Setup & Software Discussions
2016 15" Dell XPS 15 9560 (GTX1050) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Co...

2016 15" Dell XPS 15 9560 (GTX1050) [7th,4C,H] + RTX 2060 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [Palexr]  

RSS

Palexr
(@palexr)

Hi I thought I'd share my experience hooking a up Dell 9560, a Razer Core X and a RTX 2060.

System specs
Dell XPS 15 9560
i7-7700HQ
32gb Ram
GTX 1050
1tb SSD
Windows 10 Home

eGPU hardware
Razer Core X
2m TB3 cable
RTX 2060 (EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC GAMING 6GB GDDR6 Ray-Tracing Graphics Card, 1920 Core, 1365MHz GPU, 1755MHz Boost - to be precise)
Samsung 1440 monitor

Hardware pictures

Installation steps
The installation was extremely straightforward. I put the 2016 in the Razer, connected the TB3, switched the egpu on then the 9650. Installing the 2060 in the Core X was super easy, just pull out the tray, plug the card in, plug the 2+6 power connection in et voila.  The only slight niggle would be that the screw holes on the card and the Core X didn't align exactly, so I used a smaller screw which has done the trick.  The included cable is very short at 50cm, so I bought a 2m one off amazon which works fine.

Turning the 9560 on a TB3 window popped up to tell me I was connected to a display adapter which might not work.  I then got an alert about new hardware found which I managed to miss by clicking away like a loon. The upshot was that in Device Manager I now had 3 Display Adapters
1 Intel 630
1 Nvidia 1050
1 Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

I got round this by deleting the Microsoft display adapter, downloading Nvidia and searching for new drivers.  It found the 2060 automatically and installed the software. After this I set the display to "show 2" only and checked the nvidia app in the system tray which shows both graphics cards on separate tabs and which one is active/inactive to confirm the 2060 was the one in the driving seat.

If I turn the egpu on first then the 9560 the external monitor comes on straight away driven by the 2060, the internal screen stays off. Having read the comments here about egpus only really coming in to their own when using external display I haven't tried it with just the internal one yet.

I've read some comments about the Razer Core X being noisy, I have to say I haven't noticed it at all.  That's probably because I can put it further away thanks to the 2m TB3 cable rather than on the desk next to the laptop.

One thing to note is that whilst the Core X says it passes through 100w the laptop warned me that it was hooked up to an under-powered supply (65w) and would not charge.  However, it did charge whilst in use.  So I went in to the BIOS and switched off that error message.

The only thing I'd like to be able to do now is to switch the laptop on and use it without opening the lid...

Benchmarks
I haven't run any benchmarks so far, but the laptop feels much, much faster in games. I mainly play Total War games wich the 1050 struggled to play at anything over Medium settings max at 1080p. At times it would simply chug to a juddering stop in battles.  Now asking the system to automatically detect the best settings it defaults to Ultra and Max Quality. The games run very smoothly.

Shifting the GPU work to an egpu and not having the 1050 going also seems to have considerably lowered running temperatures on the laptop.  Certainly the fans don't whir up to lift-off speed anymore and I didn't experience throttling.

All these things need to be be properly benchmarked I know, but it is working for me.

Comments
The egpu has brought the best of both worlds.  A decent portable laptop that can double as a decent games PC when required.

• Future
This topic was modified 5 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote