2017 15" Dell Inspiron 7577 GTX1060 + GTX1070@32Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Win10 [0rabbit7]  

0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
January 21, 2018 7:07 pm  

Hello everyone,

I think I have read most if not all of the information here about the Omen GPU.  If courier scheduling is to be believed, I am going to take possession of a HP Omen eGPU with the 1070 and internal HDD sometime tomorrow.  Is there anything I should know?  I have the i5-7300hq with 8gb ram. 

If I end up having trouble, I will post a guide.  If I end up having too much trouble, maybe the Omen will go back.  I am mainly interested in using it as a port replicator, so I can plug my laptop in to one thing, and to have that one thing provide PD to another device via USBc.  We will see if it cannot do that first, then it may go back immediately.  A side benefit is I would like it to accelerate my graphics experience as an eGPU.  If not, maybe it will go back, or if the port replication works, maybe I will remove the GPU and sell it, since that market seems to be insane.  

System specs

15-inch Dell Inspiron 7577, i5-7300HQ, Intel 630, GTX 1060 maxq dGPU, Windows 10.0.16299

eGPU hardware  (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

HP Omen with the card and cord that comes from HP.  HWInfo thinks it is: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070; GP104-200 with SK Hynix RAM

Hardware pictures (note: require 5+ posts for “attach files” button to appear. Or can link from say  http://imgur.com  )

Box

The box it comes in is huge.  The thing itself is huge:

size

Installation steps 

Initially I took it out of the box, plugged it in, the system autodetected TB3 device and installed some OS software.  I installed the HP software (sp81919), note that during this process "Platform.exe stopped working."  The next screen was the seemingly successful installation of the Omen software, as that app opened.  I then installed the firmware update (sp82006) and restarted.  I then updated the nVidia driver - see some of my below comments about drivers and some interesting phenomenon.

HWInfo:

HWinfo

Benchmarks (Include a CUDA-Z or AIDA64 eGPU bandwidth pic. Optional: Valley3dmark, etc noting if it’s on internal/external LCD )

eGPU internal monitor

eGPU external monitor

(¿maybe redundant?)

dGPU internal
1070int

1070ext

Cudaz with eGPU base, no OCCudaz with eGPU overclocked +150/500:
cudazbase

cudaz

Heaven Benchmark results with the following parameters:

D3D11, 1920×1080 8xAA fullscreen, Custom / Ultra / Extreme:

minavemaxscoredisplaygpu-----Overclock
237515619001080p externaleGPU 1070+150/500
14.570.314417711080p externaleGPU 10700
22.465.411916471080p internaleGPU 10700
10.752.7112.413271080p internal display dGPU0
21.755.8120.414051080p internal display dGPU+150/500
14.944.884.611291080p internal display 

eGPU 970

20.747.388.511931080p external

eGPU 970

21.149.79912521080p external

eGPU 970

+150/500

Comments 

I would say the tl;dr of the comments in the following posts is that it works well most of the time, and when it works, it is good.  However, there is some percentage of time that it does not run smoothly, and I am still trying to source the root cause and precise remedy for the issues.

Edited: 4 months  ago

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ep0cx
(@ep0cx)
January 24, 2018 7:24 pm  

Hi, 

I recently got the same laptop so I'd love to hear how you get on. Please keep us updated  🙂 

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
January 27, 2018 2:18 am  

Hello everyone,

Preliminary tests are interesting.  It replicates my ports well, no noticeable lag with the USB ports, and the system detects everything quickly.  I like a lot about it, but there are what I would describe as a couple problems with the device. 

First, the network port is somehow wreaking havoc on my wifi network.  I'm not quite sure how to explain this, as I do not understand how these should interfere in the least.  All I know so far, is when I plug/unplug the unit into my wired network, both of my Wifi routers (one is just used for smart devices, one for phones, computers, etc.) lose their signals.  This does not happen consistently and I am 100% certain there is at least one instance when plugging it in caused the issue and unplugging it immediately resolved it.  I have a feeling that is going to be fun to troubleshoot.

Loosely steps to create the problem:

1. Follow instructions on HP's site, install, update firmware, etc.
  2. Plug GPU in, use it, etc.
  3. Disconnect GPU properly, or improperly, have it plugged in to the laptop, or not, but have it plugged into the wall "on."
  4. Wifi seems to catch on fire randomly here.
  1. Wifi seems to catch on fire randomly here.

To resolve this, so far the only thing I am aware of is unplugging the network cable.  It does not seem to matter whether the eGPU is connected to the laptop or not.

The next is also annoying, namely when using the laptop as a semi-portable device.  After the eGPU has been used and removed, the local HDMI port is not properly functioning.

I think what his happening, is when I disable the eGPU, un-plug, etc. windows defaults to running as the intel graphics.  If I plug in an external monitor then, it lights on fire.  I did not try to robustly troubleshoot this yet, but it appears as though the driver cannot work properly in that manner.  It breaks both the Intel driver and the 1060 driver as soon as I plug in an external monitor without the GPU.  It cannot be recovered without restarting the system and ensuring no monitor is plugged in. 

I removed and reinstalled the driver, then it worked fine.  Then I plugged the eGPU in, it redetected the 1070, then once I unplugged it, it broke again.

Loosely steps to create the problem:

1. Follow instructions on HP's site, install, update firmware, etc.
  2. Plug GPU in, use it, etc.
  3. Disconnect GPU properly (or unproperly, it seems like it doesn't matter).
  4. Plug regular monitor into hdmi port.
  5. Catch on fire.

The only remediation I have now is to update or remove the driver.   

Heaven Benchmark results with the 1070, D3D11, 1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen, Custom / Ultra / Extreme:

23 min 75 ave 156 max FPS, score: 1900 - 1080p external overclocked +150/+500

14.5 - 70.3 - 144, 1771 - 1080p external, base clock

22.4 - 65.4 - 119, 1647 - 1080p internal, base clock

The internal GPU, 1060 maxq is:

10.7 - 52.7 - 112.4, 1327 - 1080p internal display, base clock

21.7 - 55.8 - 120.4, 1405 - 1080p internal display +150/500

I will try to get to a 4k monitor if the HDMI port stops acting up.  If not, we may have a deal breaker.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 27, 2018 3:25 am  

@0rabbit7 , you are the first to attach an eGPU to the great value & popular Dell Inspiron 7577 . Pls consider submitting a build guide with pics to mark this important hardware combination:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/implementation-guide-template/

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
January 27, 2018 11:50 am  

So things are not going as well as they initially seemed.  I am seeing the driver software fall back to a previous version constantly.  I am not sure how or why that is, or even how that is possible to be honest.  I left the thing plugged in and on last night, and this morning I returned to my USB devices intermittently lagging, as in mouse stop, and keyboard freezing mid-typing, so it would freeze on 'o' and be something like, "wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooord."  

My computer bluescreened after I restarted too, so that's kinda nice to see.  I will try to wrap in a guide like you suggested.  Right now I am less optimistic about general stability of the setup.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 27, 2018 11:55 am  

We have seen stability issues of I/O ports on the first gen TB3 enclosures. All except the Razer Core V2 which runs two TB3 controllers in parallel having issues.  The problem there resolved if are using a firmware that statically allocates bandwidth for I/O devices, eg: CUDA-Z sees H2D of 15xx instead of 22xxMiB/s.

For now, I'd suggest run the enclosure with no I/O devices attached, simply as an eGPU. When nail that down to be stable, test the Omen I/O to see if it's functional and take it form there.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
January 27, 2018 1:06 pm  

Hello again,

I have had some success.  I am not precisely sure that I will be able to pin down a cause or solution though.  I did document what I was doing, but it does seem to be very much different from what I did before.  I think that not using the HP Omen software will make it easier...  Particularly regarding bluescreen on restart.  I am not sure if it is properly disabling / removing the 1070 from the device manager.  Anyway, here are some rough notes:

For some reason, the driver has rolled back to 387.92 twice.  I do not know what causes this yet.  nVidia installs 390.65 and that seems to go well.  This most recent time I did not do a clean install. 

With regards to connecting an external display to the laptop (after having removed the eGPU post driver install, pre-restart), I had success.  After restarting, I am able to connect to external devices, but not "the first time." There were a couple restarts, and it did not automatically turn on / come up.  However, now it seems to be working fine.  I have restart and run some loads on it, with no issues.

I think that the initial failures are being caused by the omen app.

During my fiddling I have noticed a few quirky behaviours, such as "netflix in chrome has some freezing behaviour." This is not persistent and seems to be caused randomly, but stay around for a while.  However in edge/IE it does not freeze.  This only happens on the external monitor, though no matter what GPU is connected (eGPU vs dGPU).  I do not think that is related to the eGPU but I'll work on that one later.

So all of that is great, I was able to have it working fine until restart.  I could disconnect and reconnect the eGPU, multiple monitors, display on and off.  I could have eg. both e and dGPUs running monitors simultaneously, disconnect them, disable and enable them.  All the peripherals were also working nicely... On restart got a blue screen.  I think it had something to do with how the Omen software works and not disabling the correct adapter.

Anyway, the driver has stayed updated "so far."  The biggest issue I would say for me if this returns, is that it takes probably 5-10 minutes to get the driver installed.  

I'm going to work on the guide now.

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
January 27, 2018 9:43 pm  

It's working well enough for me now, I hope that it continues to work well.  If anyone has any questions they think I can answer, I will try.

One of the things I thought of doing (and so far it has not worked out), is plug in a 970 that I have around.  Thus far it has failed to detect it.  So I'm excited to try to diagnose that.  FYI it should be supported:

https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/6vbkd1/here_is_list_cards_supported_by_the_omen/

AMD Radeon:

Amd Radeon RX 480

Amd Radeon RX 470

Amd Radeon RX 460

Amd Radeon R9 Fury

Amd Radeon R9 Nano

Amd Radeon R9 300 Series

Amd Radeon R9 290x

Amd Radeon R9 290

Amd Radeon R9 285

NVIDIA GeForce:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750

I was able to get the 970 installed.  Benchmarks on heaven of 1129 internal, 1193 external and 1252 external +150/500.  I found a bit more about why the driver "rolls back."  Basically that's the one Windows automatically detects and installs.

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
January 28, 2018 1:05 pm  

Hello everyone,

Just tested file transfer, seems to work faster than I would expect.  I did not think that a spinning disk could sustain above 100mb/s, certainly not a tiny one. Yet here we are:

file transfer

ReplyQuote
LCCM
 LCCM
(@lccm)
January 29, 2018 8:28 am  

Is that work well with internal display?

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
April 13, 2018 6:51 pm  
Posted by: LCCM

Is that work well with internal display?

I do not understand your question, but I will provide a response as best I can:

• The internal display can be pushed through the external GPU.
  • The internal display does not work as well as an external display GPU when running external GPU.
  • If you connect a powerful enough graphics card to the eGPU, then it works better on the internal display than the dedicated internal GPU

An update:
All is working well, I have a 1080ti in it now.  Love the storage feature and it works perfectly as a dock for me.

ReplyQuote
0rabbit7
(@0rabbit7)
April 29, 2018 1:59 pm  

I ended up formatting my computer, this time thunderbolt 3 was not recognized nor installed.  Downloading driver from Intel and seeing how it works:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26052/Thunderbolt-Bus-Driver-for-Windows-10-8-1-and-7-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

It is now detected.

When I ran the HP install software, one of them seems to try to reinstall thunderbolt 3, so I got an error saying a newer version exists.  I do not know why HP's software is 70mb versus intel at 7mb.

Things seem to be detected now, video - installing now, detection of keyboard, external drive, audio, etc. ,

Edited: 4 weeks  ago

ReplyQuote