2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 1903 [DeNachtwacht]  

of  4
  RSS

Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Ningauble77

I don't have direct experience with the i5, but from what I've seen in benchmarks, the $300 upcharge is a bit much, and really dependent on your use case.  Under full load, i.e. video encoding, 3d rendering, heavy heavy multitasking, the 2 chips are very close in performance.  For most gaming, because they only fully load 1-2 cores, the i7 can turbo quite a bit higher and might be worth it.  All the games I listed above hover around 4-4.1ghz which is probably 400 MHz higher than you would see on the i5.  As games become more cpu intensive (something like Civ VI maybe?) the performance difference shrinks.  Also should be faster/more responsive for light usage like web browsing, tho I am not sure how much this would be noticeable.

For me, the mmo games I typically play tend to be poorly multithreaded but CPU frequency sensitive, and I guess it's kinda worth it.  In fact  framerates are often 10-20 percent higher than they were on my prior 6700HQ equipped 15" which maxxed out at about 3.1ghz regardless of how many cpu cores were used.

Here's my dilemma…

I have the opportunity to pick up a 2018 13" 2.3/16gb/1TB for $2,000 shipped.

This would make getting the 2.7 more than $300 even on the used market. I like the storage of 1TB and if the 2.3 wont drag too far behind, I guess it would be a good tradeoff.

Currently, I have a maxed out X1 Carbon 6th gen. This little sucker works really well with eGPUs and the clocks are well above between 3-3.5 when gaming.

I don't understand the 28w in the MBP vs the 15w in the X1. The X1 can maintain its clocks. So, what does the 28w chip do better than the 15w?

If it weren't for OSX, I would be not even thinking of ditching the Carbon. In my opinion, its the best option on the market for PC's and the keyboard is KILLER!

The latest X1 is exactly what I always wanted my Sony Vaio SVZ13 to be. Too bad it had to use lightpeak for that external dock of theirs back then. Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

I have similar  MBP model and eGPU.

You have actually 1 more option for booting, Load windows normally and plugin eGPU after 10-15s after desktop loaded.

My issue though if you guys encounter random restarts just after windows desktop loaded let me know and pls reply on your fixed if you encounter such occurrence.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

Posted by: rvyne

I have similar  MBP model and eGPU.

You have actually 1 more option for booting, Load windows normally and plugin eGPU after 10-15s after desktop loaded.

My issue though if you guys encounter random restarts just after windows desktop loaded let me know and pls reply on your fixed if you encounter such occurrence.

Hello,

As soon as the windows dial starts to turn when loading up, that’s when I plug in the eGPU.

I have had issues doing it later in the sequence or after booting.

Make sure your using the top right port.

ReplyQuote
rvyne
(@rvyne)
Eminent Member

that's normal hot plugging I do.. the 2nd option just new discovery I made recently

Anyways might try your suggestion using top-right port coz I been using left-bottom port (coz more convenient on my setup) at the moment.

ReplyQuote
 of  4