2013 17" ASUS G750JS (TB2) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via Apple TB3->TB adapter) + Win10 [drax392]^  

RSS

DieselDrax
(@dieseldrax)
Estimable Member
May 21, 2017 1:45 am  

nando4>> This is the first publicly documented successful eGPU implementation attaching a TB3 enclosure to a TB2 *PC* notebook via an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter.

This was a pretty straight-forward install, the Node came with firmware B1-23 and this worked with Windows 10 out of the box.  My setup is...

• ASUS G750JS with i7-4700HQ, GTX870M 3GB dGPU, 24GB memory, 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
  • Windows 10 build 15063
  • AKiTiO Node with firmware B1-25-433 (Shipped with B1-23)
  • EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming
  • NVidia driver 382.05

Connectivity is done as follows...

• ASUS -> Apple Thunderbolt cable -> Apple "TB2 <-> TB3" adapter -> AKiTiO Node
  • GTX1080Ti is connected to a Dell U3417W using a DisplayPort -> miniDisplayPort cable

3DMark benchmark results -  http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20043450?

More details

Here's a topology screenshot.  The weird thing is that HWiNFO64 is reporting 3GB instead of 11GB, but NVidia Control Panel shows the correct 11GB.  Wondering if HWiNFO64 is slightly confused because this laptop also has a GTX 870M dGPU with 3GB but it's not currently active but not disabled via Device Manager?  I just have Display Prefs set to only display on screen 2.

Also, not sure of a way to show the Node firmware version in Windows since the updater simply says that firmware update isn't supported with this device, however I can reconnect the Node to my Mac Pro to get the firmware info showing that it's the B1-25 version if necessary.

IF YOU ARE GETTING A CODE 43 IN DEVICE MANAGER: Either boot with the Node disconnected from the PC and then plug it in once you get to the login screen OR if you booted with it connected then unplug the Thunderbolt cable and wait for the GPU and audio device to register as removed.  You should hear 2 device disconnect sound effects, after the second one happens then plug the Thunderbolt cable in and the Node and eGPU will come online correctly.  IIRC, this is new behavior with the B1-25 Node firmware.  I don't recall any issues with B1-23.

YouTube video showing connection - 

Intel Skull Canyon NUC (NUC6i7KYK) - 1TB Samsung 960 EVO NMVe SSD, 32GB memory
Apple Mac Pro 2013 - Deca-core 3GHz Xeon, 32GB memory, 1TB Apple SSD, D700 dGPU, eGPU shared with above NUC.
AKiTiO Node - EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Gaming, Corsair SF600 PSU, Cougar Vortex HDB 120 case fan
2013 17" ASUS G750JS (TB2) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via Apple TB3->TB adapter) + Win10

Blackworkx, benaj13, 3RYL and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
benaj13
(@benaj13)
August 12, 2017 7:05 pm  

Hey Drax! So you're the only user who i could find who has the same setup as mine (with the exception of my computer being a G750jh rather than a G750js). My computer has a thunderbolt 1 port and is connected to the node using the apple tb3-tb2 adapter. The external gtx1080 is showing up in my device manager and is working properly (no error 43) but I have not been able to make my computer use the 1080 as it continues to use the internal 780m. Also, my node is not on the most recent firmware (I believe it is on the second to most recent firmware) as i have not been able to update it due to my computer not detecting the node but only the graphics card. I was wondering how you were able to get your computer to recognize the node as well as make use of the external graphics card. 

Thanks!

benaj13

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Blackworkx liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 12, 2017 7:09 pm  

@benaj13, please attach an external LCD to the GTX1080 to use it or disable the GTX780M in Device Manager if you want the GTX1080 to accelerate the internal LCD.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

Blackworkx and benaj13 liked
ReplyQuote
benaj13
(@benaj13)
August 12, 2017 8:09 pm  

@nando4 Thanks for the quick response! I tried plugging it into an external monitor but i'm not getting an output for some reason :/

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
maxiuca
(@maxiuca)
December 5, 2017 12:15 am  

I just wanted to report that I've successfully ran eGPU using TB1/2 (I have no idea which TB version does this laptop use as even ASUS doesn't seem to know) using the same components as the original poster and the following config:

• ASUS G751JL with i7-4720HQ, GTX965M 2GB, 32GB ram
  • Windows 10 Version 1709 build 16299.98
  • AKiTiO Node (not sure which firmware as I can't update through TB2 my only TB3 cable is not working)
  • nVidia GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
  • nVidia driver 388.43

Runs [email protected] smoothly. I've been working now the whole day with this config and it seems rock stable.

I had to reinstall the OS from scratch and update to the newest build as the previous build (ver 160x) didn't like this config and I couldn't get it to run without crashing. Getting the card to work required several reboot and reinstallations of the nvidia driver but once it started working it's been working ever since.

Blackworkx liked
ReplyQuote
KingTorskY
(@kingtorsky)
January 13, 2018 1:33 pm  

Nice! my prayers have answered after I saw your vid, mate! I will buy a aorus gaming box for my asus g751jy and follow your setup. Hope it works fine! 

ReplyQuote
maxiuca
(@maxiuca)
February 3, 2018 8:08 pm  

Remember we both used AKiTiO Node. Anything that follows TB3 specs should work, but please report if you had success with it.

ReplyQuote
Blackworkx
(@blackworkx)
May 3, 2018 5:19 pm  

@dieseldrax
Hello Drax i have nearly the same setup like you, i got an asus g750jx (770m) and i bought an akitio node like you plus the apple tb3>tb adapter.
I have a asus gtx 1070 oc in side the node and the only thing that is not like in your setup is my tbunderbolt port don´t have the driver/software like yours, can you please tell me were do you get those drives ? 

I searched a lot on google... but no luck the only thing i found was a intel tbolt driver 16.3.61.275 that look like the newest and with that i see under tb settings/info that i don´t have any tb controller version installed called "unknown" i only see my tb software is 16.3.61.275. So i think i also need the nvm 21 and firmware like you or ?
The node is only getting recognized as an pcie-bridge, so i hope your doing well and can help me please :]

ReplyQuote
maxiuca
(@maxiuca)
May 12, 2018 8:58 pm  

The last driver to support TB2/1 is 16.3.61.275 ( http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=showdown&id=2806&lang=en), so it shoud work. 
If not you may try an earlier version (which you'll find here: http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=select&id=471&lang=en)

Which version of Windows do you use?

Also have you used any TB devices with your  laptop in the past?

Firmware of the Akitio Node should not matter, I'm still on B1-23 and the setup has been working perfecty (I have OWC ThunderBay 4 mini in the chain as well) for the last 5 months.

ReplyQuote
Blackworkx
(@blackworkx)
May 13, 2018 3:30 pm  

Thanks for your help ! But i found out that the g750jx has only tb1 Cactus Ridge
inside so i cancelt this project ... gl hf

https://imgur.com/a/u6t8aJb

ReplyQuote
Ezrabar
(@ezrabar)
August 26, 2018 4:40 pm  

I'm running the asus g751jy w/ a 1080ti. I've got it working and doing well but occasionally I get one of two errors. 

• Bluescreen w/ video_tdr_failure
  • Error 47 (My computer doesn't crash but everything reverts to my laptop screen and it says that my 1080ti has been prepped for safe removal)

The 1080ti is running the most updated drivers. I'm running apple TB2+TB2->TB3 adapter cords to the akitio node. My 1080ti is connected to my dell S2716DGR through a displayport cable. I'm using the TB2/1 16.3.61.275 driver and my akitio node is running it's factory firmware.

The only thing I can find so far that may help is updating the akitio node's firmware but it requires a TB3->TB3 connection to update that. I don't know how I can update it or where. Any ideas on that or different things I can do?

ReplyQuote