2018 15" ASUS FX504 GTX1050 + [email protected] (EXP GDC 9.0b) + Win10 [yasinnajib] // 4k60Hz Gaming  

RSS

(@yasinnajib)
October 31, 2018 2:48 am  

Hello Friends at Epgu.  This setup is my first ever eGPU build. I've wanted to do it for so long.  It's not an ideal build. Please feel free to condemn it if you find it lacking. 

System specs 
When I first bought this laptop, I was still using an 8year old MacBook Pro (Which I still love very much). 
However, due to extreme overheating, I quickly opted for a Windows-PC, and I made a few mistakes that no gamer should have overlooked. They are:
- The lack of any Thunderbolt ports 
- The lack of former research (The 8750H in this laptop overheats and throttles quite bad)

The rest of my system specs are: 
-24GB DDR4 Ram running at 2400Mhz due to the lack of bios support for XMP. 
-Samsung 970 Evo 500GB (Which I've had to remove to accommodate the EXP GDC)
-1TB HDD (Which I used to install the OS to test the setup on)

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Graphics Dock Setup: 
- 1 X EXP GDC 9.0b M2 M Key version 
- 1 X Thermaltake Litepower 450W power supply 
- 1 X Msi Gaming X GTX1070 8GB

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps

I had used up all of my budgets buying an additional EXP GDC. ( I bought the wrong version earlier) .  For this build, I used :

• 1 X wine box 
  • 1 lot of cable ties
  • 1 x Scissors 
  • A lot of patience 

The pictures are self-explanatory on how it is put together. 

I had to remove my M2 NVME SSD to accommodate the EXP GDC. 

When I first booted, my 1070 did not start at all.  After some research, I tried turning on the PSU to permanently ON by using steps from this link :
https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

By setting the PSU to always ON, the 1070 is always running. 
However, It still didn't work. The 1070 wouldn't even show up on device manager. 

Finally, I tried swapping the two HDMI cables that connect the laptop to the EXP GDC dock. 
After rebooting, I noticed a new device under display adapters in device manager. 

I quickly did a driver update from the device manager. In a matter of minutes, my 1070 was up on the device manager. 
After which, I ran the nvidia-error43-fixer script and voila! 

Total startup time, including troubleshooting: 45mins

Benchmarks 

I ran just ModernWarfare 3 on full settings at 4K60 Hz with frames limited to 6ofps. It worked so beautifully. I set the difficulty mode to "recruit" just so that I could take in the beauty and detail of the graphics. 

I've never run benchmarks before since I'm predominantly a Mac user. I'll post something this as soon I find it. 

Comments 

Please try not to get the FX504. Or Asus for that matter. The bios is locked down and is not optimised for gaming. 

I set PCI express power management to off. Sleep to "never sleep". Even so, the PCIe X4 Gen3 sets itself to 1.1. Only when I start to stress the link, it moves back to Gen3 speeds. 
Eg;
When I start modern warfare, my FPS counter shows anywhere between 1 - 50 fps. 
I play the game for 2 mins, after which I save, quit and restart the game. At this point, I get 61fps with the frame limiter or 150 - 200 fps without the frame limiter. 
Annoying as it may be, I need an unlocked bio to set the PCIe link to Gen3 speeds permanently. 

Other optimisations: 
- Disabled NVIDIA audio to provide more bandwidth to graphics

I realise that this article is sparse. Please let me know if I'll be able to add anything to it. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_gabutin)
November 30, 2018 4:26 pm  

Thank you for this awesome guide. I just got mine to work with palit gtx 1070ti and an exp gdc v9.0 m.2 m key dock

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@yasinnajib)
December 1, 2018 1:37 pm  

Hello Dennis, 
May I see your setup?
I upgraded my setup quite a bit since. 

Oh heads up. If the BIOS doesn't recognize your external monitor at first, turn off the PC. Turn it on again and hit f2 a couple of times. It will surely show up then. 
Any other problems I can help with, do let me know. 

When you get time, Please share your userbench scores. These were mine when I had the 1070.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12041586

Thanks,
- Yasin 

ReplyQuote
(@dennis_gabutin)
December 2, 2018 10:42 am  

Hi yasin. I;m planning to submit my own build guide but since we almost have the same installation I'll post it here instead. So far I was able to play CSGO, PUBG, and HITMAN 2 all on ULTRA settings on 1080p resolution. I'll post more benchmarks later. Cheers!

ReplyQuote