2017 15" ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550V (GTX1050Ti) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5500 XT @ 32Gbps-TB...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550V (GTX1050Ti) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5500 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10  

RSS

Pixuhl
(@pixuhl)

Hey all. I haven't posted for a while.

I picked up an AGB and Lenovo Yoga 730 (quickly replaced with an ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550V) for my deployment in 2018-2019. The eGPU setup worked well and satisfied my gaming desires whenever I had some spare time.

After returning home, I built a desktop PC and the AGB sat around collecting dust. Eventually I parted out the RX 580 to my friend so he could build his first gaming rig. With some upcoming training that will have me gone for the next couple a months I decided that I would plop in a new ITX card in the GGB and be on my way. After about 10 seconds of research I realized that it wasn't that simple. I quickly stumbled upon the GGB compatibility list.

Hats off to Yukikaze, Dope, and others. Following his guide, I connected the 12v to Pin1 of the PCIe Express slot, and everything just worked. Just followed his guide to a T. I re-used a wire from an old Molex to 6+2 PCIe connector I had. Finished it up and held it in place with some electrical tape. AGB not powering guide

Performance with the 5500XT isn't bad, definitely not much of an upgrade over the RX 580, I'm looking at 10% in games that aren't bottlenecked by my i7 7700HQ.

All in all, very happy. I'll probably end up keeping this enclosure and just swapping graphics card if I ever need something different. At the same time, maybe not. The 7700HQ is not holding up well. Call of Duty Warzone hates it.

Any questions, let me know. Thanks.

Photos

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago
2017 15" ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550V (GTX1050Ti) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5500 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

@pixuhl, Are you playing on internal display? And, how are the performance of Red Dead 2 on eGPU, if you play this title of course.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Pixuhl
(@pixuhl)

• @mr-ribeiro, I played on the internal last night. I can try external to see if there is a difference but AMD has AMD X Connect which is supposed to help I think. And sorry, I do not have RDR2 but triple A titles like BFV, CoD MW, and Apex Legends play nicely. 1080p medium/high 60 FPS. The CPU becomes a limiting factor. I have it undervolted and it sits at 3.4GHz. If/when the clocks drop from 3.4 GHz, the frame times become noticeably worse. I’d guess an 8750H or higher would be a good CPU to pair with it.

2017 15" ASUS Zenbook Pro UX550V (GTX1050Ti) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5500 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @pixuhl

I played on the internal last night. I can try external to see if there is a difference but AMD has AMD X Connect which is supposed to help I think. And sorry, I do not have RDR2 but triple A titles like BFV, CoD MW, and Apex Legends play nicely. 1080p medium/high 60 FPS. 

These results is on internal? If yes, your performance on internal are good.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Pixuhl
(@pixuhl)

@mr-ribeiro yes on the internal. I’m going to run 3DMark and some other game benchmarks internal vs external vs dGPU tonight.

ReplyQuote