2021 14" ASUS ZenBook 14 UX435EG (MX450) [11th,4C,G] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Raz...

Notifications
Clear all

2021 14" ASUS ZenBook 14 UX435EG (MX450) [11th,4C,G] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2  

RSS

Brad Jones
(@brad_jones)

System specs

Asus ZenBook 14 UX435EG - Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel Iris Xe + NVidia GeForce MX450, 1080p LCD + 1080p ScreenPad (screen turned off), running Windows 10 Pro 20H2.

eGPU hardware

Due to circumstances described in another thread, I ended up with two eGPU enclosures, a Sonnet 750W and a Razer Core X.  I decided to keep the Core X, as performance was very slightly higher with it and it's a much easier enclosure to work with, being toolless.

Video card is an EVGA GTX 970 SC, left over after my last desktop build that replaced it with an RTX 2080 Super.  I also tested a non-SC GTX 970, which was slightly slower (Time Spy about 100 points lower).

TB3 cable is a 6' active cable from Monoprice.  My goal here is that this is just the standard charging cable for my laptop while I'm on the couch; the breakout box lives under the end table.

Installation steps

Once I figured out that you actually need to plug in the top power connectors (oops), it just worked, since I already had the GeForce drivers installed.  It stuttered at first, until I disabled the MX450 and its PCI slot.  (I'm not sure if it was necessary to disable both of them.)

Benchmarks

CUDA Z

3DMark Score: 3574 on Time Spy on internal LCD.

Comments

If I'd realized just how close the MX450 and Xe are in performance, I probably wouldn't have gotten a laptop with the MX450.  (MX450 is slightly faster at DX12, Xe is slightly faster at DX11.)  The GTX970 is, of course, a lot faster than either.

2021 14" ASUS ZenBook 14 UX435EG (MX450) [11th,4C,G] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member Moderator

If I'd realized just how close the MX450 and Xe are in performance, I probably wouldn't have gotten a laptop with the MX450.  (MX450 is slightly faster at DX12, Xe is slightly faster at DX11.)  The GTX970 is, of course, a lot faster than either.

Can you elaborate on this? While they are fairly close in raw benchmarks, the MX450 appears to have far better in-game performance in the majority of titles I have seen. 

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Wikingoo eGPU) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
gerd fuafsljfe
(@gerd_fuafsljfe)
Eminent Member

Thanks for posting this link. I have been eyeing this Laptop for some time now.

I would be very thankful if you could check the CPU performance. Cinebench R20 might be good measurement there. Maybe in combination with Throttlestop to see what Wattage the CPU can sustain at what temperature.

I would also be very interested in your experience regarding the second screen. Is it possible to have it on while the eGPU is connected and if yes, then does that have impact on the gaming performance on the main screen?

2020 14" Acer Swift 3 [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Brad Jones
(@brad_jones)

@boltoway, this was just the benchmarks.  The MX450 is disabled at the moment, and the laptop is basically always plugged into the  GTX970 , so I can't give a real comparison right now.

@gerd_fuafsljfe, the eGPU does run fine with the ScreenPad active.  3DMark came in a couple percent lower with it active, close enough that I can't say it's a real effect.  (3432 Time Spy, vs. 3502 with it disabled.  Both are lower than when I ran it a couple days ago.  Benchmarks are like that sometimes.)  To get some more real-world numbers, I ran Crysis Remastered with and without the ScreenPad, with  FRAPS  running to get framerates.  Low settings (which was what it recommended), during the initial jump, I was getting right about 100FPS whether the ScreenPad was on or not.

Cinebench R20 came up at 1746 points.  I put  ThrottleStop  up on the ScreenPad while it ran, and early in the run all the cores maxed at 90-95C, then mostly backed off to around 80-85C.  Power maxed at 34.9W.

I don't generally use the ScreenPad, so I can't talk about its general utility.

2021 14" ASUS ZenBook 14 UX435EG (MX450) [11th,4C,G] + GTX 970 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

Boltoway liked
ReplyQuote
malcolve
(@malcolve)

hi guys,

i bought a new laptop.. yey!

now it has a specs of thunderbolt 4.

i tried to check using hwinfo64 and it doesn't makes sense to me.

can you guys try to help me check out with my thunderbolt?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArXucJ8rieU7gYxMUtyNTI-32SWikA

also, it is possible to increase the maximum link speed from 2.5 gbps to 8 gbps?

any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
malcolve
(@malcolve)

i also bought one but mine is without touchpad.. i have just checked mine with hwinfo64 and found out that although the laptop has built in thunderbolt 4, the maximum link width is 4x but the bandwidth link speed is only 2.5 GT/s. 

i bought this laptop because i like the fact that it is so light like 980g only plus a dgpu of MX450 and a thunderbolt 4 but i got scared when i found out that the link speed is only 2.5 and not the usual 8 GT/s because i also do have plan to use egpu and play some AAA games

so i guess, disabling the MX450 makes sense so it can allocate the whole lanes to the port?

also, @brad_jones, i have a question, if i put razer core x with 2080, do u think it is possible to play AAA games on it?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote