2015 17" Acer V17 Nitro Black GTX960M (VN7-792G) + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [tunatoro]^ // 20Gbps vs 40Gbps TB3 cable
17" Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition, i7-6700HQ+GTX960M TB3 (VN7-792G)
Akitio Node* + EVGA GTX 1070
* I upgraded to the latest Akitio Node already as of April 6.
1. Hot plugin the akitio node. The system might tells you it is not supported but do not mind that.
2. Install the latest thunderbolt software and akitio node firmware.
3. Disable the dGPU in my case is the NVIDIA 960M.
4. "go to Device Manager->View->Devices by connection. Find the dGPU then disable the PCIe port above it after which the dGPU will disappear. Reboot and benchmark again. If still on the low side then remove all NVidia and Intel GPU drivers, reinstall and test benchmark again." by nando4.
5. You are ready to go.
Acer Nitro Black is great value
PS: Guys, forget about all those expensive laptops out there. Come on! acer aspire V17 is the real deal! Such cheap price (I bought it on amazon for 1150USD) you get 17 inch screen, i7 quad core CPU, 16 GB ram, and 250 SSD with 1TB hard drive. I am surprised that I have never seen people implement this method to an Acer here (Maybe I just did not find one!). I recommend you my setup, cheap and ready to rock.
With a 40Gbps TB3 cable I am getting full CUDA-Z H2D 2060.16MiB/s performance
With a 20Gbps TB3 cable (2m) was getting reduced performance, CUDA-Z H2D 1557.88MiB/s
Is the result satisfying? I am not good at distinguish the performance as long as I can play game at high setting for 50+ fps. Haha
Nice photos! I'm afraid the CUDA-Z reveals your Acer V17 Nitro Black may be routing Thunderbolt 3 with x2 PCIe bandwidth. Or perhaps it's the Thunderbolt 3 cable (looks like a 2m one). Please download and run HWiNFO.
Your CUDA-Z 1557.88MiB/s host-to-device number is lower than expected. See this explanatory thread:
The Acer Nitro Black series are indeed one of the better value TB3 PC candidate systems.
I purchased this cable. I upgraded to the latest Akitio Node already as of April 6.
EDIT: Okay guys I ordered a new cable with 40Gbs. It should be arriving tomorrow. I will post new results tomorrow. Will change it from 20 to 40Gbs greatly improve the performance? Can't wait to test it out.
Glad to see it works fine with acer product because I've acer predator 17