2017 15" Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15IKB (940MX) [7th,2C,U] + GTX 660 @ 4Gbps-M.2 (EXP ...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15IKB (940MX) [7th,2C,U] + GTX 660 @ 4Gbps-M.2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10  

RSS

zaroslend1
(@zaroslend1)

Hi there, im here to share my build that is working on my Lenovo ideapad 320.

First of all sorry for my English, this isnt my native language, but ill try let very explain

System specs 

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IKB 15.6"

CPU: Intel Core i5 7200U @ 2.50GHz

iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 620 (Lenovo)

dGPU: GeForce 940mx 2Gb GDDR5 

eGPU hardware 

eGPU : 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

eGPU enclosure: EXP GDC 8.5c + NGFF M.2 A KEY CABLE

EVGA 450W external power supply

Installation Steps

1. Open laptop, remove the wifi chip and conect the ngff m2 cable, also remove DVD drive/cover so u can easily pass ur cable to conect in the dock. 

2. Acess the BIOS (pressing F2) and Disable PXE boot. and turn off your laptop 

3. Power ON ur eGPU, conecting the cable and then power ON ur laptop 

4. U should be seeing ur GPU inside Device manager as Microsoft basic adapter

5. Run DDU to remove nvidia driver and install the last driver of ur egpu using the option clean instalation

6. If your idepad 320 doenst have a 940mx, it will probaly work like plug and play.

6.1 If your ideapad320 has a 940mx and appear a yellow error (error 43) you'll probaly have to do everything like i did.

In this point, i made some test, i tried everything, and i had a poor experience,  crashing, freezing every 5 min, i was almost giving up. So i searched and i purchased the setup egpu from nando for $15

So if you're having this bad experience, follow the next steps.

egpu setup 1.35 contact @nando4 for this software.

7. Well, after you purchase the software, you install it as Nando will sent the instruction in email

8. Restart your computer, enter in the option that'll appear in your pc "DIY eGPU Setup 1.35"

9. Press 3

10. Select option Video Cards and disable dGPU

11. Go to PCI Compaction > run compaction and select the option "igpu egpu"

12. Go to endpoint and select 56.25gb-32bit

13. Go to PCIe ports > gen2 port and select your egpu

PS: You can see the name of your egpu in the blackboard in the right.

14. Go to chainloader and Test run

Now check in device maneger if its ok, if your 940mx still apper like was in my case, dont worry, just right click and unistall the drive.

Benchmarks

Heaven Benchmark 4.0:

Sem título

Comments

Now, enjoy your egpu !

After all these steps, i didnt get any crash or freeze, the system is running perfect. I hope i could help you Smile

Nerd  

2017 15" Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15IKB (940MX) [7th,2C,U] + GTX 660 @ 4Gbps-M.2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@zaroslend1, glad to hear you got it all going.

Your 7th-gen i-core CPU is capable of running the NGFF M.2 eGPU at 8Gbps. Any reason why you downgraded the link to Gen2 4Gbps?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
zaroslend1
(@zaroslend1)

@nando4, Grin  

Posted by: @nando4

Any reason why you downgraded the link to Gen2 4Gbps?

Yes, in my case i dont know why it was crashing and freezing my laptop every 10min, it was horrible, so i downgraded the link using eGPU Setup 1.35 to Gen2 and its working very well!!! I got results that i wasnt expecting.

2017 15" Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15IKB (940MX) [7th,2C,U] + GTX 660 @ 4Gbps-M.2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
zaroslend1
(@zaroslend1)

Hi there, 

I have an ideapad 320 core i5 7200u 12gb ram with a GTX 660 2gb, the eGPU is working perfectly well, but my cpu is very bad, it's always in 100% while im playing game and ever when im doing nothing in my laptop it stays arround 80, 90%. I feel that my CPU stucks my laptop a lot. 

Is there any suggestion? What should i do? Is there a way to "overclock" it or increase the power? I already heard about undervolting, is it worth to do it in my situation? If yes, how can i do it and how many should i undervolting.

About temperature, even when i'm playing it stays around 59 - 64 Cº

Ty.

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Estimable Member Moderator

@zaroslend1

While the i5 7200U is not a very powerful CPU, it should not be at 90% utilisation when you're not doing anything intensive, and ~60ºC is not even near thermal throttling. 

What I suggest you do is optimise your operating system as best you can. 

Firstly, try to isolate what is using your CPU and RAM. Open Task Manager and sort the applications by CPU and Memory to see what programs are consuming the most resources and take note of them.

While in Task Manager, under the Startup tab, disable all programs that are listed. This will stop these programs from opening when you start Windows. If you have and programs that you really want to open automatically, you can leave them.

Now open System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) and navigate to the Services tab. Select 'hide all Microsoft Devices' in the bottom left corner. Now scroll through the list and unselect any application services that you do not want to run automatically in the background. You can disable most of these, however, disabling some background services in this list may stop applications from launching correctly. If this happens, simply re-activate that program's service in this list and restart.

Finally, head to Background Apps in your Windows Settings and disable "Let Apps Run in the Background". This will free up additional resources. If you want some of these applications to continue to run, manually select them from the list instead of disabling all of them. 

Let me know how this goes. 

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Wikingoo eGPU) + Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote