really satisfied.

Comments & known bugs
To summarize, already a playable and beautiful experience but we're not there yet. Apple /  Intel Boot Camp drivers are just recently released for the Macbook Pro 2018 but still have some issues
- Nvidia G-Sync only works when you put in the Thunderbolt the millisecond the Windows logo appears!
- unplugging and plugging your eGPU in the system has to be done precisely
- plugging in or plugging out usb-c periphals causes your macOS or Windows 10 Boot Camp setup to crash immediately. Solution; plug in everything you need when the system is powered-off.

As you see this setup seems to work quite out of the box without much difficulty, as long as you follow certain steps. Let's hope Apple and Intel will fix these issues soon with new drivers.

Thanks for sharing your experiences or questions here!

This topic was modified 10 months ago
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_kievits_elertan)

I have a similar setup to yours @DeNachtWacht, I'm using the MacBook Pro 2018 15" i9 32GB 1TB paired with a Razer Core X that holds a GTX 1080, everything works fine except for a few things, on bootcamp I'm having issues with the pheriperals I have connected via a HyperDrive ( https://www.hypershop.com/collections/usb-type-c/products/hyperdrive-slim-usb-c-hub-for-macbook-ultrabook-chromebook-pc-usb-c-devices). I have made a post on this forum regarding the issue, but it seems that it shares the bandwidth with the eGPU which causes huge performance drops on usage of the connected keyboard/mouse. I have tried to connect the HyperDrive on the other side of the device, so that it doesn't share the bandwidth, however my MacBook's internal screen just stays black and the connected monitors don't get any signal. I'll definitely try the USB power options 'fix' you shared on here, to see if that resolves things.

And on Mac OS I get a really awful performance with the eGPU setup, and it's being caused by Chromium based applications, take a look at  https://github.com/learex/macOS-eGPU/issues/18 . So this renders my eGPU setup useless for now 🙁 . I hope I can figure it out soon!

Here's the other post I made  https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/performance-issue-using-hyperdock-for-keyboard-and-mouse-whilst-using-the-razer-core-x-gtx-1080-macbook-pro-2018-15inch-i9-32gb-1tb-on-windows-10-pro-bootcamp/#post-41034

If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_kievits_elertan)

1. adding USB periphals crashes because of Energy settings. Go to Energy Settings and edit the schedule. Go to advanced energy settings, USB Settings, selective USB, and disable both battery and net power here.
2. Connect the gaming box to power supply and to your external monitor. completely turn off your machine. restart the pc and turn in the thunderbolt cable from the Aorus the moment you see the windows logo. You always have to connect the Gaming Box this way; connecting it when powered off causes errors with the integrated Intel 655 graphics card, and hotplugging it while in windows causes your PC to chrash.

Btw, I tested this, updated the energy settings and plugged in the cable after the Windows logo appeared, and now my setup works : ). Really happy! Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DeNachtwacht
(@denachtwacht)
Eminent Member

No problem! Hope someone finds a fix on how to use the Macbook Pro screen with the 1080... I bought this enclosure because it's portable so I hope I'll be able to play at a friend soon Smile

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@denachtwacht rEFInd will help you keep the iGPU activated during Windows booting process and allow internal display acceleration with the eGPU. If you'd like to give it a try, read my step-by-step procedure. In that post I disabled a Thunderbolt 3 controller to resolve error 12 for AMD eGPU. You don't need to do that for Nvidia eGPU. Simply install rEFInd, mount the EFI partition then enable spoof_osx_version 10.9.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DeNachtwacht
(@denachtwacht)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the reply. But for now, I don't need the internal monitor to work in Boot Camp and am afraid these scripts will break when a new NVIDIA driver or Windows Update arrives. Besides that the next month I am on holidays so I don't need the macbook a lot until Mojave arrives. I really hope there are some eGPU surprises in the pipeline for the Apple September Keynote.

So I'll just wait for Apple and NVIDIA to update their Boot Camp Thunderbolt and GPU drivers for now. If it doesn't get fixed, I'll start playing with these scripts.

ReplyQuote
droidfu
(@droidfu)

I have almost same setup as you, but bootcamp not able to detect my gaming box.

My device:
Mid 2018 13" Macbook Pro Touch Bar i7 + 16GB + 512GB
Aorus Gaming Box 1080.

Software:
macOS 10.13.6
Windows10 ver. 1803

I do the same as you do, the gaming box is lighting on after bootup, but I'm not able to find the GPU device from 'Device Manager', and when Install GPU driver it says not compatible hardware existed and not able to install. Which port did you connect your gaming box? I tried each one, no one is working.

Should I disable something or try the DSDT override? BTW, I'm able to detect gaming box at macOS.

ReplyQuote
DeNachtwacht
(@denachtwacht)
Eminent Member

My card also doesn’t show up in device manager. But other than that it works perfectly.

Some tips:
- The most important thing is to remove all USB devices from both the eGPU and the other 3 ports when installing the eGPU. Did you do this?
- did you correctly install all Apple Boot Camp drivers and update them using Apple software updater in Windows?
- your eGPU should be disconnected the moment you hit the power button of your Mac when booting to Boot Camp Windows 10. Hold the cable close to the Thunderbolt port and plug it in right at the moment the Apple logo switches to the Windows logo. You have to do this every time the MacBook boots to Windows. See more details in my description above.

ReplyQuote
droidfu
(@droidfu)

Thanks for the tips, I actually did every same detail as you do, it still not working. Cry
The GTX1080 device should at least shows in the 'Device Manager' - 'Display adapters'.

I tried an old version of windows, build 1703, it's able to detect eGPU, but I meet error12 and not able to adjust brightness of the screen.
I'll try more...

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

I had a 2017 15` mbp that simply wouldn't recognize the thunderbolt 3 devices on windows bootcamp. I had to get it to Apple care and they changed the logic board. Not saying its your case, but you can try this.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  4