2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.2 [itsage]  

of  6
  RSS

Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

That is awesome. It means people with TB2 Macs can use the self-contained Node for their eGPU needs without any additional modding. That is great news.

It is also damn ironic that it is easier to get a TB2 Mac to work with it than a TB3 Mac. What? 🙁

EDIT: I missed the point where it works with the 2016 as well. Ooops.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 14" Lenovo Thinkpad T430s [3rd,2C,M] + RX 550 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
mdr1a
(@mdr1a)

That is awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing this amazing information!

So Node works with Apple older TB2 devices in macOS, how about bootcamp? 2016 model with TB3 works well in bootcamp windows, maybe older devices as well?

I can't wait to use Node with MacBook Pro 2015.

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 970 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.2 & Win10 [build link]  

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: mdr1a

That is awesome!!!! Thanks for sharing this amazing information!

So Node works with Apple older TB2 devices in macOS, how about bootcamp? 2016 model with TB3 works well in bootcamp windows, maybe older devices as well?

I can't wait to use Node with MacBook Pro 2015.   

I've been able to run the 2015 11" MacBook Air in Windows 10 with the AKiTiO Thunder3 via the Apple TB3 <--> TB2 adapter. It should work the same way with the Node. Depending on your Mac and GPU, you may need to do DSDT Override to fix error 12.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
padax
(@padax)

Hello,

is it possible to run the Node on internal Display ? MBPR 13 from 2013 ? Tb2- Tb3 Adapter

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: padax

Hello,

is it possible to run the Node on internal Display ? MBPR 13 from 2013 ? Tb2- Tb3 Adapter

Windows: YES, by using apple_set_os.efi to activate the iGPU needed for internal mode. See here.
macOS: YES, via fake external LCD. See here.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
padax
(@padax)

Thank you nando4. Can this be applied to imac 21" TB2 with use in internal screen too?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: padax

Thank you nando4. Can this be applied to imac 21" TB2 with use in internal screen too?

For macOS, yes. For Windows, pls try it now and see if a Intel HD iGPU drives the internal LCD.  If yes, then NVidia Optimus can activate with a working eGPU.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
padax
(@padax)

Okay I will report back as soon as I receive the Node. If I am going to buy the tbMBP do I have to apply the steps from above too or is it "plug n play" ?

ReplyQuote
Mark
 Mark
(@mark)
Eminent Member

Have you tried playing 4k video on the 13"? Did you get any lags or horrible frame rates whatsoever?

2016 13" MBP with Touch Bar
Sonnet III-D modified with Sonnet SE1 TB3 Upgrade Card and 600W PSU
MSI RX Vega 56 Air Boost OC
OS X 10.12.4

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: Mark

Have you tried playing 4k video on the 13"? Did you get any lags or horrible frame rates whatsoever?

I will try this weekend. Do you have a particular source for 4K video? I prefer to download it first then play off the drive.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  6