Setup & Software Discussions
2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer ...

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.4 [Netcho]  

RSS

Netcho
(@netcho)

System specs:

MacBook Pro Mid 2015, 2.5Ghz
Intel Iris Pro
Radeon R9 M370X
macOS Mojave 10.14.4
30" Apple Cinema Display connected to the Dual DVI port on the back of the Vega 56.
I am using internal monitor of the laptop and external 30".

Info

eGPU hardware

Razor X, Asus Strix Radeon Vega 56 ROG Gaming 8GB OC
Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable
Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter

Hardware pictures:
Sorry for the dark image but the eGPU sits in much darker area.

build

Installation steps:
1. Disable system protection by going to Recovery partition
2. Download and install the purge wrangle script
3. Restart
4. That is all on macOS.
5. Virtual machines like VMWare utilize this video card and since I use Windows for work only I am totally fine using it like this.
... Have not tested what will happen if I enable System Protection but soon I will.
30" Monitor is connected directly to the Dual DVI port on the card.

Benchmarks: See images bellow.

Comments: Overall I am extremely satisfied with the setup. Too early to say about crashes since it has been just a day since I added the eGPU but so far no crashes. All apps utilize the eGPU. All my important apps use it too so I am happy with it. FCP times are hugely improved, Blender times also. Everything is about 3-4 times faster now and the more load I put on it the bigger the gap becomes with the build in Radeon R9 M370X. No issues with sleep so far.

The only two issues I have seen are:
1. Blender does not work with the card while in Render Viewport mode but this I think is a software issue which I will be reporting soon.
2. My 30" Apple Cinema Display exhibits some strange green dots distortion issue every time I wake the machine. See picture bellow. I have to unplug the cable from the card port and plug it back in in order to fix this annoying issue. Anybody experience this? See picture:
Green dots issue / glitch

issue 30%22 monitor

FCP Bruce 5k export to ProRes 4444QX

FCP 4444QX Vega 56
FCP 4444QX

Heaven with M370X and Vega 56

Heaven eGPU
Heaven M370X

Valley with M370X and Vega 56

Valley M370x
Valley eGPU

This topic was modified 2 months ago

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Disabling SIP while patches are in use may cause boot issues (one boot would be fine, but next will likely fail). Script documentation mentions keeping SIP disabled at all times patch is active.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

Thanks for mentioning this. I guess I will leave the protection alone.

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

Update: I noticed that the PSU on the Razor, while extremely quite, does not shuts off when computer sleeps. Maybe Razor can update this.

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

Update 2: loading the card with Valley Extreme HD test widens the gap:
- Vega 56: 56 fps
- Build In Radeon R9 M370X: 11 fps

Windows install: since my Vega is ROG version it comes with very annoying for me LED lights. That can only be turned off in Windows machine/boot. So I installed a tryout windows 10 but end up with Error 12 for the driver and did not wanted to mess with the EFI so I will plug it into a Windows desktop to stop the lights. Otherwise installation on Windows on Mac was straight forward:

1. Install Windows 
2. Install boot amp drivers
3. Download drivers and from Device Manager find the second card which is MS Generic adapter but this is your Vega. Choose manual install and point it to your driver directory. Keep in mind if you use ATI drivers they come in install package so run it and finish the install with it. It will say it did not find any ATI cards. That is fine. It expands the content into your C:\AMD folder. Go back to device manager and point it to that folder. 
4. Next you have to deal with the EFI where I stopped.

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

30” Apple Cinema Display Monitor Update: in order not to have these green distortions after wake up the monitor needs to wake up last which would mean you will have to do the following:

0. Let’s imagine your Mac is sleeping already. 
1. Press the power button on the display to turn it off. This will turn off the LED indicator. 
2. Wake your Mac. 
3. Wait 1-2 sec and after you see your Mac laptop screen on power on the monitor by pressing the button

That is all.

ReplyQuote
manuu
(@manuu)

Hi @netcho,

I have the same config as you. I was wondering if your GPU also has that insane coil whining?

Best Manu

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

Under heavy load like GPU testing I can hear some noise from the eGPU. Given the fact that I rarely use the GPU at max it does not bother me. I do not game with is so in work environment I do not notice it.

ReplyQuote
MorphoV
(@morphov)

Hi @netcho,
I'm about to build about the same setup with the same laptop as soon as I receive the parts.

Did you disable system protection for any particular reason? If I understood correctly,  it's only necessary for troubleshooting.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

I did in the beginning but it does not seems to interfere if it is ON. Mine is on right now and I have no issue booting.

Screen Shot 2019 07 06 at 14.01.40

ReplyQuote
MorphoV
(@morphov)

OK, thanks, I'll leave it ON, then.
Do you happen to know if Davinci will have better playback and rendering time if I connect my external monitors to the M370X or the eGPU?

ReplyQuote