2006 14" Dell Latitude D620 (NVS110M) [0th,2C,M] + GTX 960 @ 2Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GD...

Notifications
Clear all

2006 14" Dell Latitude D620 (NVS110M) [0th,2C,M] + GTX 960 @ 2Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10  

RSS

mixmastro
(@mixmastro)

System specs 

14" screen, intel T7600, NVS 110M, Windows 10. Linux Mint recognizes the GPU and lets me install drivers but I haven't figured out how to use it over the internal one.

eGPU hardware 

EXP GDC Beast, fake GTX 960, running on both internal LCD and external monitor. Using 2nd MPCIE slot usually used for WAN card.

Hardware pictures 

Pending

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Pretty much just install Windows 10 or run DDU. Plug the EGPU. Will only work with included drivers like other fake GPUs. I was running into a wall at first because I thought it was a real GTX 960 but the drivers weren't working. Once I realized I had been scammed and stuck to using the included drivers it worked like a charm. In reality this card must be either a GTS 450 or  a 550 TI. Can't know for certain unless I tear it appart.

Only thing is for some reason you have to set the bios to boot into internal LCD when docked. Won't work on the default setting for some reason. You must do this even if you want to use external monitor. 

Currently trying to get a GT 1030 to work but struggling with error code 12. Also looking to someday test the EGPU with an Expresscard to PCMCIA adaptor to free up the MPCIE slot for some intel turbo memory.

Benchmarks 

Pending . I can share that on unigine heaven external monitor runs at over 60fps while internal struggles between 15-28 fps. Lowering resolution on internal LCD fixes it.

Comments 

I'd like to keep this laptop going because of sentimental reasons. I was unable to game or even run geforce now because windows 10 hates this internal GPU. Work was fine using Linux. After EGPU I can game again even if this laptop can't go over this CPU or 4GB ram. I have to stuck with Windows but I'll probably give WSL or virtualbox a shot. Once I get a bigger SSD on it I'll try running some newer games at lower resolutions. 

This topic was modified 2 months ago
2006 14" Dell Latitude D620 (NVS110M) [0th,2C,M] + GTX 960 @ 2Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mixmastro
(@mixmastro)

UPDATE:

I took some Unitiy Heaven benchmarks with both internal screen and external (looping back to USB recorder since I don't have  a monitor) and I will be posting those a little later.

I will actually be starting  a new thread because this laptop became a D630 after doing some mods and fitting a D630 motherboard. I  actually got the GT 1030 to work on Windows 10 with it. Still no Linux luck.

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure I ever tried this exact thing on the D620 board. What I did to finally get over the code 12 error was get in the BIOS and start disabling almost everything I could even the drive bay. I only left the wifi and extra USB ports enabled. 

I do have to say I think the new board had something to do with it because it behaves differently as far as recognizing the EGPU. The D620 showed both cards in the device manager while the D630 will only show the EGPU when it's connected. The dedicated Quadro card will show with an error on the PCI devices list. Thw fact that WIndows 10 actually recognizes the 135m but not the 110m may be the key here.

I had no clue this would happen but I'm loving my upgrade despite still having to mod the palmrest to get a better fit. This board will let me eventually put 8GB or ram and also gives me a CPU upgrade path. Also since Windows 10 recognizes my dedicated GPU now I can use Geforce Now when I'm away from my EGPU.

2006 14" Dell Latitude D620 (NVS110M) [0th,2C,M] + GTX 960 @ 2Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote