2013 14" Alienware 14 GTX765M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [Steven_Villain]^  

RSS

Steven_Villain
(@steven_villain)
August 9, 2017 12:48 pm  
Thanks to Nando's help, finally I got my eGPU work! It is amazing that my Alienware revived like a beast. So I just want to share my experience and hopefully it can help others. 
Here is the basic info of the system I am working on:
iGPU: Intel HD4600
dGPU: GTX 765M
eGPU: GTX 970
Driver version: 384.76
BIOS: Unlocked and PCI-e hot plug enabled

Method
Step 1. Disabled dGPU in Device Manager, put Windows into Sleep mode, turned on eGPU, woke up Windows---> eGPU detected with error 12
Step 2. Disabled PCI Express Root Port where my dGPU lives--> eGPU detected and worked properly.

Concerns/Issues
1. The above method does not always work. Sometimes it will lead to BSOD( IRQL not less or equal ERROR), sometimes it will just freeze Windows without any message. Any idea why is that and how to solve it?
2. If I disable PCI Express Root Port(where my dGPU lives) first, then do the sleep/wake trick, the eGPU detected but with error 43( I tried different drivers, all do the same thing). Any ideas why?
3. If I boot system with eGPU turned on, system will remain black screen. I tried different ways: Delay switch on EXP GDC, Isolate Pin #22. Neither way works. Do you know if there is other way to handle it?

Next step
1. Try change Primary Display to PEG, right now it is set to IGFX
2. Maybe you can suggest 🙂

PS: I am using Internal screen....

Anyway, it worked fine last night. Really enjoyed not only the gaming but also the process of making it work.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
August 9, 2017 4:39 pm  

@Steven_Villain do not change to PEG or you'll end up with black screen and you'll have to take your laptop apart to remove the CMOS battery (i learned that the hard way trust me).PEG is only present on desktop PC's.Keep IGFX(optimus works at it's best with it).Avoid messing with GRAPHICS OPTIONS if at all possible!!!

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
Kishku
(@kishku)
November 26, 2017 2:08 pm  

Hi Steven, were you able to figure anything out with your issue(s)?  I'm interested in getting an eGPU to work on my alienware 14 as well--there doesn't seem to be any compatible eGPU's available... which eGPU did you use?  Thanks, friend!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Moramor
(@moramor)
January 9, 2018 4:15 pm  

I'm upping the subject, which type of egpu adapter did you use ?

ReplyQuote
Moramor
(@moramor)
February 24, 2018 9:43 pm  

Hey Steven,

I have the exact same configuration as you but I've been struggling for several days. I would really love to have more information about your bios mod and what's your configuration in the setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
EnDLesS
(@endless)
June 28, 2018 12:45 pm  

Hey Steven, Could you please help making it work for me too?

I got a M14x R1 with GT555 and a 8.5c version of EXP GDC. I get a Code 43 error on windows 10 and code 12 on windows 7. I tried a GTX 1060 first but getting to know about the hotplug issue, I decided to continue my testing with a old GT210 which ideally shouldnt have a problem with hotplug on. I anyways have my hotplug enabled using the unlocked bios.

I guess my problem is more towards a memory allocation problem as I see that clearly in Windows 7 with Code 12 error.

I tried different methods to delay EXP GDC timing, keeping ATX power on etc and somehow it worked twice on Windows 10 but I couldnt make it work on my will even after repeating the same steps. Another thing to note is that both times when it worked, my lan gave me unindentified network and failed to work even after disabling, enabling and reinstalling it, which makes me confirm that its the memory allocation issue. I tried the DSDT override too and I get the Large Memory tab too, but my mPCIe slot doesnt get allocated to it.

Looking for immediate help from anyone who could help.

Thanks

ReplyQuote