2011 15" Acer Aspire AS5750-H54E/K + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win7 [FlyingTomahawk]^  

RSS

FlyingTomahawk
(@flyingtomahawk)
June 11, 2017 1:31 pm  

Hi

I think the first time all this eGPU got my attention, I was watching a video on Youtube and the guy had a GTX 960 attached to his Asus, I think, and the results where stunning. I have played Skyrim on a really low resolution with my integrated HD 3000 for over 100 hours and I always wished to have a better graphics card so that I could turn up the visual settings on various older games.

It was time to do some research and that is how I got all the hardware together and how I ended up here in this forum.
Here my Laptop specs and hardware used.

Laptop
Acer AS5750-H54E/K (2011)
Windows 7 (64-bit)
15 inch
CPU i5-2410M (2.30GHz, dual core)
RAM (upgraded from 4GB(2x2GB) to 8GB(2x4GB)
Intel HD 3000 Graphics

Enclosure: Beast EXP GDC 8.4d
Bandwidth: 04Gbps-mPCIe2
PSU: Aurum AU-600 80plus Gold 600W
Graphics card: MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III OC
Software: Setup 1.35 by Nando

At first I tried to install everything as explained in the manual for the EXP GDC 8.4d which was some bad translated Chinese to English kinda manual. The graphics card was showing but I had that Code 12 error which finally brought me here.
I bought the Setup 1.35 software from Nando which also included a link to a setup video (Dell Vostro).
I followed all the instructions and voila! Code 12 is gone and the GTX 660 runs like a charm.

At this point I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Nando for his absolute amazing support. So damn quick and reliable.

UPDATE (2017.6.26)

Feedback

I could test my setup today. (with Fraps running)
Skyrim without HD pack 60fps at Ultra setting.
Skyrim with HD pack 50-60fps at high setting.
Sniper Elite V2 max. 98fps at Ultra setting.
Mass Effect 60fps at max. setting.
Mass Effect 2 60fps at max setting.
Mass Effect 3 60fps at max setting.

Considering that my CPU is not the strongest one the GTX660 does a fantastic job.

Install steps

I also wanted to quickly list up the install steps so that it might help others.

Step 1.

Connect all the hardware according to manual and prepare a WiFi dongle.

Step 2.

Install WiFi dongle driver software

Step 3.

Open and remove WiFi module from Laptop and plug in the mPCIe cable from the Beast EXP GDV 8.4d

Step 4.

Boot up Laptop and install graphics card driver software.

Step 5.

Install Setup 1.35 by Nando using supplied installation instructions.

Step 6.

Follow the video instructions from the link provided by Nando in the e-mail (Dell Vostro video)

DONE!

Here a couple images from my current messy setup.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
FlyingTomahawk
(@flyingtomahawk)
June 12, 2017 2:22 pm  

Updated above post.
Added small feedback and install steps.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jim_survak
(@jim_survak)
Eminent Member
June 12, 2017 4:17 pm  

That's a labor of love, Tomahawk. Nicely done!

2012 Mac mini: Core i7, 16GB RAM, Toshiba 1TB SSD, Seagate 1TB HDD, Sonnet B350 w/ XFX Radeon RX-480 8GB
Custom: Ryzen 7 1700, 16GB Corasir DDR4-3200MHz RAM, 2x Corsair 500GB Neutron SSD, Seagate 3TB SSD, EVGA Nvidia 980Ti
Alienware 13: Core i5-4210U, 16GB RAM, PNY XLR8 500GB SSD, Nvidia 860m 2GB, w/ AGA

ReplyQuote
aeonia
(@aeonia)
June 29, 2017 11:52 am  
Posted by: FlyingTomahawk

Updated above post.

Are you using an external screen?

ReplyQuote
FlyingTomahawk
(@flyingtomahawk)
September 29, 2017 8:03 am  
Posted by: aeonia
Posted by: FlyingTomahawk

Updated above post.

Are you using an external screen?

So sorry for my late reply.
I mostly use the Notebook screen (1366x768) but occasionally I play on my 42inch TV at 1080p (1920x1080) . Why you ask?

ReplyQuote
Vinicius_TM
(@vinicius_tm)
October 17, 2018 11:04 pm  

I have this same notebook, my EGPU is a Beast 8.5c, Seventeen 550w Source, GTX 970 Card. This appearing black screen even though I use Nando's DIY 1.35 Setup. What can it be?

ReplyQuote