2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + GTX1080@32Gbps-TB3 (Aorus Gaming Box) + macOS10.13.2 & Win10 [ghostronaut]  

ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 24, 2018 10:28 am  

Info: Originally, this was a post i started because I had issues getting my Gaming Box to work on my machine. I have since resolved those issues and have updated the post title. In the following I describe my setup und method of getting the Gaming Box 1080 to work. The original post is quoted at the bottom of this post, for safekeeping.

Aorus Gaming Box 1080 on Macbook Pro 15" 2017 (Touch Bar) with Radeon 560

I have now gotten my Gaming Box 1080 to work without much issues in macOS High Sierra as well as Windows 10 (Bootcamp).

It only works with an external screen, I have not followed the efi / integrated.bat tutorial to get it to work on the laptop screen! I might try that in the future, for now I'm happy that its working at all 😉

Initially I had all kinds of trouble getting the Box to be recognized under Windows 10. Following are some insights into my installation process and current setup for both macOS and Win10.

macOS High Sierra

Installing the Box on macOS was not much of a hassle, all I had to do was install the script by Yifanlu ( https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra ) so I could install Nvidia Web Drivers. After that, it was a simple matter of plugging in the Gaming Box (I'm using the left side Thunderbolt ports, although there are reports that all of them work) and I was good to go.

Startup process macOS: Boot into macOS login screen, hot plugin Gaming Box with external screen attached. Wait until the OS recognises the Box and the external screen takes over. Login, and you are good to go. Do not plugin the Box before the login screen. macOS will not recognise it properly and you will have issues (well, I do at least). Hot plugging in the box during runtime requires at least a log out, but I would not recommend it.

Shutdown process macOS: Haven't found a good way of doing this yet. Hot-unplugging the Box crashes macOS, but even shutting down macOS and then unplugging the Box results in a "Your system had to restart because of a problem" screen. It seems the Box keeps the machine running even after shutdown. So yes, right now I am shutting down the OS, unplugging the Box and accepting the fact that the OS reboots after that. I hope this is resolved in future High Sierra updates, I have not yet tested the new Beta which is supposed to have much better eGPU support.

Benchmarking:

As I use macOS for productive purposes (video editing, color grading), I have not much interest in gaming on this OS, but I did a Heaven benchmark anyways:

a01
a03

Not bad, I'd say. For those of you who also use their mac for content creation: I set up Davinci Resolve to use CUDA with the Gaming Box and got about 300%  (!) increase in render speed on an effects heavy project (all clips with noise reduction and 5+ nodes). Which is, pretty awesome. Although I have now less time for coffee breaks. Oh well.

Windows 10 (Bootcamp)

Installing on Windows10 was ... cumbersome, at first. I had issues. Lots of them. When I finally got the Box to be recognized and kind of work, the output I got was nowhere near what it should be (~40fps Heaven Benchmark values and the like, Prey on 1920x1200 Ultra ~30fps). After some Windows update (which I hoped would improve things) nothing worked anymore. The Box wasn't even recognized anymore.

So what I did is, I used the "restore PC" function under Windows. Essentially, I decided to set up Windows 10 fresh. I guess you could also do a proper clean install, but I wanted to try this (much faster) option first. So, I reset Windows. Then, I had to go back into macOS and startup the Bootcamp Assistant, as all the Bootcamp drivers where obviously deleted in the reset process, and not much was working under Windows anymore. In Bootcamp Assist, go to the top menu item "Action" and hit "Download Windows support software". It will download all the drivers you need for your Bootcamp partition. I placed them on the root of the Bootcamp partition. You can also store them on a USB stick, but thats not necessary. 

After that, booting back into Windows, I installed all the Bootcamp drivers. Restart after (actually, restart after every driver you install, ever).

Now I dared to plugin my Gaming Box. Voila! Windows did some background setting up and suddenly my external screen came to life. Clicking around a bit I could already feel that this was much more responsive than before my reset. So I downloaded Nvidia Geforce Experience, installed the newest Geforce driver. Restart after that obviously. Everything felt good, time for some ... 

Benchmarking:

Screen Shot 2018 01 25 at 15.18.47

That's a nice score. In Prey I now get an almost constant 60fps on 1920x1200 Ultra with V-Sync. Occasionally it drops to about 54fps. Awesome stuff!

So, if you are having issues like me, all I can recommend is resetting / clean installing Windows. It wasn't much of an issue for me since my machine is fairly new and I hadn't set up much in Windows yet.

Startup process Win10: So this is important. Boot into Windows and at the swirling dots hot plugin the Box. It's now or never. If you plug it in before that, Windows doesn't seem to recognise it. If you plug it in after, same problem. 

Shutdown process Win10: Just shutdown and then unplug the Box. Hot unplugging doesn't seem to crash the system though.

----

Original Post:

Hi,

after quite some trouble I finally got my Gaming Box to work under Bootcamp. The H2D and D2H readout is 2260/2677 when I start without an external screen attached to the Gaming Box (I can plug it in after boot, but if I have it plugged in at boot, I get lower readouts).

An issue I'm having is, that when I plug in an external screen via HDMI from the Gaming Box, I can not set that screen to be the main screen under display settings. That is to say I *can* set it that way in the settings, but it doesn't work. My Macbook screen continuous to be the main screen. Also I have to set everything to "duplicate screen", otherwise the scaling is off on my external device (and I can not change the scaling settings). So right now the only way this works without the scaling being way off is with the screens being mirrored, wich is kind of annoying as I basically would like to close the lid of my Macbook and only use the external screen. Any advice?

Thanks!

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 24, 2018 3:05 pm  

I wish I had an answer for you on this but I just wanted to say I have the exact same hardware as you (2017 15" MBP with RP560 and the 1080 AGP) and after trying for 12+ hours to get it to work in Boot Camp yesterday, I had zero success. I tried disabling PCIe lanes (1901 and 1905) but that led to quirks where Windows wouldn't boot or the touch bar wouldn't turn on in macOS.

I could only get as far as running apple_set_os.efi and integrated.bat, installing the Intel drivers and forcing iGPU in Boot Camp, but then all I got was a horribly flickering internal screen and nothing at all on my external monitor.

I'm about to give up. 🙁

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 24, 2018 3:26 pm  

Sorry to hear that 🙁 I had a lot of trouble as well, mainly because I crashed the machine while installing the Nvidia drivers on the first try and Windows was totally screwed after. I honestly couldn't tell you how I got it to work ...

One thing regarding "same setup": I have the Radeon 560. Not that that should make any difference.

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 24, 2018 3:31 pm  

Oops - typo. Mine has the 560 too. But I'm tempted to sell the thing until all these issues sort out - I thought I had a stronger stomach 🙂

Maybe I'll have more luck trying to get it to work in macOS instead of Boot Camp?

ReplyQuote
TheOkeland
(@theokeland)
January 24, 2018 3:32 pm  

Hey,

just got my Aorus Gaming Box 1080 an tried to get it running in Windows (Bootcamp). Getting it to run was no Problem, just plug&play, one reboot after driver installation and I was ready to go. But looking at the H2D and D2H speeds in CUDA-Z, I am experiencing only 16XX (H2D) and 17XX (D2H). The D2D Performance is about 100GiB/s. I expected values around 22XX and 26XX.

The eGPU is connected to the top-right port of my MBP.

I just unintentionally updated to macOS 10.13.3, now Windows does not even use the eGPU anymore...

I will try a complete reinstall I suppose.

@ghostronaut Could you tell us which problems you had and how you solved them?

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 24, 2018 3:37 pm  

@TheOkeland - which MBP do you own? Does it have the RP560?

ReplyQuote
TheOkeland
(@theokeland)
January 24, 2018 3:40 pm  

@ghoulish31

Yes indeed a MBP 2017 15” RP560.

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 24, 2018 4:00 pm  
Posted by: TheOkeland

Hey,

just got my Aorus Gaming Box 1080 an tried to get it running in Windows (Bootcamp). Getting it to run was no Problem, just plug&play, one reboot after driver installation and I was ready to go. But looking at the H2D and D2H speeds in CUDA-Z, I am experiencing only 16XX (H2D) and 17XX (D2H). The D2D Performance is about 100GiB/s. I expected values around 22XX and 26XX.

The eGPU is connected to the top-right port of my MBP.

I just unintentionally updated to macOS 10.13.3, know Windows does not even use the eGPU anymore...

I will try a complete reinstall I suppose.

@ghostronaut Could you tell us which problems you had and how you solved them?

I had some issues getting it to work in the beginning because I screwed up my Nvidia driver install. Other than that, it was mainly plug & play. I had the same H2D/D2H values as you at first. I'm not sure why, but now I get the expected 22xx / 26xx. I think you have to start the Macbook with the Box already attached. This post helped me a lot:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/quick-review-on-aorus-gtx-1080-gaming-box/

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 24, 2018 4:08 pm  

@ghostronaut Thanks - I remember my first attempt pretty much followed that post and I did end up with the AGB being recognized by Windows, but any time I ran a game, it would run on the RP560 and not the eGPU.

That's when I started going down the path of figuring out how to disable the RP560 dGPU, but this only led to screen flickering issues and Windows boot lockups. I've also never been able to get anything to show on my external monitor connected to the eGPU via DP.

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 24, 2018 4:23 pm  
Posted by: ghoulish31

Oops - typo. Mine has the 560 too. But I'm tempted to sell the thing until all these issues sort out - I thought I had a stronger stomach 🙂

Maybe I'll have more luck trying to get it to work in macOS instead of Boot Camp?

Funny thing: In macOS it worked without any issues. Just had to install that script that lets you install Nvidia web drivers, plug in the Box, log out and in again - boom.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Honorable Member
January 24, 2018 4:56 pm  

Sounds to me (I don’t know much to be honest, but...) that you need to delay plug your egpu. I have the same issue if I boot with mine plugged in. I boot to OS select screen, select windows, hit return, then plug once the windows logo appears with the spinning dots... might work for you?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + GTX1060@32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 24, 2018 5:36 pm  

@Eightarmedpet - I will try the hot plug but it looks like you're using a 13" MBP so you don't have to deal with a dGPU "taking over" when you get to Windows.

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 24, 2018 5:50 pm  

In macOS, I can use the GTX1080 in software like Davinci Resolve and After Effects, where I can select a GPU acceleration.

But I'm wondering if it works in games, as the display info says "Radeon 560" on both my internal screen and my external screen?!

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 24, 2018 6:17 pm  

@ghostronaut is your external screen connected to the eGPU or directly to the MBP TB3 port?

This sounds like the same result I was having - games simply won't use the eGPU.

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 24, 2018 6:46 pm  

It is connected to the Box. Mind you I'm strictly talking about macOS right now, not Bootcamp.

Turns out, Heaven does see the GTX1080, as obviously stated in the benchmark results 😉

Again, all on macOS:

Will do the same benchmarking in Windows now.

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 24, 2018 7:59 pm  

Thanks for doing this! It's helpful to see the 2017 MBP 15" working with the AGB at least in macOS - most of the guides seem to be written using the 2016 MBP 15" and there seem to be some architectural differences with the 2017 model.

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 24, 2018 9:38 pm  

I made the mistake of letting Windows install some kind of update. Now everything is broken and the box is not even recognized anymore ... argh 😉

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 25, 2018 4:25 am  

Ugh - that's too bad. I might switch from the AGB to the Sonnet RX580 box now that it looks like official eGPU support is finally here with the 10.3.4 beta. Might be the end of the line for Boot Camp for me...

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 25, 2018 6:55 am  

Well in macOS I have no issues. I get 300% speed increase in Davinci Resolve renders, which is what I use my Mac for mostly. Power of the 1080 😉

But it would be nice to get it working in Win10 for gaming as well. I guess I‘ll do a clean install of Windows and try again.

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 25, 2018 2:29 pm  

FYI: It works. It all works now. I have updated my initial post with everything I did and renamed this topic. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 25, 2018 9:00 pm  

@ghostronaut Glad you got this working! I wonder if my bad Windows experience of games using the RP560 instead of the eGPU was due to me not using the NVidia control panel to manually force the game to choose the eGPU.  I'll try this tonight to see if that option presents itself.

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 25, 2018 11:17 pm  

OMG it worked!!! Didn't have to deal with any of the integrated.bat stuff. Thank you SO MUCH @ghostronaut.

ReplyQuote
ghostronaut
(@ghostronaut)
Eminent Member
January 26, 2018 6:52 am  

OMG it worked!!! Didn't have to deal with any of the integrated.bat stuff. Thank you SO MUCH @ghostronaut.

Awesome! I didn’t know it was possible to force games to use the egpu using Nvidia control. Does that mean you can do this without an external screen?

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 26, 2018 2:29 pm  
Posted by: ghostronaut

Awesome! I didn’t know it was possible to force games to use the egpu using Nvidia control. Does that mean you can do this without an external screen?

I actually didn't have to mess with the control panel at all. For whatever reason, your method with the plug and play after a clean install just worked. I even was able to update all drivers (including the updated Graphics Driver in Apple Software Update), as well as all Windows updates and the latest Geforce drivers. It's all working exactly as expected in Boot Camp. Both the RP560 and GTX1080 show as active, and I'm getting the same bench results you are. I don't even have to hot plug - it works when connected straight off a cold boot. Of course all of this only worked because I'm using an external 4K monitor - I am not going to try forcing the GTX 1080 to use the internal screen, way too complicated for me.

The macOS side is the next challenge... I'm wary of messing with the yifanlu NvidiaEGPUSupport script ahead of 10.3.4. I tried it once and it worked (sort of), but I got incredible lag throughout the UI on the latest macOS Nvidia drivers (xx.156) and I couldn't figure out how to roll back without crashing the system and needing to wipe everything. Since I don't necessarily need the eGPU in macOS since I'm only really using it for Boot Camp gaming, it's not a big deal to just disconnect it and use a different USB-C to HDMI cable for my monitor. Getting it to work would just be more convenient to avoid switching cables and inputs.

EDIT: One more thing - when I'm in Boot Camp, I use the top left TB3 port for the eGPU. However, plugging ANYTHING into the other 3 TB3 ports will cause Windows to crash and reboot. Not sure why that is, but I have to make sure whatever USB devices I plan to use are already plugged in prior to booting into Windows.

ReplyQuote
ghoulish31
(@ghoulish31)
January 26, 2018 11:08 pm  

Went ahead and installed xx.104 in macOS and everything seems A-OK.

ReplyQuote