Setup & Software Discussions
2012 14" ASUS K43SM (GT630M) [2nd,2C,M] + GT 730 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + ...

2012 14" ASUS K43SM (GT630M) [2nd,2C,M] + GT 730 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10 [Conrad Delta]  

RSS

Conrad Delta
(@conrad-delta)

Hi! I created an account in egpu.io specifically for the purpose of sharing my build, because I am so glad that it worked. I hope this helps you!

LAPTOP - 2012 Asus K43SM, with the following specs:

• CPU: i5-2450U @ 2.50Ghz
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333hz (two sticks of 4GB; originally had only one stick)
  • dGPU: GT 630M (will be deactivated in this build)
  • Internal Screen: 14.0” 1366x768 panel
  • Storage: 750GB SATA at 5200rpm
  • BIOS Version: 306 (version does not seem to be relevant for my case)

eGPU HARDWARE

• EXP GDC v8.5c Beast, mPCIe version
  • PSU: Seventeam ST600PW Power Supply, rated at 600W (just some random second hand PSU I bought)
  • Using external 15” 1366x768 VGA monitor which is connected to the eGPU
  • eGPU: Palit GT 730, PCI 2.0 x 8 (borrowed from my brother, for the sake of testing the system)

PREPARATIONS - Software

Make sure to download the following software before you begin:

• The latest nVidia graphics driver from nvidia
  • DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)

PART 1 - Hardware

1. Physically install the eGPU parts - connect the GPU to the dock, and all required power connectors to their respective connections. And connect the dock to the mPCIe slot of your laptop. Fortunately you only have to remove a bottom panel (by unscrewing two Phillips screws) to access the mPCIe slot. (as shown in this picture)
  2. Connect your external monitor to your eGPU.

PART 2 - Software

1. Uninstall your current graphics drivers
    • Boot in Safe Mode
    • Run DDU
    • Uninstall drivers. (System should automatically reboot after this)
  2. Deactivate the specific PCI-to-PCI Bridge where the dGPU is connected. The tip I found from the build of ZodiusInfuser is below:
    • Go to Device Manager, then click View > Devices by Connection
    • Find the dGPU
    • Deactivate the PCI-to-PCI Bridge that has the dGPU
    • Reboot just to be sure.
  3. Install the latest nVidia graphics drivers.
  4. Restart your computer.
  5. You should be able to play now! (Sorry the table looks like a mess, but my target for doing this was to have a "working" setup and not an "elegant" setup 😀 )

INSTALLATION NOTES

My installation experience was rather straightforward, with no tweaks required (e.g. BIOS configurations, etc.) so I don't have any notes here regarding troubleshooting on specific issues.

The only “issue” I encountered was that I could not use the internal display when using the eGPU. When playing games using the internal display, it reverts to using the “Microsoft Basic Display Driver.” What I know so far is that using the internal display is not always straightforward, but that is as far as I have researched.

eGPU PERFORMANCE

Note again that I used an external 1366x768 monitor connected to the eGPU via VGA, since using the internal monitor reverted to the system using the dGPU.

Below are some screenshots:

• Heaven Uningine

• CUDA-Z
  • Also to note if this is of any value: League of Legends can run at an average 90-100fps on highest settings at 1366x768 via the Practice Tool using Ezreal and having only one bot, and while staying in the fountain. I did not get to test further because my Internet was faulty. :))
  • Was working in Far Cry, but I did not get to check the FPS. It looked like a smooth 60fps if you asked me.

OTHER COMMENTS

Purpose of Building This Setup

The purpose of creating this build is to "salvage" my laptop by deactivating its defective GT 630M dGPU but still be able to play games. When the dGPU has too much load, all displays turn black. I wanted to save my laptop since everything else was functioning ok.

Using GT 730 as the eGPU was only to experiment if an eGPU will even work in the first place. I plan to buy a GTX 750ti as my true eGPU.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Sytem info: 2012 ASUS K43SM (i5-2450U 8GB GT630M) + [email protected] + Win10 + AOC 15" Monitor (eGPU to be upgraded eventually!)

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)

This is great, kudos to you putting in the effort to saving the laptop instead of just tossing it!

My only recommendation would be replace the HDD with an SSD, it will revolutionize how responsive your PC is. You could continue to use your 750HDD as storage with a cheap USB adapter.

Good job on the build, and if keep the repair-before-replace attitude, the world needs it and it is good for your own learning. 

Dell XPS 13 9380 (i7-8565U, 16GB RAM, 1TB Samung 970 Evo Plus) + Razer Core X Chroma + AMD RX VEGA 64 Limited Edition + Acer Nitro 27" VG271UP + Acer Nitro 24" VG240Y

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Conrad Delta

Using GT 730 as the eGPU was only to experiment if an eGPU will even work in the first place. I plan to buy a GTX 750ti as my true eGPU.

A tip from a GPU collector: If you want more value for your money. I would prefer a GTX670/760 or GTX950.

Both cars are have almost double performance compared to the GTX750Ti:

-GTX670/760 about the same price with 85% more performance. Drawback: It needs more power, you will need additional PCI-e power supply. (Best value for money at all, and the most powerful of the three)
-GTX950 about 30% more expensive with 70% more performance.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
Conrad Delta
(@conrad-delta)

Posted by: Boltoway

My only recommendation would be replace the HDD with an SSD, it will revolutionize how responsive your PC is. You could continue to use your 750HDD as storage with a cheap USB adapter.

Thank you for your comment and for the SSD recommendation!

I know I said I wanted to "salvage" my laptop, but I'm actually not 100% decided on what to do after the "salvage", partly since I am also thinking of getting a new PC. (Maybe I will give my old laptop + GPU to my friend???) But I have to admit that for a while I have been pondering on getting an SSD for my laptop, so that is something that I will definitely keep in mind. 🙂

This post was modified 3 months ago

Sytem info: 2012 ASUS K43SM (i5-2450U 8GB GT630M) + [email protected] + Win10 + AOC 15" Monitor (eGPU to be upgraded eventually!)

ReplyQuote
Conrad Delta
(@conrad-delta)

Posted by: OliverB

A tip from a GPU collector: If you want more value for your money. I would prefer a GTX670/760 or GTX950.

Thank you for the GPU tip, and I was about to buy one later! I trust your wisdom when you say you are a GPU collector, but I must ask about the GPUs you recommended: Aren't they too powerful for the i5-2450M processor to handle? I've read a couple of stuff online, and the recommended i5 CPUs I see are mostly 4th gen ones. I also checked and the i5-2450M is weaker than, for example, an i5-2300 (by about more than 25%.)

ReplyQuote