Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) ...

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP450) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 980 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.12.2 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@ArtHackett it's a no go with 5k display. From what I understand, Apple pairs 2 DisplayPort connections to utilize a 5k display.

You can use an Nvidia card with Mac OS 10.10 and 10.11. One of the most affordable eGPU setup for you would be AKiTiO Thunder2 ($220) + Dell DA-2 ($25) + custom power cables ($20) + GTX 970 (sub $200). 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ArtHackett
(@arthackett)

Many thanks Mr Sage. Does this mean one or two 4K displays are possible with this config? I'm really hoping to my improve my display clarity as using retina iOS devices for years now makes looking at old school screens frustrating and the screen real estate available on the 15" mbp feels claustrophobic. I know they can simulate 1920x1200 but that compromises the vision quality and the non upgradable path being followed severely irritates me, although I've been contemplating the 2015 mbp that can supposedly run a 5K (very expensive internal drives though and external drives compromise portability, as does and eGPU of course). 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rmus
 rmus
(@rmus)

@itsage: Did you encounter any issues with the GTC 980 TI that needs as per spec a 600W PSU while the AKiTiO Node has "only" a 400W one?

I'm planning to buy exactly this combination for my MBP Retina 13" from Mid2014. The intention is to use it with the new X-Plane 11 on a 34" Philips screen.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

The GTX980Ti does not need a 600W PSU. A system with a GTX980Ti is recommended to have a 600W PSU. The card itself is not even close to consuming 600W, or even 400W. 300W of 12v power is sufficient to power a GTX980Ti, with a safety margin included. As a result, the Node can easily power a GTX980Ti.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
rmus
 rmus
(@rmus)

Thx for the quick response, this and the work of the forum is really appreciated!

ReplyQuote
Natasha
(@natasha)
Eminent Member

Author, could you please make a full video guide, how you setup Node + Mac and Node + Win. Not only 30 sec.... It will be really helpfully for all. Cause its too much different information in forum. Many thanks from all community.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Posted by: Natasha

Author, could you please make a full video guide, how you setup Node + Mac and Node + Win. Not only 30 sec.... It will be really helpfully for all. Cause its too much different information in forum. Many thanks from all community.

Hi @natasha, I don't think there is a simple answer to your question because it depends on your exact system. For setup on a Mac, it seems that setup is generally trivial using @goalque's excellent automate_gpu script (see here). For Windows, depending on your host system, graphics card and apparently Windows version it can be a lot more complicated. Here's how I did it for my MBP in Win 10 bootcamp, a lot of effort.

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Hi @natasha, I don't think there is a simple answer to your question because it depends on your exact system. For setup on a Mac, it seems that setup is generally trivial using @goalque's excellent automate_gpu script (see here). For Windows, depending on your host system, graphics card and apparently Windows version it can be a lot more complicated. Here's how I did it for my MBP in Win 10 bootcamp, a lot of effort.

late-2017 27" iMac Pro RPVega64 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + MacOS 10.13.2
late-2014 27" iMac 5k R9 M295X + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Natasha
(@natasha)
Eminent Member

Posted by: DANgerous25

I read a lot of sheets, but it really useless to see 30 sec of video, talking to us -  'yes, its work'. But reading tons of information on forum, I understand, thats there are a lot of thing, that I should to do by myself. Thats I am thinking about - it will be more useful. I know - u understand me. 

I saw your article. And its really wild for me to see, that simple users need to do a lot to make this Node/Thunder etc work. Not only. plug&play. Thats totally wrong. 

ReplyQuote
reptilianbrain
(@reptilianbrain)
Trusted Member

So this would work with the late 2013 15" mac? No problem if it has GT750M ? 

And since it has 400W supply it can even support 1080Ti ? 

Dimensions-wise it's long enough for any card? 

MBP 2013 750M + Akitio [email protected]GTX1080 (Zotac Mini)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

Regarding the use of external monitors for eGPU setups on macOS, I was wondering if I HAVE to plug in my external monitors into the eGPU directly. Is it possible, for example, to connect one of my external monitors to the GPU via HDMI, and the other to the mac's unoccupied TB2 port - and have acceleration on both?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
laserbyte
(@laserbyte)

Have you tried the MBP 17″ with macOS High Sierra yet?

CarolDsn liked
ReplyQuote
CarolDsn
(@caroldsn)

I have MBP mid 2017 with High Sierra, I was waiting for Akitio T3T arrive home, cuz i have akitio thunder2 (I used it with my old MBP2013 thunderbolt2) the problem I have is, I try to akitio thunder 2+t3t recognize by MBP 2017, but nothing happen 

so what I did was, open terminal using csrutil disable, and then use terminal again to instal ndivia driver which recognized my egpu but after restart my computer nothing happen it didn´t recognize my egpu 

my question, do I have do another step or what do you think what´s happening 

thank you and sorry for the long message 

ReplyQuote
piero
(@piero)

Hi all and first of all thanks for this fantastic and very helpful forum.

I'm near to buy an external case (node or node pro probably) and I have only two questions: in the video (when you use the internal macbook display) there are two tb2 port in use.

Are two tb ports necessary in order to use the internal display or I can do the same with only one old tb1 port (on my 2011 MacBook Pro 17")?

My goal is use the external GPU for video editing (OS X) and gaming (Win and OS X) in particular in the same display.

Thanks again for the help

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)

OMG...

After upgrading macOS 10.13.2 on my 2014 mid Macbook Pro, the node+RX 580 doesn’t work anymore.

The macbook could still detect the egpu and R9xxx,but the whole computer just went extremely freezing slow.

Does it have anything to do with the TB3-TB2 adapter?

mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS
2012 13‘’ & 15‘’ non-retina Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB adapter) + MacOS

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

There are changes to RX graphics card drivers in 10.13.2 that cause various issues. Do you have Time Machine backup to roll back?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
SheldonTung
(@sheldontung)

ReplyQuote
 of  2