2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (Razer Core V2 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.14[vinhdiesel]  

RSS

vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
September 27, 2018 7:59 am  

System specs 
Macbook Mid 2014

Intel Core i7, 2,5 GHz
Nvidia GT750M dGPU
16 GB RAM
512 SSD

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core v2
Apple Thunderbolt 2/3 Adapter
Thunderbolt 2 Cable

Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 

Other hardware:

Logitech MX Master 2S
Logitech K780 Keyboard
Sony PS4
Xiaomi Desklight
Desk is all Ikea
LG 43ud79-b Monitor (wall mounted)

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps
Ran purge-wrangler and purge-nvda to get it working. 
Purge Wrangler to get the eGPU running through TB2.
Purge Nvda to get the external Monitor working.

Current problems:
Clamshell mode plug and play doesnt work with plug and play.
Using Purge nvda to get external monitor working. Internal display doesn't natively turn off though.

My Setup

mac_editor and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Estimable Member
September 28, 2018 7:09 am  

@vinhdiesel

I am using similar setup with mbp 13 2015 with the gigabyte box RX580. It is very fast and extremely quite. Do you have any benchmarks?

my Performance 

Heaven is the same as with beta 41fps Min 26/Max 80 with high settings 2x anti and test on.

FCP works with egpu and uses it for both editing, rendering. With background render off 4k video 3.45min with one transition, one generator one title and broadcast safe filter it exorts to h264 in 3.20 min. 1080p 3.35 min the same footage with all the above is exported in 2.35 min and when i take out the generator is exported in 1.25min. Awesome.
Bruce X is 25sec vs 2 min with internal iris 6100.

The only negative with public release is that compared to beta versions not all apps, especially apple apps, use the egpu automatically however they do when you click the option in finder. Strange.

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

B. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

vinhdiesel liked
ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
September 28, 2018 8:04 am  
Posted by: tsakal

@vinhdiesel

I am using similar setup with mbp 13 2015 with the gigabyte box RX580. It is very fast and extremely quite. Do you have any benchmarks?

my Performance 

Heaven is the same as with beta 41fps Min 26/Max 80 with high settings 2x anti and test on.

FCP works with egpu and uses it for both editing, rendering. With background render off 4k video 3.45min with one transition, one generator one title and broadcast safe filter it exorts to h264 in 3.20 min. 1080p 3.35 min the same footage with all the above is exported in 2.35 min and when i take out the generator is exported in 1.25min. Awesome.
Bruce X is 25sec vs 2 min with internal iris 6100.

The only negative with public release is that compared to beta versions not all apps, especially apple apps, use the egpu automatically however they do when you click the option in finder. Strange.

@tsakal
I haven't experienced any problems with epu usage so far. However, I have only tested with Dota and WoW until now. I checked the boxes in the info tab with the newest mojave release just to be sure.
I am struggling with clamshell mode and having the internal macbook screen turn off when connected to the egpu. Do you have similar problems?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
September 28, 2018 9:41 am  
Posted by: Eightarmedpet

Hardware pics please! Love Razer Cores....

yes will post them as soon as possible 🙂

My Setup

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 1, 2018 11:08 am  

@eightarmedpet updated

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 1, 2018 11:19 am  

Lovely... trying to resist ordering a core as I don't really need it and set up pics like that are defo not helping...  😉

The built quality is exceptional. However the fans can get pretty loud for a second generation product imo. Using the Sapphire RX580 now, the core fans are louder than the actual gpu.

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 1, 2018 12:13 pm  

Hmmm.. thats a worry... my Mini egpu set up was so noisy I had to replace it but that was a Thunder3 with a single fan 1060.

I'll do some googling and see if fan replacement is possible...

edit: Found a bit of info... and this... "the culprit is the tiny fan in the back, facing down.. literally a half inch above a non-vented portion of the bottom. just unplug it. or add in a resistor plug to slow it down. Check in on the temps, so if yours fries no responsibility on my end. but the thing is silent now-- if it weren't for the LEDs, I wouldn't be able to tell that it's on.
Mine ran fine with firestrike running for 24hrs, no issues so far."

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 1, 2018 12:36 pm  

what is that fan cooling so far. I wouldnt know where to unplug which cable.

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

vinhdiesel and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 2, 2018 7:38 am  

Caved in, bought one.

awesome. Did you get the core v2? Let me know how you handled those fans please!

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 2, 2018 7:45 am  

I found a cheap V1 which I will prob regret buying and sell for a V2 ending up costing me more money than I tried to save and Apple will prob announce their own version and a new Mac mini this month. 

Either way way will do! My current egpu sits on the floor but I’m planning a new desk soon which will have shelves above it where the core could sit if it’s too noisy on the desk, will update ya!

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10
---

ReplyQuote
Joikansai
(@joi_kansai)
Trusted Member
October 2, 2018 9:16 am  

From users experience on Razer forum core v1 has quiter PSU fans compared to v2. Btw i saw also in notebookforum review user who assembled  his core, for poeple who isn’t satisfied with their enclosure Fans noise and doesn’t want moding it, they buy 2m active TB3 cable and put it on floor areas instead beside the host. Razer offers that cable too actually but with their famous Razer tax for €90 :mrgreen:

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 2, 2018 11:40 am  

the only thing with the v2 is that you kind of want to have it sitting on the desk because of the port hub on the back

My Setup

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 2, 2018 11:41 am  

do you think apple will come out with their own egpu enclosure?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 2, 2018 11:54 am  

I can’t imagine using the ports much, I hear it effects performance, I may plug in my steam dongle and leave it at that. 

Apple plan on releasing a modular Mac Pro and a more pro focused Mac mini, I read between the lines and pray that translates to an egpu as part of both those solutions. 

A more realistic me very very much doubts it though.

---

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 2, 2018 1:19 pm  
Posted by: vinhdiesel

do you think apple will come out with their own egpu enclosure?

There's a strategic shift in what products Apple are willing to put their logo on. Mac accessories are not something Apple is interested in because of low margin. First they stopped making displays and the venture with LG turned out to be a mess. The Blackmagic eGPU is as close as we get to an Apple eGPU in my opinion.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

vinhdiesel liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 4, 2018 8:29 am  

when will you get your Core v1 , 

I'm considering unplugging addtional fans of my core v2 however wouldnt know which one is the loudest and wouldnt hurt the cooling as much. But the PSU and GPU have their own. Is there a lot of potential of overheating and damage you think?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 4, 2018 8:33 am  

Hey @theitsage,
shall me move this thread to build guides? Sorry for the inconvenience

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 4, 2018 10:45 am  

Hopefully my Core will arrive next week, eBay isn’t telling me much. Fan wise I’ve read it’s the very bottom fan that’s the noisy one but I just got that from forums, I’ll prob leave as is as I’ve just bought some gaming headphones which will cancel out any noise. 

---

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 4, 2018 11:07 am  

any headphones you can recommend? I dont wanna spend too much money on that

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 12, 2018 8:43 am  

@theitsage do you know why this build cannot be found under the build guides by users section?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 12, 2018 8:46 am  

@eightarmedpet any update on your core?

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 12, 2018 10:35 am  

RTX 2080's are in stock in the UK now... not sure if its worth me buying one to pair with my 2017 13inch. If the USB C port worked with my Ultrafine I prob would but haven't found anyone able to confirm...

---

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member
October 12, 2018 11:44 am  

Why can't you just use a regular RTX HDMI output. What would the benefit be? I thought the important thing is that thunderbolt 3 connection between egpu and macbook

My Setup

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
October 12, 2018 12:04 pm  

@vinhdiesel check my build links in my sig, but basically its been the bane of my eGPU life - the LG Ultrafine 5K monitor. It's a beautiful monitor and fantastic in macOS but only support TB3 input (it patches together 2 Display port signals).

I'm losing some frames as I have to pipe the eGPU power back to the laptop then out to the monitor, if the USB C/VR link works on the RTX series that will be a god send. I doubt it will but I did read somewhere that VR link combines 4 display port somethings and support up ot 8k, so I'm not giving up home yet.

Oh and those headphones I bought are amazing, incredible surround sound, crustal clear mic, and non gamer aesthetic, thoroughly recommended. Once my core arrives and I get it working (fingers crossed plug and play like my other builds) I'll prob do a new guide for fun as I am about to move house (I hope) and am designing a workspace/desk for everything to fit on perfectly.

---

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
October 12, 2018 2:18 pm  
Posted by: vinhdiesel

@theitsage do you know why this build cannot be found under the build guides by users section?

I think it's because this thread started out as a non-build guide. I moved it to the Build Guide section but it's possible @nando4 missed it.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote